What does the "T" in "TJ" stand for?

Well the answer is a bit more than one might believe...back in the late 80's a lone engineer had the desire to design what he considered to be the best "trailrated" 4x4 that could be produced for the mass market while still offering a platform to make the rig a personal item for the customer. For years he would push his ideas at every chance he had to anyone and everyone that he could hold captive.

Eventually everyone began calling his idea a TJ which is short for Theodore's Jeep. It is also a little known fact that his full name was Theodore Ruby. And thus a legend was born.

Fact is often time stranger than fiction, I mean some things you just can't make up....

I sometimes think that they should have simply continued the CJ tradition and gone with higher-numbered models. I believe they ended with the CJ-10, so a YJ would have been a CJ-11, TJ's would be CJ-12's, CJ-13 for the LJ, and so on. After all, there was a big change in body style between the CJ-3 and the CJ-5, so consecutive numbering would make a kind of sense.

Last edited:
I sometimes think that they should have simply continued the CJ tradition and gone with higher-numbered models. I believe they ended with the CJ-10, so a YJ would have been a CJ-11, TJ's would be CJ-12's, CJ-13 for the LJ, an so on. After all, there was a big change in body style between the CJ-3 and the CJ-5, so consecutive numbering would make a kind of sense.
I like your old school thinking brother ! :)

I've always said "True," as in the last True Jeep.

Disclaimer: Of course, that's not the True meaning, and there is none, it's not an acronym (no pun intended).

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and KCsTJ
I've always said "True," as in the last True Jeep.

Disclaimer: Of course, that's not the True meaning, and there is none, it's not an acronym (no pun intended).
Right on @JMT
May not be official but we can use it unofficially.
Thats 2 responses for True Jeep. :)
If someone asks me what it means, I'm say in, "it means True (as in bonafide) Jeep"!
:)

Reactions: JMT
Right on @JMT
May not be official but we can use it unofficially.
Thats 2 responses for True Jeep. :)
If someone asks me what it means, I'm say in, "it means True (as in bonafide) Jeep"!
:)
Amen! That’s right, really it is right. It’s right bc there was a fundamental shift with the JK/U. It was no longer a military design vehicle, in that every potential problem could be fixed by the average soldier.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Amen! That’s right, really it is right. It’s right bc there was a fundamental shift with the JK/U. It was no longer a military design vehicle, in that every potential problem could be fixed by the average soldier.
Cool, some jeep trivia from history! Now I like my jeep even better.

From this day forward TJ stands for True Jeep . Its official :)

I always thought the "Y" in YJ was for "Y in the hell did we go with the rectangle headlights?" :D
I used to use the term "Yuppie Jeep", because the YJ was a kinder, gentler Jeep for that generation. I hated the instrument panel more than I did the headlights. That panel was the perfect place to collect dirt, dust and sunflower seed shells.

I used to use the term "Yuppie Jeep", because the YJ was a kinder, gentler Jeep for that generation. I hated the instrument panel more than I did the headlights. That panel was the perfect place to collect dirt, dust and sunflower seed shells.
LOL That's funny, because I think each new version of the Jeep has slowly become a "kinder, gentler Jeep". I'm sure the parallel leaf boys thought as much of our TJs when they came out in '97. And by the way, I love the YJ dash! LOL I'd put one in my TJ, if I thought I could do so without a huge hassle. Different stokes, eh? ;)