What do you pay for balancing tires?

I tried balance beads after trying to get them balanced by several tire shops (roadforce, non roadforce) and never getting them right. The beads didn't change anything. Had the same problems, just $25 poorer. My point is that if something is wrong with the tires, no amount of balancing or balance beads will fix it.

That's exactly right.

Here is the Dyna Beads FAQ about lateral imbalance, shimmy etc.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm
Q: Can Dyna Beads fix my vehicle's [shimmy, shake, wobble?
A: In most cases, no. There are three terms commonly used to describe lateral (back and forth) movement of the steering wheel, wobble, shimmy and shake. Two of these are a result of lateral imbalance of the tire/wheel assembly.
  • Wobble - this is more a function of mechanical suspension components than anything else, but can also be a result of bent or damaged rims.
  • Mechanical Imbalance - This is lateral movement caused from tire or wheel non-uniformity or improper bead seating. Corrected by measuring the amount of tire and wheel runout and replacing the defective component.
  • Weight-related Imbalance - This is lateral movement at normal driving speeds commonly characterized as "shimmy" or "shake" resulting from unequal weight on both sides of the tire and wheel circumferential centerline. The wider the tire, the lower the aspect ratio, the more likely this is to occur.

Reactions: JMT
I'm heading back into the Ford dealer to speak to their manager about them damaging all of my rims... Every single one has the same damage. Unbelievable!

IMG_20190522_160002.jpg

IMG_20190522_160013.jpg

That is no good.
Color looks allot like Rustoleum graphite wheel paint. I use it on mine because I bash them regularly. If you get money for the damage you can just spray them.

They want me to come back in the morning to have them detail the rims and see if the scratches will wipe off... I suppose if it's only scratched on the clear maybe it'll buff out. I'm sceptical.

That is no good.
Color looks allot like Rustoleum graphite wheel paint. I use it on mine because I bash them regularly. If you get money for the damage you can just spray them.

That's what I'll probably have to do. I'm not above scratching rims or my Jeep but whenever I do it's a happy trail memory.

Reactions: pagrey
I wonder if Discount tires is a regional thing too, because it seems like a lot of you had good luck. But I have gone to 3 different ones multiple times, and they never got it close. then I ended up going to 4wheel parts and they got it right the first time.

2 of the three Discount tires had signs on the wall that said help wanted 10 dollars and hour no experience needed. That didn't instill any confidence in me, but seriously my Jeep, I took it in to Discount and after the third place and 6 times it had almost a pound of weights on my front right and no weights on my left side and it shook so violently it almost scared me to drive it. I took it to 4 wheel parts, and it was perfect with a small amount of weight on all 4 wheels. So I paid Discount to balance then and they never got it right so I paid for it again at 4wheel parts.

Then I upgraded my wheels and tires from Tire Rack and had them road force balanced. The two front ones have 1/4 ounce of weights on them and the two rears have a 1/2 oz and they are balanced perfectly.

I found a pro speed shop in Tempe though that charges 40 bucks a wheel to road force balance and I will probably use them the next time I need tires. Because taking it to two different places to get it done right is even more expensive.

Sorry to hear about your wheels that sucks man where is the pride? I hope it all works out!

I wonder if Discount tires is a regional thing too, because it seems like a lot of you had good luck. But I have gone to 3 different ones multiple times, and they never got it close. then I ended up going to 4wheel parts and they got it right the first time.

Opposite up here in UT. Like @moab mentioned earlier, the two 4WP stores here in N Utah are just awful. On more than one occasion they told me a part was in stock only to find out once I showed up and waited at the counter for 20 minutes for someone to look at me that they never actually looked it up in the system. Haven't had them do any work personally, but my coworker here had a months-long ordeal getting his JK re-geared properly.

On the other hand, I used DT to get some D-range LT tires mounted on my Silverado a couple months ago and was beyond impressed. They noted the torque spec that was used on the lug nuts and I actually observed the mechanics in the garage using a torque wrench instead of just sending them home like most do... When the guy pulled my truck around he noticed some scuffs around the rim, pointed them out to me and took it back in to clean it up. I ended up having to bring it back in for a rebalance due to a highway shimmy after a month or so, they got right to it and made it better. I'll be taking the TJ in there for new 33's soon.

When I showed up for my 8:00 appointment they tried to tell me that they couldn't get me in until the afternoon. But were able to "move things around" when I asked them to honor the appointment. Their detail guy was nothing more than a car wash guy, so after he washed my rims they asked me to take a look again, I pointed out that the scratches were super obvious still and the black marks still were all there. They did admit fault and said that it's because I probably had sand on my rims I mentioned the shop supplies fee and suggested adding $0.10 to the charge next time for a wet paper towel on each rim before balancing. They then sent me to the car body shop down the road. Thankfully I know the guy who owns the shop there and things got more friendly as he personally went around to each rim and polished them out. All in all, the scratches are still there but only noticeable up close at an angle with the right light. I'm going to move on.