What do you use for GPS?

59 wagon man

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
so one thing i have learned over the yrs is that manufacturers don't always tell the truth. so i figured i would ask people who use them ,what they had and their opinion.
so yesterday when i was in the big cypress i saw my NPS map go flying out the roof but luckily i had a basic copy with me but then i realized even though i had the map it didn't show all the roads i was on . well obvisiously i found my way out but my Verizon phone was useless so please enlighten me

My two cents:

1. GPS can be a valuable tool, but it is no substitute for a paper map, compass and a pencil. Always carry these in addition to a GPS unit.

2. The navigation app provided by your cell phone carrier may be useless without a cell signal, but your cell phone's GPS capability is independent of a phone signal. There are several computer navigation programs and apps that work with tablets and laptops, both independently and in conjunction with your phone regardless of whether you have cell service. Learning about these is beyond the scope of this forum. You might start following the two GPS-related subforums at ExpeditionPortal.com:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/45-GPS-and-Computers-(Hardware)
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/46-Mapping-Navigation-GIS-(Software)

3. Simple is often better. You can spend big bucks on a unit that fits into your dash, but what if you want to use your GPS to take a hike to that perfect fishing spot that is off limits to motorized vehicles? That's why I like hand held units.

4. Learn how to use GPS before you buy anything. There are classes. I first learned as a volunteer adult leader at a Boy Scout camp. I later took a class offered by REI.

5. Borrow or rent a GPS unit before you buy. There is no better way to find out what you need and what you don't.

6. I am partial to Garmin units because it is the dominant company in the marketplace and therefore there are numerous tutorials, maps, discussion groups, etc. for them. Lowrance and Magellan are also good brands.

I have been using a Garmin GPSMAP60CSsx handheld GPS unit in my offroad vehicles for many years. The screen may be smaller than an in-dash GPS or an app for a Tablet, but I have no problem reading it. It is a rugged unit, and although no longer available one can sometimes find them for sale. The newest versions of the same series start with the Garmin GPSMAP 64.

GPSMAP60CSx
cf-lg.jpg

GPSMAP 64
cf-lg.jpg

Have fun.

I've been using Garmin Nuvi units for more then 10 years. Here in Colorado, most of the legal trails are county or Forest Service roads and appear on Garmin. If they don't appear or disappear on the map, Garmin leaves a "breadcrumb" trail that allows you to back track.

Reactions: Steven_Olson
Even google maps will let you download maps to your phone. There's a bunch of different mapping apps that will do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Even google maps will let you download maps to your phone. There's a bunch of different mapping apps that will do the same thing.

There are many great mapping resources that can be downloaded to a phone. I use several of them but don't claim to be proficient with any. But ask yourself what happens when a phone dies or is lost? Unfortunately the map is lost too.

I carry paper maps for backup and always will. I also print my route, often downloaded from Google Maps, and leave a copy on my kitchen counter and take one with me. Then, if I don't return home when I said I would, there is a clue where to start looking. When one gets older one tends to start thinking about such things.
:thinking:

Hey now, I resemble that remark about getting older! Haha. One of the 4x4 parks here requires every vehicle to have paper maps in the rig. I've used paper maps and compass for approaching half a century and still can find things faster on one than on a gps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
I use my iphone or my good judgement. Sometimes it gets entertaining, mostly because I don't have good judgement. but I have always found my destination one way or the other.

Reactions: 59 wagon man
I use a combination of units. I use my phone when on the road as waze has better traffic data than Garmin. If there's no signal where I am I switch to a Garmin nuvi as it will show trail start locations I've added in and does an excellent job navigating roads. When I hit the trail I switch to a Garmin gpsmap 62s that I got on sale. It's quite rugged, and has excellent accuracy even under tree cover, something I find the phone doesn't do reliably. I use ram mounts for all 3 that keep them within easy viewing and in the case of the 62s it sits just to the right if the steering wheel so I can manipulate the buttons while hardly moving my hand. Some people give me a hard time for having too much tech in my TJ but I find it's a good combination. While I don't usually have a paper map of the area I'm in I do have a compass just in case. At least I wont get turned around if I have to use dead reckoning to get back.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Steven_Olson
I have a 62, the wife has a 64 and I run a tablet with FS and USGS maps loaded into mapping software. I have a map book and a compass. Out of all that the only thing that hasn't failed at least once is the compass. A compass and knowing that water runs down hill has saved my bacon more than a few times. I don't know what desert dwellers do.

I’ve been very happy with GAIA GPS for iPhone. For as cheap as it is, it’s pretty feature packed.

I carry an Anker Battery that can recharge my phone like 12 times from completely dead, so I’m fairly confident I’ll have plenty of power to navigate back to civilization in the event vehicle power isn’t available.

I also keep a paper map and compass in the bag for extremely dire emergencies.