What do you think about the cracks in my tires?

Adam Sweet

Hey all,
I just bought my first Jeep so I'm a Jeep novice. Any help in the coming months would be very much appreciated!

First things is, what do you guys think about the cracks in these tires...I really don't want to replace them because they have a ton of tread on them. As far as I've noticed they aren't losing any air. Safe to drive and just keep an eye on them? Any sort of sealer I can put around them? The only cracks I see are on the sidewalls.
I also looked quickly this morning to find the DOT to see how old they are and didn't see it on there. I can look in more detail later.
Thoughts?
IMG_0825.jpg
IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg

Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Plumber1
Hate to be another one to break the bad news, but those tires are shot regardless of the tread. The cracks in the 1st pic aren't good, but the ones in the rest of the pics that run more or less parallel to the tread right next to it and right next to the rim are worse and are signs the tire's dry rotted and the sidewalls are compromised.

The DOT medallion indicating the week and year of production is on the other (fully black) sidewall....
As others have responded... it's time to start looking for new tires.

Congratulations on the purchase.
Good looking '00.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenosha whiz six
Nice TJ man! Already got answers on your tires but just a heads up, 2000’s had a problem with cracking heads. Take a look down your oil fill and see if TUPY is stamped into the head, if it is you’re good as you have the updated head. If not, you (probably) have the problematic 0331 head. Keep an eye on oil level, coolant level, watch for coolant in oil/oil in coolant. Some people seem to have a problem, some don’t. Just somethin I’d watch out for. (y)

Welcome! Great looking TJ!

Not so great looking tires unfortunately. That is definitely a sign that age has claimed them and I have to echo what others have said, they need to be replaced.

On a side not, is your spare tire tight against the little rubber snubbers on the tailgate? It needs to be.

Thanks everyone you guys are a wealth of knowledge! I figured the tires were bad news...Do you think they will be okay to drive a week or two as I search for new ones?
Thanks for the extra insight also! I'll check on that TUPY and read more on that head issue.
Yes, Vasq it's tight!

Be very carful riding on those, especially at highway speeds. Those need to be replaced, ASAP.

The current model BFG All Terrain KO2 was introduced in 2014. Prior to the KO2 was the All Terrain KO, and they were likely on the market for 10 years or so. The tires you have appear to pre-date the KO, they're just the All Terrain. Based on that, they're likely 20 years old or close to it.

Even without the cracks, they'd still be due for replacement.

Reactions: JMT
Nice Jeep!!!!! Can't say anything about your tires that hasn't already been said.

Time for new ones!!

My jeep looks like this - if you see it coming pull over to the side of the road and stop. That way you can’t have a blow out and careen into me and end the good time I’m having right now.

Tires that bad have to be messing up the ride and handling- I realize its a chunk- facebook Marketplace is your friend- I just put basically new (50 miles) excellent tires on my TJ and F250 for 900 bucks for both vehicles combined- and I’m pretty careful about quality.

Enjoy the TJ, take it slow both on the road and making changes- this forum can make owning one a lot better. If it is recommended on here it works.

Other Jeep forum members list us as their emergency contact.

5F887FB8-16B8-464B-90F9-FFEF0A3CB6B5.jpeg

Haha thanks everyone! I won't drive it until I get some new tires on it. I tried to read the DOT and I can't even tell what it says so that's a pretty clear indication of the age.
I found some Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP 33x12.5x15 (same as I currently have) on facebook. Brand new for $680. Any thoughts? I thought that was a good price but has anyone else had experience with these tires?

Reactions: JMT
I would not drive on those at all, at any speed except maybe on a crawl trail. Absolutely not on the road. That's some serious dry rot.

Society in general needs more education on dry rot. It'll ruin tires in some cases long before the tread wears away.

I don't scare as easily as some to when it comes to old tires. I had one tire that was 30 years old when I replaced it - it looked fine. I even had a tire on a utility trailer that was 50 years old if it was a day! BUT - I'd sure as Hell replace tires like the OP's "right now"! Cracks like that are a ticking time bomb.

Reactions: Irun