What do you think of this rust?

Greenmachine

TJ Enthusiast
Hey! What do you all think of this rust? Nevermind price, miles, model options, etc..just wondering about rust, I can value the other things...

AA968934-DD6E-48DD-BD72-3ACAB1EFDBDE.png

9EAD968E-C7F1-48B9-ABF9-D3772B4B783A.png

27CE1AE7-5AAF-49D4-93C9-B51CEE97FA07.png

39198444-9F09-44B1-B519-90E1C883F19C.png

It doesn’t look bad at all except for the bottom of the rail sandwiches under the skid plate which makes me think that it might spin the nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks decent (and quite good for a Northeast Jeep). But, definitely stick your fingers in the holes to check for chunks of rust. That really is the only way to know for sure. The rust under the skid plate looks a bit scaly in pic #3.

I'll bet those nutserts aren't in great shape, but they are replaceable if the frame is OK.

Take a close look at the skid plate and frame rust. Here's a picture of part of what I pulled out of mine. I'm not sure if it's part of the frame, part of the plate or parts of both rusted together. It really irritated me to find it considering my frame looked just like your other pictures. Luckily doing a further check with a hammer and punch let me decide to just sand and paint. Also lucky to say that my nutserts are still in place and working fine.

IMG_20181026_090219360.jpg

IMG_20181026_090212077.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. I am not a fan of the transfer case drop spacers. However, I did use mine to get some space between the skid and frame. It keeps moisture from sticking around. My last TJ was worse than yours and my nutserts were toast.

Take a close look at the skid plate and frame rust. Here's a picture of part of what I pulled out of mine. I'm not sure if it's part of the frame, part of the plate or parts of both rusted together. It really irritated me to find it considering my frame looked just like your other pictures. Luckily doing a further check with a hammer and punch let me decide to just sand and paint. Also lucky to say that my nutserts are still in place and working fine.

View attachment 64016

View attachment 64017
I had those exact "pads" of rust come off mine when I dropped the skid plate...I believe there were 4 of them. Funny thing was there was no frame or skid damage, not even a depression in either to think they flaked off them. I am wondering if it some sort of metal shim or something put in the by the factory.