What do you think is the best all-terrain tire for the TJ?

Having run both the Duratrac and the KO2 extensively, they are both excellent in just about any terrain you can throw at them, including snow.

My vote goes to the KO2 though, as it's quieter on the road than the Duratrac. Other than that though, they are both excellent choices, and IMHO two of the best A/T tires you can get.

I have been happy with Generals AT2 until i noticed that after 25000 miles threads are more than half way worn out.
Their advertised thread warranty is 60000 miles, at this rate they wont last till 35000 before needing to be replaced.

Got in touch with General, their answer was that warranty excludes LT tires and record of 6000 mile rotation must be provided. Pretty much a customer service way of saying "fuck off".

Already have KO2 and Duratrac in the shopping cart, just need to make up my mind on which to get. Leaning towards Duras, but i read they are a bit noisy-er-ishhh,

BFG KO2 for sure. I’ve run the bfg at on every truck I’ve owned for the CB last 25 years and they have always worn well, lasted a long time an been quiet.

We have ran BF on our last 4 rigs. (3 AT 1MT). Loved them all. This one came with duratracs, and they have performed well. I will say though they seem to be a bit louder than any of my previous BF’s. Hard to say next spring where we go with new shoes

If you have to deal with snow/ice road conditions then I feel the Cooper AT3 4s LT is the best. If not, then there are really good tires made by pretty much all major brands. Tire tech has improved dramatically in the last 5 years or so. If you are looking for a more aggressive tread the new pack of 'teen's tires are hard to beat. Cooper STT are an excellent example.

If you have to deal with snow/ice road conditions then I feel the Cooper AT3 4s LT is the best. If not, then there are really good tires made by pretty much all major brands. Tire tech has improved dramatically in the last 5 years or so. If you are looking for a more aggressive tread the new pack of 'teen's tires are hard to beat. Cooper STT are an excellent example.

I was looking at the AT3 LT's in 265 size. Comes in C load rating. Looks like a great choice.

So far so good with Dick Cepek Fun Country at 33x12.5x15. I don't see many of these around.

https://www.dickcepek.com/tires/fun-country
If I was to go with a "P" rated tire, the best I have experienced is the Falken WildPeak A/T3W. I had them on my Expedition and will put them on my next Jeep (coming soon). You cannot beat their performance for the $.

Reactions: Hunter Rich
Another for the KO2, so far I have zero complaints about them in snow, offroad and onroad and the wear seems consistent. Granted, I’ve not run anything other than MTRs in the LJ so I’m sure there’s others that are equally good.

I've lost track now of how many sets of BFGs I've run, including the KO and now KO2. My pickup (currently on some store brand passenger car style tire) and my wife's 4runner (currently on Cooper AT3) will need tires in the next year and they'll both be getting KO2's as well. IMO, they barely even belong in the same tire class as most other AT's just based on their looks. They have the most pronounced side lugs I've seen outside an M/T, which is probably my favorite feature (a lot of other ATs side lugs look superficial, like they're just tacked on to the tire carcass and would rip off if they actually met a rock....Duratracs in particular). They also seem to run a little lighter than most tires in the same size, and they're quiet.

The next tires on my Jeep are probably going to be KM3s, but mostly just because, not due to any shortcoming I've experienced with the KO2s. And I've got plenty of time to change my mind as they only have 15k miles on them and only see about 5k/year.

I think this video describes the options pretty well. The video isn't the greatest but it does do a pretty good job describing and showing the alternatives side-by-side. I think the important thing is all the tires this guy suggests are just different, not better or worse.

Reactions: Jason06
My short list for all terrain tires (I currently own or have previously owned all of these tires) :

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 - because this tire belongs at the top of every AT tire list. [I've owned several sets through the years, expensive but you get what you pay for.]

Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx - an aggressive AT tire with Cooper's tough Armor Tec3 tire carcass, marketed as a "commercial traction" tire. [Recently replaced at 45,000 miles with Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT.]

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 - another aggressive AT tire manufactured by Cooper, with the same tough Armor Tec3 tire carcass as the Cooper ST/Maxx. [Currently on my Jeep.]

