What do you pay for balancing tires?

I read about it a while back when you or someone else posted on the forum. I have been intrigued ever since, but haven't looked into it. Did you do the install yourself or have someone do it for you? What was the cost for the beads/install if you can recall? It looks simple to install by removing the valve stem, but it also appears from reading their website that you need to go to a Counteract distributor to get it done. We have a few around here (mostly truck fleet places like Love's), so I may check it out when I get a chance. I know I have one wheel that is out of balance currently (my spare), so I would use that one as the guinea pig, remove the existing weights, and throw in the beads!

OP, this actually sounds much better than rebalancing all the time. Especially with off-road dirt throwing off the balancing periodically. These things wouldn't miss a beat for something like that.
I bought this TJ last Nov, rotated tires in Dec. and noticed while doing it there were no weights on any of the wheels. I personally know the guy I bought the jeep from, so I asked him about it. He told me they have counter balance beads in them. of course I said, "What?" He owns an excavating business, so he drives big rigs, he laughed when he heard the question. Said that most truckers have been using these beads for years. That was the first time I ever heard of them. Said he uses them in all his vehicles and has not had any issues.

Use the calculator for size tire and wheel in this link:
https://www.counteractbalancing.com/applications/

If you want to DIY? buy the bead packs here:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=countera...8&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=wranglerorg-20

Or find a place that does, (mostly big rig tire places) and have them do it for you. Only thing I can think of that you may want to go this route, if you have tires/wheels that are poorly made, may need more weight than what the calculator suggests. Of course, only way to figure that out is to have them spun to make sure.

Reactions: mots
I bought this TJ last Nov, rotated tires in Dec. and noticed while doing it there were no weights on any of the wheels. I personally know the guy I bought the jeep from, so I asked him about it. He told me they have counter balance beads in them. of course I said, "What?" He owns an excavating business, so he drives big rigs, he laughed when he heard the question. Said that most truckers have been using these beads for years. That was the first time I ever heard of them. Said he uses them in all his vehicles and has not had any issues.

Use the calculator for size tire and wheel in this link:
https://www.counteractbalancing.com/applications/

If you want to DIY? buy the bead packs here:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=countera...8&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=wranglerorg-20

Or find a place that does, (mostly big rig tire places) and have them do it for you. Only thing I can think of that you may want to go this route, if you have tires/wheels that are poorly made, may need more weight than what the calculator suggests. Of course, only way to figure that out is to have them spun to make sure.
As a caution to anyone considering this method, most of us have experience with the principle, we just never connected the dots. That connection will also reveal the biggest problem and not one that should be ignored. Ever hear that washing machine slamming the tub around until the speed gets high enough on an out of balance load of wet clothes in the spin cycle? The reason it smooths out is the heavy balancing fluid in the balancing ring on top of the tub finally reaches balance speed.

Until that speed though, it was shaking crap around. The same thing happens in tires. Until you get to balance speed, the tire can shake and vibrate crap under the rig. That means every time you take off from a stop or slow down below balance speed, the shimmy and shake can be present and that is taking its toll on your suspension and steering. They are far from a perfect balance method.

Reactions: toximus
I've been using beads for around five years now as I was tired of weights getting knocked off. I've used them with 31's, 33's and my current 35's. Blaine is correct in that you need to get to the balance speed for them to work, but I've found that speed is pretty low (10-15KPH), and they don't drop out of place until you're almost at a complete stop.

They might not be perfect, but they are a good alternative to weights.

I only have 31" tires, but I had my local Costco balance them a few weeks ago for $5 per tire. I thought that was pretty cheep, and they did a great job.

As a caution to anyone considering this method, most of us have experience with the principle, we just never connected the dots. That connection will also reveal the biggest problem and not one that should be ignored. Ever hear that washing machine slamming the tub around until the speed gets high enough on an out of balance load of wet clothes in the spin cycle? The reason it smooths out is the heavy balancing fluid in the balancing ring on top of the tub finally reaches balance speed.

Until that speed though, it was shaking crap around. The same thing happens in tires. Until you get to balance speed, the tire can shake and vibrate crap under the rig. That means every time you take off from a stop or slow down below balance speed, the shimmy and shake can be present and that is taking its toll on your suspension and steering. They are far from a perfect balance method.
Very true. Although a washing machine with wet clothes trying to balance that amount of weight, I would probably estimate at maybe 10lbs (could be way off here). My tires require 8oz. by the calculation. 1/2 of a pound, your probably not going to feel at low speeds. if the beads are light weight (not the stainless steel beads) they will balance at relatively very low speed. Put it this way, they are in my tires, and I feel nothing at low speeds.

