What does the "T" in "TJ" stand for?

"Transition" Jeep
When Chrysler took full reign designing the new Jeep Wrangler, they wanted a simple designation to market a new era in the long respected line of Jeeps. Simply put, the new Wrangler with coil springs etc. was now a Jeep for all, "transitioning" from rough riding "off-road only" or military style vehicle to more of a family orientated SUV. More than just a "GP" (General Purpose) vehicle, Chrysler sought to capture both the old school wrangler community and capture new hesitant consumers wary of a rough riding, unsafe small-scale SUV.

This is all, of course, utter b.s... I have no freaking clue what I'm talking about.

Made me think of Transformer Jeep...now that's a movie I'd watch

"Transition" Jeep
When Chrysler took full reign designing the new Jeep Wrangler, they wanted a simple designation to market a new era in the long respected line of Jeeps. Simply put, the new Wrangler with coil springs etc. was now a Jeep for all, "transitioning" from rough riding "off-road only" or military style vehicle to more of a family orientated SUV. More than just a "GP" (General Purpose) vehicle, Chrysler sought to capture both the old school wrangler community and capture new hesitant consumers wary of a rough riding, unsafe small-scale SUV.

This is all, of course, utter b.s... I have no freaking clue what I'm talking about.
@S.McArthur your post is interesting and believable and I like your honesty regarding the b.s. admission.
I can tell you probably got "A"s on English essay exams. :)
Transition kinda fits but kinda not, I like it but it's got too many syllables im fraid :)

@S.McArthur your post is interesting and believable and I like your honesty regarding the b.s. admission.
I can tell you probably got "A"s on English essay exams. :)
Transition kinda fits but kinda not, I like it but it's got too many syllables im fraid :)
Trans Jeep has other connotations, so it doesn't get my vote :facepalm:

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
Well the answer is a bit more than one might believe...back in the late 80's a lone engineer had the desire to design what he considered to be the best "trailrated" 4x4 that could be produced for the mass market while still offering a platform to make the rig a personal item for the customer. For years he would push his ideas at every chance he had to anyone and everyone that he could hold captive.

Eventually everyone began calling his idea a TJ which is short for Theodore's Jeep. It is also a little known fact that his full name was Theodore Ruby. And thus a legend was born.

Fact is often time stranger than fiction, I mean some things you just can't make up....

Ha! Well, assuming that's true, I now want to hear the story behind CJ, YJ, LJ, JK, JL, etc.

Here is what I have always figured happened, while there are facts in here, a lot is my assumptions....so take it as you will

Cj- Civilian Jeep (duh) 1941-1986 2a-10

Xj- 1983-2001
The X was Engineering code and project code, as this was the first of its kind, a cross over (ie X) between a station wagon and a true 4wheel drive. A kind of utility vehicle for sporting people who liked to do things outdoors.... like a sports utility vehicle (SUV).
Side fun fact: The concept for the Xj was actually supposed to be an eagle wagon thing, but when Renault took controlling interest of AMC in 79, they moved the project over to jeep, as the fsj's didn't sell in Europe because they were literally wider then most medieval streets.

now who remembers there alphabet what comes after X....

Yj- 1986-1995
Zj-1993-1998
And Sh*t We ran outta letters, Lets go back to J and start again

Wait! you the one whos about to yell about the Mj (1986-1992), yes the mj came out in 86, before the Zj, but the Zj had been in development since 83 with the xj and yj, therefore their engineering codes came first, so...be quiet.

at this point jeep said whoops, lets not let that happen again, went back a few letters and ear marked K,L, and M for new Cherokee models, like the Comanche(Mj). They ear marked T,U, and V for future Wranglers. N,O,P And Q,R,S were assumedly kept open for new models, or projects we never saw

and here we are

Tj-1996-2006 (yes 96, I will fight you on this!)