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT - slightly less aggressive tread than the ST/Maxx and 2-ply rather than 3-ply sidewalls, but with a 60,000 mile tread warranty. A very highly regarded tire among the overlanding community. The tread is similar to the old Yokohama Geolander AT of the late 1990's/early 2000's which worked well for me at Moab and on the Dusy Ershim and Rubicon trails. I recently used Cooper Discoverer AT3's on a month-long overlanding trip in Mexico - excellent performance in all terrain.

I do not care for the Goodyear Duratrac no matter how popular they may be in some circles. The sidewalls have been degraded from 3-ply to 2-ply in most sizes appropriate for jeeps and the relatively soft rubber compound that aids traction reduces longevity significantly such that they are no bargain in the long run. IMO, the BFG All-Terrain T/A K02 is a better buy than a Duratrac.

YMMV.

I have really like Cooper's AT3 and ST Maxx tires. Got over the 65,000mile rating from both of them. BFG's are nice also can't attest to the mileage of them as I didn't run mine long enough to find out.

Reactions: Flivver250
My short list for all terrain tires (I currently own or have previously owned all of these tires) :

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 - because this tire belongs at the top of every AT tire list. [I've owned several sets through the years, expensive but you get what you pay for.]

Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx - an aggressive AT tire with Cooper's tough Armor Tec3 tire carcass, marketed as a "commercial traction" tire. [Recently replaced at 45,000 miles with Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT.]

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 - another aggressive AT tire manufactured by Cooper, with the same tough Armor Tec3 tire carcass as the Cooper ST/Maxx. [Currently on my Jeep.]

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT - slightly less aggressive tread than the ST/Maxx and 2-ply rather than 3-ply sidewalls, but with a 60,000 mile tread warranty. A very highly regarded tire among the overlanding community. The tread is similar to the old Yokohama Geolander AT of the late 1990's/early 2000's which worked well for me at Moab and on the Dusy Ershim and Rubicon trails. I recently used Cooper Discoverer AT3's on a month-long overlanding trip in Mexico - excellent performance in all terrain.

I do not care for the Goodyear Duratrac no matter how popular they may be in some circles. The sidewalls have been degraded from 3-ply to 2-ply in most sizes appropriate for jeeps and the relatively soft rubber compound that aids traction reduces longevity significantly such that they are no bargain in the long run. IMO, the BFG All-Terrain T/A K02 is a better buy than a Duratrac.

YMMV.

I always saw KO2 and Duratrac as options that stand out, everything else is in the same ballpark in my eyes.
I have only seen 2 other manufacturers that use same thread pattern as KO2, and it is a good pattern, it works. When i thought of a AT tire that would be a perfect middle between AT and MT, Duratracs fit the description just as i imagined it.

Looking at the Discover AT3 LT right now, and thinking, why not Wrangler Adventure with kevlar?
Or why not some other option similar to Wrangler Adventure, but not Wrangler Adventure?

It is difficult to make a decision for a first timer without knowing from own experience. At least i can look at the KO2 and Duras and be like "alright, i see flavor of the juice you drinking", but with Discover AT3 im like where is the magic in this water?

I dont know, saw your suggestion, that got me thinking and i started typing.
I think topics like this would be much easier if people would list what to avoid, and rest is on the buyer.

. . . Looking at the Discover[er] AT3 LT right now . . . I'm like 'where is the magic in this water' . . . ?

As noted, the Cooper Discoverer AT3 is a highly regarded tire among the overlanding community. Although originally known simply as the AT3, Cooper has now segmented the Discoverer AT3 line into the AT3-LT, AT3-XLT, and AT3-4S versions. [There is also the Cooper Discoverer ATP, but that is a Discount/America's Tire-only model that is missing some of the features of the other Cooper AT3 tires and is marketed at a lower price point. I am not recommending the ATP.]

These links will take you to reviews of what is now designated as the Cooper Discoverer AT3-LT or AT3- XLT depending upon size:

https://expeditionportal.com/cooper-discoverer-a-t3/
https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/
A bit of googling should net some other clues as to the 'magic in the water,' whatever that may be.