Reactions: derekmac
I try to avoid most shops with a guy in a white shirt behind a counter. I drive a few miles into the city to a place where the guy behind the counter takes the tires and balances them if the shop is busy. I think you really have to talk to the person doing the work and say it needs to be zero on the machine. Service managers are taught to filter customer comments. I'd try to find an independent shop with good reviews on something like Yelp. Look for reviews by guys with big Ford and Chevy trucks, that's what you are dealing with. The prices you mention are really high but I guess it's a regional thing.

The last time I paid for a balance was maybe 6-7 y ears ago. It was at Big-O and IIRC they charged me $60 to balance all 4 tires on a pickup.

The jeep has had 3 sets of tires now, all from discount, and they dont hesitate to give me the free balance that comes with tire purchase.

Buy tires at Discount, $60 lifetime rotations and balance. It’s 50 minutes away so I do my own rotations and take in for balancing only occasionally. They’re always prompt and good, though I noticed the other day when I had them mount and balance a new spare that they did not put on a super short valve stem as I requested.
+1. You can buy the lifetime balancing even if you didn't buy the tires there.

However, check your tire pressure when they're done. Don't understand how they can't get that right.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
However, check your tire pressure when they're done. Don't understand how they can't get that right.
Right, and at our Discount they even have a little area past the garage bins where people can just drive in and have their pressure checked by a Discount employee. They've always done mine right, but I'm a stickler with 100 instructions about what I want. Most people aren't like that. I had to argue with them about torque specs on the lugs one time. The guy insisted it be 115 ft/lbs. I had him look it up. The manager came out and said there is a range on all vehicles. Our TJ's, I believe between 85 and 115. I wanted 95, so they employee learned something and I got my way and everybody won!

+1. You can buy the lifetime balancing even if you didn't buy the tires there.

Someone earlier in this thread said that they paid $40 for balancing there. Is that the fee for lifetime?

Does Discount Tire have any issues with beadlocks (assuming they're already mounted)?

DT has asked me after balancing what pressure I want them adjusted to. Their attitude and way they treat customers has been great in my dealings. Compared to the Ford dealer service desk the guy working the counter picked up the phone and dialed as soon as he saw me walking toward him, the other guy at the counter was looking at some paper work and told me to wait while he dealt with something else. And that was before any issues came up... I'm starting to think I'm better off going to DT if they'll touch beadlocks.

Right, and at our Discount they even have a little area past the garage bins where people can just drive in and have their pressure checked by a Discount employee. They've always done mine right, but I'm a stickler with 100 instructions about what I want. Most people aren't like that. I had to argue with them about torque specs on the lugs one time. The guy insisted it be 115 ft/lbs. I had him look it up. The manager came out and said there is a range on all vehicles. Our TJ's, I believe between 85 and 115. I wanted 95, so they employee learned something and I got my way and everybody won!

Welcome to the Control Freak Club. The club is internationally recognized by the Working Class of Lazy Workers (WCLW).

Edit: I probably should mention that I have nothing against people who work on my things or look down on them in any way, but the lazy ones who do are always the ones who point out to me that I'm a control freak.

• Haha
Reactions: fuse
It's extra for the lifetime deal, but not much. Maybe $20 or $25 more? Don't remember but it wasn't much.

I'm so buying that for the new Duratrac tires I got for my wife. Will they mount the tires too?

I don't know why I'm asking you this, I should just call them.

• Haha
Reactions: JLLJ and fuse
Very true. Although a washing machine with wet clothes trying to balance that amount of weight, I would probably estimate at maybe 10lbs (could be way off here). My tires require 8oz. by the calculation. 1/2 of a pound, your probably not going to feel at low speeds. if the beads are light weight (not the stainless steel beads) they will balance at relatively very low speed. Put it this way, they are in my tires, and I feel nothing at low speeds.
You are the exception. All the ones we have been around report that a significant shimmy is present at low speed.

I bought Centramatic wheel balancers so I don’t have to bother getting tires rebalanced. They’re a bit more user friendly version of beads, and generally outlast the vehicle.
http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balancer.rhtml?modelNumber=300-345
The only issue I have is that they won’t work with the Super 16” big brake kit without spacers. I imagine they would work with the 15” or 16” kits though.
Regardless, I plan to use spacers anyways, and they fit on the rears no problem.

Another brand is Balance Masters. Similar product but they use liquid Mercury:
http://www.balancemasters.com/

You are the exception. All the ones we have been around report that a significant shimmy is present at low speed.
That's my concern as well, as I read more about this method of balancing.The beads are good for up/down balance, but not for lateral (side to side) balance. So, if your wheel/tire is laterally balanced, the beads will likely work. But if not, not so much. One of the bead manufacturers explains that the beads can't fix a "shimmy" in their FAQ.

I tried balance beads after trying to get them balanced by several tire shops (roadforce, non roadforce) and never getting them right. The beads didn't change anything. Had the same problems, just $25 poorer. My point is that if something is wrong with the tires, no amount of balancing or balance beads will fix it.

Reactions: mots