What driveshaft do i “need”?

Weasellee

Jeep idiot
Supporting Member
Gonna attach a photo of my current stock shaft with 4” Currie lift springs on my ‘04 LJ

Do you think i need to go with SYE and CV shaft or it seems to me just a proper length stock “style” non cv shaft will be fine due to the not so heavy of my pinion angle

i know Tom woods will sell me something stock style but proper length amd duty

opinions??

D9207DAD-BA1C-4377-8541-9900D15B9399.jpeg

Depending on how you use the rig, getting a nice new shaft from TW and carrying your stock shaft as a spare is not uncommon. I just had to use my spare shaft on a weekend wheeling trip because I pinched a U joint. Might be stuff you already know but figured I’d tell ya.

Reactions: Weasellee
What adjustments could my axle need in the future?
Well not know what you are running you could get a bigger lift or bigger tires and in that case there may be adjustments to your rear pinion angle if you have any vibrations. This combined with a CV shaft would make it much easier. Also Adjustable control arms is a must. This list just continues. I drove stock shaft and 33 with a 4" lift for 2 years without out an issue. Went wheeling with it and the last time I did boom vibrations. Could not adjust it enough to get rid of it. Once I upgraded to the SYE and Tom woods Driveshaft the adjustments were MUCH easier to make and the vibration was gone. Not that everyone deals with issues like this but it's just a good upgrade.

Well not know what you are running you could get a bigger lift or bigger tires and in that case there may be adjustments to your rear pinion angle if you have any vibrations. This combined with a CV shaft would make it much easier. Also Adjustable control arms is a must. This list just continues. I drove stock shaft and 33 with a 4" lift for 2 years without out an issue. Went wheeling with it and the last time I did boom vibrations. Could not adjust it enough to get rid of it. Once I upgraded to the SYE and Tom woods Driveshaft the adjustments were MUCH easier to make and the vibration was gone. Not that everyone deals with issues like this but it's just a good upgrade.
So my lift is set at 4” not changing
My tire size shouldn’t effect the pinion angle i don’t believe and my 8 double adjustable savvy control arms are rock n roll set and ready. I don’t foresee a driveline angle change but I’m gonna keep it in mind.

So my lift is set at 4” not changing
My tire size shouldn’t effect the pinion angle i don’t believe and my 8 double adjustable savvy control arms are rock n roll set and ready. I don’t foresee a driveline angle change but I’m gonna keep it in mind.
Tires were just added as part of upgrades. ;-)
I didn't think I needed it till I did. So I kept my stock stuff until then. Worked for a while, may do the same for you. Jeeps are expensive investment as is. If you have the cash, it's worth it. If not, Don't fix it till it's broke. LOL

I look at the DC as something your are forced into and not an upgrade. The stock shaft is easier to service, one less joint and no centering ball. It doesn't matter if you are just ordering one from a shop but if you carry spare joints and have to fix one on the trail the stock setup is probably easier to deal with.

I just installed a TerraFlex SYE and a new Adams driveshaft. Measuring for it was easy and I have less vibration now and dont need the trans drop pucks

Cost and ease of maintenance are key. I would prefer to stay stock style. The current shaft seems short due to lift. The real question is with such a slight angle does anyone here think the sye amd CV shaft are even necessary? I’ve wheeled this rig as it sits on “black” trails amd no issues.
Again. Thanks for all the excellent opinions 🤙🏼

Reactions: pagrey
Cost and ease of maintenance are key. I would prefer to stay stock style. The current shaft seems short due to lift. The real question is with such a slight angle does anyone here think the sye amd CV shaft are even necessary? I’ve wheeled this rig as it sits on “black” trails amd no issues.
Again. Thanks for all the excellent opinions 🤙🏼
Advice I’ve heard and read suggests with the Unlimited you do not need a SYE. But correct length of shaft is important. As for ease of maintenance, I find swapping a shaft with a spare shaft on the trail easier than dealing with U joints and their delicate needle bearings and bearing surfaces on the trail. But I still carry spare u joints as well because they are small and relatively cheap.