What do you pay for insurance?

GTboosted

TJ Enthusiast
Mind sharing what you all pay for insurance?

I'm in SoCal, 28yr old male. No accidents or tickets and for mine its $46 per month for full coverage.

To me its cheap because I was paying $80 for a '92 Bronco. Which I thought is a lot. I lease my DD's and currently I'm at $100 per month for a 2018 SUV. The reason they told me insurance was high on the bronco was because these old suvs do a lot of damage when in accidents....so I thought the Wrangler would be the same.

It was a good surprise when they said $46!

I pay $110 a month, but that's for both our 2015 Subaru Outback and my 2005 Rubicon. The plan includes full coverage on both vehicles.

Insurance is based on so many factors that it's nearly impossible for two people to have identical rates.

Yup, that's why I mentioned some of my info.

But yeah, I'm not really trying to compare TJ vs TJ but was more curious on everyone's experience. It seems they are cheap to insure?(based on my experience with an old Bronco)

I've owned two TJs, and I will say that they are cheaper than most vehicle to insure. This is based on a lot, but I suspect that they aren't as commonly wrecked as some cars. For instance, the number one most expensive car to insure last time I checked is a Subaru WRX, as they are the most commonly wrecked and stolen, therefore it's a big liability for insurers.

I've owned two TJs, and I will say that they are cheaper than most vehicle to insure. This is based on a lot, but I suspect that they aren't as commonly wrecked as some cars. For instance, the number one most expensive car to insure last time I checked is a Subaru WRX, as they are the most commonly wrecked and stolen, therefore it's a big liability for insurers.

This is why you should buy a lambo instead. ;)

This is why you should buy a lambo instead. ;)

I used to have a '69 Camaro SS. I was shocked at how cheap it was to insure for full coverage. I talked to the insurance guy and he told me that insurance statistics show that classic cars like that are very seldom wrecked or stolen, as the people who own them hardly ever drive them. Makes perfect sense when I think about it.

Now a Lambo on the other hand, I'm very curious to know if that would be insanely expensive to insure, or cheaper than you'd expect.

$290/6 months for liability, comprehensive and collision coverages. High limits. Low deductibles. It's 3rd vehicle on policy.

Last edited:
Now a Lambo on the other hand, I'm very curious to know if that would be insanely expensive to insure, or cheaper than you'd expect.

I've always wanted to buy some scratched up super car for cheap. Like a car where the x-wife keyed it all up and smashed a window and the poor guy just wants to get rid of it. I'm sure I'd end up paying for it in other ways such as gas and maintenance though...

I can dream at least, right?

I've always wanted to buy some scratched up super car for cheap. Like a car where the x-wife keyed it all up and smashed a window and the poor guy just wants to get rid of it. I'm sure I'd end up paying for it in other ways such as gas and maintenance though...

I can dream at least, right?

I've had the same dream myself, but you're right.

You end up paying for it in so many other ways. On the second hand market you can get older BMW M cars for cheap. I bought an E39 M5 once upon a time as they were going for about 20k online (hard to believe since they were around 90k brand new on 2003). Anyhow, I thought I got a deal until I started dealing with the cost of parts and maintenance. It's absolutely unreal... You quickly understand why people ditch those things as soon as they are out of warranty.

Buying used cars like that is never the expensive part (usually). It's the parts, maintenance, and insurance that ends up killing you. Of course most people don't think about that upfront, and I too am guilty of falling into that trap. Never again!

I've had the same dream myself, but you're right.

You end up paying for it in so many other ways. On the second hand market you can get older BMW M cars for cheap. I bought an E39 M5 once upon a time as they were going for about 20k online (hard to believe since they were around 90k brand new on 2003). Anyhow, I thought I got a deal until I started dealing with the cost of parts and maintenance. It's absolutely unreal... You quickly understand why people ditch those things as soon as they are out of warranty.

Buying used cars like that is never the expensive part (usually). It's the parts, maintenance, and insurance that ends up killing you. Of course most people don't think about that upfront, and I too am guilty of falling into that trap. Never again!

Interesting.

Maybe some day we'll find that scratched one still under warranty. ;)

Reactions: Chris
Scratches arent the end of the world.

Check out my almost 20 yr old paint.
First pic is of damage and 2nd is stripped of all waxes and sealants and third pic is of compound plus polish. The other side is worse. I'm anxiously waiting to see how it comes out.

20180619_183724.jpg

20180621_231735.jpg

20180621_231722.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Chris
My 05 is just over $400 CAD a year for full coverage. We pay just over $1000 total for that and our 2015 Cherokee, which is also full coverage.

Wife and I are both 36 with clean driving records.

"Full coverage" can mean many things. It is impossible to compare premiums without knowing policy limits, deductible, whether there is coverage for uninsured or under-insured motorist, med pay, towing and car rental, etc.

Completely agree here, and in addition to this, the insured persons driving history, age, sex, etc. come into play.

For an apples to apples comparison, my 2005 LJ's insurance is $20 more per year than my 2006 Audi a4 avant. Anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control give the Audi a couple extra discounts that the LJ does not qualify for. Also, liability insurance is much higher for the LJ, probably due the rollover risk.

$441.40 every 6 months. Full coverage

Wrx is expensive. I paid 880 every 6 months.