What do you think about the cracks in my tires?

They are perfect trail tires because will save you some time when you need to air down. Hopefully you're in the trail when they do it.

• Haha
Reactions: Tob
The current model BFG All Terrain KO2 was introduced in 2014. Prior to the KO2 was the All Terrain KO, and they were likely on the market for 10 years or so. The tires you have appear to pre-date the KO, they're just the All Terrain. Based on that, they're likely 20 years old or close to it.

Even without the cracks, they'd still be due for replacement.

Agree with this, those have got to be pretty old. I had a set of the all terrain KO around 10 years ago and they had a different tread pattern. My only trip on those tires would be using side streets to get to the tire shop.

Reactions: deadbeat son
My LJ had a set of Coopers with a 2011 date code on them. They had a ton of tread and zero cracks and I still junked them just because of the age. I wouldn't drive to the tire shop on those tires you posted above...

I don't scare as easily as some to when it comes to old tires. I had one tire that was 30 years old when I replaced it - it looked fine. I even had a tire on a utility trailer that was 50 years old if it was a day! BUT - I'd sure as Hell replace tires like the OP's "right now"! Cracks like that are a ticking time bomb.
Cracks and rot don't just happen on the outside, did you pull them off the rims and look inside closely? :)

Cracks and rot don't just happen on the outside, did you pull them off the rims and look inside closely? :)
Do you think this could have been caused by the PO travelling on paved roads without airing back up? I dont think I have ever seen all tires rot unless it was a barn find or rusted out field art.
My factory spare that had never been off the carrier for 15 years looked a bit like the first pic.

Do you think this could have been caused by the PO travelling on paved roads without airing back up? I dont think I have ever seen all tires rot unless it was a barn find or rusted out field art.
My factory spare that had never been off the carrier for 15 years looked a bit like the first pic.
sun, heat, improper inflation, age... many variables are in play.

As an ex professional truck driver who's driven well over a million miles personally and professionally, I've seen enough tire blow-outs to personally decide I'll never run a tire over 6 years old on the freeway no matter how it looks. Just like I'll never let my tires get down to the "wear marks" before replacing them.

Nope. As far as the 30 year old tire went, I got rid of it. The 50 year old? I didn't care, it was on a utility trailer and had a tube...

Hey all,
I just bought my first Jeep so I'm a Jeep novice. Any help in the coming months would be very much appreciated!

First things is, what do you guys think about the cracks in these tires...I really don't want to replace them because they have a ton of tread on them. As far as I've noticed they aren't losing any air. Safe to drive and just keep an eye on them? Any sort of sealer I can put around them? The only cracks I see are on the sidewalls.
I also looked quickly this morning to find the DOT to see how old they are and didn't see it on there. I can look in more detail later.
Thoughts?View attachment 283267View attachment 283269View attachment 283270View attachment 283271View attachment 283272

Thanks!
I've seen bigger cracks and I've seen smaller cracks but I think your cracks are the cleanest cracks around.

• Haha
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
sun, heat, improper inflation, age... many variables are in play.

As an ex professional truck driver who's driven well over a million miles personally and professionally, I've seen enough tire blow-outs to personally decide I'll never run a tire over 6 years old on the freeway no matter how it looks. Just like I'll never let my tires get down to the "wear marks" before replacing them.
Most trucks run Bandags on the trailers here in oz there's more tread on the hard shoulder than road kill skippy! :)

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
Haha thanks everyone! I won't drive it until I get some new tires on it. I tried to read the DOT and I can't even tell what it says so that's a pretty clear indication of the age.
I found some Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP 33x12.5x15 (same as I currently have) on facebook. Brand new for $680. Any thoughts? I thought that was a good price but has anyone else had experience with these tires?
I haven’t had those tires, but I’ve read decent reviews. Go get’em!

The current model BFG All Terrain KO2 was introduced in 2014. Prior to the KO2 was the All Terrain KO, and they were likely on the market for 10 years or so. The tires you have appear to pre-date the KO, they're just the All Terrain. Based on that, they're likely 20 years old or close to it.

Even without the cracks, they'd still be due for replacement.
Those tires are at least 20 years old. I purchased KO's when they first hit the market in late ‘99 or early ‘00.

Reactions: deadbeat son
Welcome and congratulations from another new member. Good looking jeep. Those cracks that run parallel to the bead are extremely dangerous though.