This is where things get weird

Wj-1999-2004
my best bet on what happened here has to do with the Daimler-Chrysler merger in 1998, specifically (1998-2007)
or as I like to call it, the dark times. the Zj was supposed to be the successor to the Xj and eventually replace it all togeather like the Grand Wagoneer replaced the Wagoneer and Cherokee chief before it, but no one expected that thing to sell well effectively unchanged for GD 14 MODEL YEARS! Thus we get the Wj, because the Cherokee will need those letters we ear marked for.......sh*t

Kj- 2002-2007 yup... this was a good idea, Xj people will be so happy we got rid of that dumb solid axle and legendary motor, and replaced it with this. They liked it so much that the Kj carries the Cherokee name everywhere BUT north America, thanks Daimler

And where back to where we started, outta numbers, outta letters(ish?), What should we do now? I know we will go back to where we were before, and go to the next letter after j....k. why do we even need that stupid j anyways! thanks Daimler

Wk- 2005-2010
Xk- 2006 -2010

so help me god, If even one of you brings up the mk74 on the gs platform and say I forgot a "Jeep".... I will meet you out in the parking lot.... try me

Jk- 2007-2018
Hey look a new pattern, Somebody done figured out that J might mean something!

not gunna bother with kk,wk2,Kl,or Bu, I don't feel I need to explain why....

Jl-2018 to present
Jt- 2019 to present

it would appear that only wrangler derivates will carry the J moniker any more, but incase it not blatantly obvious by now, who the F know what jeeps going to do next. however, I do feel with the Jl and the Jt, Jeep may be making its way out of the dark times.

Nope, that garbage gets to live for free in my head all the time, and has for over 2 decades; but how to spell simple words, or how many days are in march 30 or 31, my brains like "not a chance, we don't got room for that"

Reactions: Succentor
Here is what I have always figured happened, while there are facts in here, a lot is my assumptions....so take it as you will

Cj- Civilian Jeep (duh) 1941-1986 2a-10

Xj- 1983-2001
The X was Engineering code and project code, as this was the first of its kind, a cross over (ie X) between a station wagon and a true 4wheel drive. A kind of utility vehicle for sporting people who liked to do things outdoors.... like a sports utility vehicle (SUV).
Side fun fact: The concept for the Xj was actually supposed to be an eagle wagon thing, but when Renault took controlling interest of AMC in 79, they moved the project over to jeep, as the fsj's didn't sell in Europe because they were literally wider then most medieval streets.

now who remembers there alphabet what comes after X....

Yj- 1986-1995
Zj-1993-1998
And Sh*t We ran outta letters, Lets go back to J and start again

Wait! you the one whos about to yell about the Mj (1986-1992), yes the mj came out in 86, before the Zj, but the Zj had been in development since 83 with the xj and yj, therefore their engineering codes came first, so...be quiet.

at this point jeep said whoops, lets not let that happen again, went back a few letters and ear marked K,L, and M for new Cherokee models, like the Comanche(Mj). They ear marked T,U, and V for future Wranglers. N,O,P And Q,R,S were assumedly kept open for new models, or projects we never saw

and here we are

Tj-1996-2006 (yes 96, I will fight you on this!)

This is where things get weird

Wj-1999-2004
my best bet on what happened here has to do with the Daimler-Chrysler merger in 1998, specifically (1998-2007)
or as I like to call it, the dark times. the Zj was supposed to be the successor to the Xj and eventually replace it all togeather like the Grand Wagoneer replaced the Wagoneer and Cherokee chief before it, but no one expected that thing to sell well effectively unchanged for GD 14 MODEL YEARS! Thus we get the Wj, because the Cherokee will need those letters we ear marked for.......sh*t

Kj- 2002-2007 yup... this was a good idea, Xj people will be so happy we got rid of that dumb solid axle and legendary motor, and replaced it with this. They liked it so much that the Kj carries the Cherokee name everywhere BUT north America, thanks Daimler

And where back to where we started, outta numbers, outta letters(ish?), What should we do now? I know we will go back to where we were before, and go to the next letter after j....k. why do we even need that stupid j anyways! thanks Daimler

Wk- 2005-2010
Xk- 2006 -2010

so help me god, If even one of you brings up the mk74 on the gs platform and say I forgot a "Jeep".... I will meet you out in the parking lot.... try me

Jk- 2007-2018
Hey look a new pattern, Somebody done figured out that J might mean something!

not gunna bother with kk,wk2,Kl,or Bu, I don't feel I need to explain why....

Jl-2018 to present
Jt- 2019 to present

it would appear that only wrangler derivates will carry the J moniker any more, but incase it not blatantly obvious by now, who the F know what jeeps going to do next. however, I do feel with the Jl and the Jt, Jeep may be making its way out of the dark times.
I think someone was looking deep into their bowl of Alphabet Soup and decided "Hell...that'll work". ;)