What does a transfer case cable shifter do?

armaunr

Basically just the title. I’ve see a bunch of posts asking about the differences between different brands, and It seems like a lot of people get them, however I’m having a hard time figuring out what exactly they do, and if they are for manual or automatic transmissions. Thanks!

It replaces the stock push pull linkage for the transfer case allowing you to select between 2H-4H-4LO. All TJ's use the same linkage regardless of transmission.

Basically just the title. I’ve see a bunch of posts asking about the differences between different brands, and It seems like a lot of people get them, however I’m having a hard time figuring out what exactly they do, and if they are for manual or automatic transmissions. Thanks!
The original factory left a lot to be desired in the original configuration and since the linkage is mounted to the tub when a lift is added the linkage becomes a nightmare. Additionally the original linkage has several rubber isolator bushings that perish over time making the shift action even worse. The cable shifts the transfer case with a gentle smooth motion.

All TJ’s come with a bracket underneath your Transfer Case Shift Lever. It allows you to shift your transfer case from 2H to 4H-N-4L. (See your User Manual for the proper way to make these shifts.) The cable shifter replaces the factory bracket. Usually it is advised due to the misalignment of the factory bracket caused by a body lift.

Type of transmission is irrelevant.

Reactions: Jablinski and AndyG
It takes the body to transfer case relationship out of the equation - the stock linkage often gets cocked when lifts go on and it goes from bad to worse - the cable puts direct pressure from the shift lever on the transfer case actuator so it is far more efficient and has less drag ...you can shift to any mode with 2 fingers...they are so good they became stock on the JK. They are actually a bargain and can be good for the transfer case as opposed to partial engagement or loss of engagement due to chassis flex.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
It takes the body to transfer case relationship out of the equation - the stock linkage often gets cocked when lifts go on and it goes from bad to worse - the cable puts direct lever pressure on the transfer case actuator so it is far more efficient and has less drag ...you can shift to any mode with 2 fingers...they are so good they became stock on the JK. They are actually a bargain and can be good for the transfer case as opposed to partial engagement or loss of engagement due to chassis flex.
Sometimes I think it would be helpful after a thread is exhausted for one person to take all the best and most pertinent info regarding that topic and succinctly put it in one post.

Plus if you buy now you are one step closer to the “inner circle” here....your screen will change colors and women you don’t know will ask what cologne you wear. It is an amazing life once you can drop @Jerry Bransford s name at parties.

“you know, me and Jerry were just chatting about gear ratios the other day and he said......”

Last edited:
Sometimes I think it would be helpful after a thread is exhausted for one person to take all the best and most pertinent info regarding that topic and succinctly put it in one post.
Sorta my stock answer. Its’ funny, my 03 was so badly lifted it has eventually had every stinking problem ......i did a new lift and of course the linkage didn’t sign up to go along and i took my cousin out to show off my newly discovered off road prowess....this turned Into it popping out of 4lo when we really needed it ....me crying I though my transfer case was also a goner.....I was an easy sell for one.

Reactions: John Cooper
Plus if you buy now you are one step closer to the “inner circle” here....your screen will change colors and women you don’t know will ask what cologne you wear. It is an amazing life once you can drop @Jerry Bransford s name at parties.

“you know, me and Jerry were just chatting about gear ratios the other day and he said......”
So dropping @AndyG name at parties doesn't work??? Man no wonder folks don't hang around me :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

one of the best things I have done by far ,well worth the money , the factory one had to be designed by a overworked dyslexic engineering new grad that was possessed by satan 👹

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
It takes the body to transfer case relationship out of the equation - They are actually a bargain and can be good for the transfer case as opposed to partial engagement or loss of engagement due to chassis flex.
Most important aspect right there. Since the shift mechanism no longer depends on one side bolted to the tub, the drivetrain can be raised and lowered without affecting the shifter adjustment.

Reactions: AndyG and Hickey129

Like the first time one of your posts gets a thumbs up reaction from Jerry.

"So I tell the new guy that his HVAC system is blowing air from the defrost vent because of a vacuum leak and to check the lines that run under the battery tray. Got a like from @Jerry Bransford for that one, no big deal..."

Like the first time one of your posts gets a thumbs up reaction from Jerry.

"So I tell the new guy that his HVAC system is blowing air from the defrost vent because of a vacuum leak and to check the lines that run under the battery tray. Got a like from @Jerry Bransford for that one, no big deal..."
When Jerry gave me a thumbs up , I began to list it on my job resume’. I now own the company.

I have no problems with my stock linkage. It is a bit sloppy, but works every time. If you move the TC or the body the linkage will bind. Move both the same direction and it should work fine with stock linkage. My opinion is a cable shifter is a luxury unless alter the body to TC, low on my list of wants.