TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

What does the economic crash mean for citizens?

Jramos013

Supporting Member
Hi, Economic topics are not my strength. Every article i found talks about the contraction, business closings, trade value, etc. But how much would the dollar be worth after this all ends? Aside for high unemployment rate and business closing. Are the prices of everything going to get ridiculously high now? How long might this coming recession last? Is it following the path of the last great depression? Whats the outlook for the regular citizens that do honest work and pay their bills? Theres so much stuff coming out on this topic that its just a bit confusing.

tworley

Bent Currie Club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
@Equilibrium31 can throw a bunch of links and facts at you.

Wife and I are doing business as usual. Just taking each day as it comes. If either one of us become furloughed, we'll collect unemployment and reassess. We've definitely cut back on our expenses, if anything is "unnecessary", we simply wont buy it. Some things have increased in price. Meat products, for example, have increased in our area.

I've found in my short time on earth that everything ebbs and flows. While everything is shit right now, there are a few things that are opening back up and some parts of the market are doing "ok".

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
I don't know the answer, but I think pumping money into the economy will devalue the $. High unemployment will hold the value of the $.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, while crossing my fingers that my planned retirement doesn't evaporate a few years before I retire.

Reactions: Jramos013 and Chris
OP
Jramos013

Jramos013

Supporting Member
Thats kind of where im at right now, just buying essentials and trying to save for when thing gets really nasty. But is it a catch 22 kind of thing? If things get inaccesible because of high prices, people wont be able to buy stuff like they used to and just spend on essentials, food, gas etc. Thats what happened in Nazi germany at one point, the money was so devaluated that it was cheaper to burn it than to buy firewood with it. I live on a Island, everything is more expensive that in the states already and im kind of scare of how its gonna go down here after all of this is done, we’ve already been in a recession for the past 10-15 years.

tworley

Bent Currie Club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The more scared people are of spending money, the worse the economy will get.
There are a few silverlinings to this whole thing. It is incredibly tempting for me to start shopping for a new vehicle. They are offering 0% interest on brand new models here. We also refinanced our house during this period, saving us several hundred a month.

BTW- @Chris , is equillibrium no longer around?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
There are a few silverlinings to this whole thing. It is incredibly tempting for me to start shopping for a new vehicle. They are offering 0% interest on brand new models here. We also refinanced our house during this period, saving us several hundred a month.

BTW- @Chris , is equillibrium no longer around?
Yes, I’ve noticed some killer deals on Jeep parts as well! Lots of sales on just about everything.

@Equilibrium31 apparently couldn’t handle the Coronavirus thread. I’m not sure who did it, but he just got super pissed about people not believing his charts, graphs, and whatever else, and decided to up and leave.

I warned him about the political sub-forum, but I guess his skin wasn’t thick enough to deal with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Rubi04

Apparition

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I've been taking advantage of sales, I've probably bought way more stuff than I should have.

The 0% cars are enticing but I thought you lost a lot of the rebates when you finance them. Maybe I'm wrong, don't know. I'd guess there will be some very good rebates coming on autos.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
I've been taking advantage of sales, I've probably bought way more stuff than I should have.

The 0% cars are enticing but I thought you lost a lot of the rebates when you finance them. Maybe I'm wrong, don't know. I'd guess there will be some very good rebates coming on autos.
Yep, you lose all the rebates and everything when you take advantage of the 0% financing.

Not to mention the 0% doesn't apply to top tier models like the Rubicon for instance.

The sales are good though. I've been buying lots of stuff I've been finding deals on. Seems like everywhere is having sales, and I'm not complaining.

Keep buying stuff, because that's what keeps the economy going. If there is no demand, there will be no supply (or jobs).

OP
Jramos013

Jramos013

Supporting Member
Hm, so based on that we should expect to see prices going down and then eventually go up again? What are the chances of that vs another depression? I know it all hinges on when everything is reopening, but assuming its a month from now, how could it play out?

Apparition

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Hm, so based on that we should expect to see prices going down and then eventually go up again? What are the chances of that vs another depression? I know it all hinges on when everything is reopening, but assuming its a month from now, how could it play out?
Need governors to stop trying to kill the country

OP
Jramos013

Jramos013

Supporting Member
Right, but assuming everything opens again within the next month. How could it go? I just cant imagine if they open business and then go for a 2nd lockdown.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't think you'll see a second lock down.

