What does “standard load” equate to on tires?

Jeff Nordeen

Supporting Member
I read the thread about load rating of C being the ideal for comfortable driving. Is standard load similar to a c rating? Please advise. Thanks in advance, Jeff

From the research I've done, Standard Load (SL) & Extra Load are for P-metric tires (mostly passenger vehicles). C, D, and E load ratings are for LT, light truck, tires.

In p-metric, standard load rating tires are limited to 35psi,
extra load rating tires are allowed to go to 41psi.

There is zero correlation to light truck ratings.

Thanks for the help guys and sorry for the vague post. I'm looking to buy a set of stock tires/wheels off a '15 Wrangler and I had the lady send me some pics of the tires. There is no "Load Rating" other than "Standard Load". They are Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's. Does that help?

Reactions: SSTJ
Thanks for the help guys and sorry for the vague post. I'm looking to buy a set of stock tires/wheels off a '15 Wrangler and I had the lady send me some pics of the tires. There is no "Load Rating" other than "Standard Load". They are Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's. Does that help?
Pretty sure those are the stock tires on a JK Sport. Pretty generic Goodyear tires. They're ok, but nothing to write home about. Unless yours are shot, and you're getting a killer deal. You probably know this - you'll need wheel adapters to run those wheels on a TJ...

Pretty sure those are the stock tires on a JK Sport. Pretty generic Goodyear tires. They're ok, but nothing to write home about. Unless yours are shot, and you're getting a killer deal. You probably know this - you'll need wheel adapters to run those wheels on a TJ...

Thanks glwood, and yes mine are shot and with rims and tires (1,500 miles) they are asking $400. I've got some spacers from a buddy so I'm hoping this improves my "tank like" ride right now. :)

Thanks glwood, and yes mine are shot and with rims and tires (1,500 miles) they are asking $400. I've got some spacers from a buddy so I'm hoping this improves my "tank like" ride right now. :)
There's some members on here that run JK wheels with the different bolt pattern adapters, and they look great. You can't beat that price for (5?) wheels and tires!

Reactions: Jeff Nordeen
Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't run P-metric tires on a jeep no matter how good the price. They won't stand up to trail use. Get LT tires.
Have to agree with this. The P Series tires are fine on a JKU but if you have a more capable JK or TJ and actually leave the pavement,,,, LT tires are a better choice.

Reactions: Jeff Nordeen
Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't run P-metric tires on a jeep no matter how good the price. They won't stand up to trail use. Get LT tires.

Your opinion is valued and I agree. This jeep has over 200k miles and will be mostly driven by my 15 & 14 year old daughters. It's been my job to get it back into shape (brakes, shocks, muffler, fluids, plugs/wires, battery, etc.) but I don't think it will see much offroading other than logging roads and the like.

Reactions: glwood