What does it typically cost to replace a timing chain?

JGil

Supporting Member
mechanic tells me i need the timing chain replaced on my 05', 4.0 jeep with 150k miles...
curious to find out what this might cost for parts and installation.

It may not ever fail, but they do stretch and wear. I don't know on the 4.0 but manufacturers do have replacement schedules for parts, if I had to guess, it is likely at 100,000.
100K miles is not even close for the steel timing chain, it's more like every 250-300k miles. You're probably thinking of the rubber timing belt on the 2.4L engine whose replacement is more like every 70k miles or so.

Reactions: KCsTJ
100K miles is not even close for the steel timing chain, it's more like every 250-300k miles. You're probably thinking of the rubber timing belt on the 2.4L engine whose replacement is more like every 70k miles or so.

Could any user-errors accelerate the deterioration of the timing chain, like lack of oil changes or driving like an a-hole ( treating the Jeep like a Hellcat)?

Does the 4L use a non-interfering design, meaning if the chain breaks with the piston TDC and the valve fully extended, with they hit?

edit: "will they hit"?

Last edited:
Anything can happen if an engine is abused. that's why I used the "usual" phrase in describing its usual lifespan.
Its like the old small block 350s. Or the 351s. I remember changing the timing chain often on those back in high school. But we tore the hell out of them v8s. I think the gas pedal back then was more of on off switch then a pedal.
But i agree with you the jeep 4.0l is not a race motor. And for the life of me i cant recall anyone raceing a jeep. They should last a long time.

Could any user-errors accelerate the deterioration of the timing chain, like lack of oil changes or driving like an a-hole ( treating the Jeep like a Hellcat)?
This chain is sturdier than an a-hole.
hqdefault.jpg

I did mine when I 1st got the jeep just because I was replacing all gaskets hoses etc. My Chain was slightly stretched @ 136k. It was not enough to be worrying about it for another 50k, but I was already there so I put a new chain. In the pics, if you look at the engine behind the chain, you can see just how much it stretched. The new chain had almost zero play.
20160528_152823.jpg
20160528_152831.jpg
20160604_181814.jpg

Reactions: skrelnik and KCsTJ