My guess would be that once these businesses open back up, if someone tries to lock them down again, they'll defy orders (at least a lot of them will).

I've seen quite a few businesses here locally that are opening up regardless of the "orders".

At some point you have to say fuck the government. They do not know what's best for us.

Apparition

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I don't think you'll see a second lock down.

My guess would be that once these businesses open back up, if someone tries to lock them down again, they'll defy orders (at least a lot of them will).

I've seen quite a few businesses here locally that are opening up regardless of the "orders".

At some point you have to say fuck the government. They do not know what's best for us.
Not so sure of that

Pennsylvania Governor Threatens Counties That Plan to Defy Virus Shutdown Orders
Democrat Tom Wolf warns of consequences including withholding federal stimulus funds or loss of business, health licenses

• Angry

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Not so sure of that

Pennsylvania Governor Threatens Counties That Plan to Defy Virus Shutdown Orders
Democrat Tom Wolf warns of consequences including withholding federal stimulus funds or loss of business, health licenses

Well what a dickhead he is.

Of course he might find that fellow lawmakers might try to override him and form a coup, sort of like I've read they are doing in Michigan.

At what point do these idiots realize that sacrificing 1% of the population might be better than a massive, massive economic collapse?

Just imagine the wave of homelessness and poverty this is going to cause in the long term.

Rubi04

“Clackers”
Supporting Member

Of course he might find that fellow lawmakers might try to override him and form a coup, sort of like I've read they are doing in Michigan.

At what point do these idiots realize that sacrificing 1% of the population might be better than a massive, massive economic collapse?

Just imagine the wave of homelessness and poverty this is going to cause in the long term.
Hell LA county just announced another 3 more months and the city mayor stated he will keep it on permanent lockdown until a cure is found.

This is about control of people. What will need to happen is people need to flip off the government and go about their business. If the government tries to pull some bs with yanking licenses or citing health code, people need to push back.

Maybe people will open their eyes and realize just how much control they have given up for “safety” and piece of mind, NO YOU GAVE UP FREEDOM FOR PERCEIVED SECURITY!

😡

Apparition

TJ Expert
Supporting Member

I’d think it’d be pretty easy to win a lawsuit against him. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: Chris and Rubi04

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Hell LA county just announced another 3 more months and the city mayor stated he will keep it on permanent lockdown until a cure is found.

This is about control of people. What will need to happen is people need to flip off the government and go about their business. If the government tries to pull some bs with yanking licenses or citing health code, people need to push back.

Maybe people will open their eyes and realize just how much control they have given up for “safety” and piece of mind, NO YOU GAVE UP FREEDOM FOR PERCEIVED SECURITY!

😡
Keep things closed until there is a cure? Wow, what a fucking dipshit.

• Haha

Westtown Willy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
you don't know the half of it. 70% of Pennsylvania’s deaths have occurred in nursing homes, not really a surprise. However, this is Wolf's Health Secretary, "Rachel" Levine, this filthy pig of an animal sent seniors positive for the virus from hospitals back into nursing homes while simultaneously moving her mother out of one. Reminds me of the filthy cock sucking senators that sold all their stocks before the market crash using inside information.

Time to bring back the gallows

levine.PNG

https://triblive.com/local/regional...gnation-of-health-secretary-dr-rachel-levine/

https://www.abc27.com/news/pennsylv...idance-governor-insists-on-gradual-reopening/

Last edited:

Apparition

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
you don't know the half of it. 70% of Pennsylvania’s deaths have occurred in nursing homes, not really a surprise. However, this is Wolf's Health Secretary, "Rachel" Levine, this filthy pig of an animal sent seniors positive for the virus from hospitals back into nursing homes while simultaneously moving her mother out of one. Reminds me of the filthy cock sucking senators that sold all their stocks before the market crash using inside information.

Time to bring back the gallows

View attachment 161225

https://triblive.com/local/regional...gnation-of-health-secretary-dr-rachel-levine/

https://www.abc27.com/news/pennsylv...idance-governor-insists-on-gradual-reopening/
1589456788846.jpeg