What else do I NEED to go to 35's?

JMT

Just another auto…
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've been kicking this stone down the road for awhile. Several of you know my build pretty well. It's all under my profile if you want to look. I think I know what I need and what I want to make the jump, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

NEED
Rear Chromoly Dana 44 Shafts
4" Coils (sitting in garage now)
Proper Shocks

WANT
Kishpaugh's Rear Geometry Correction Brackets (maybe time to learn to weld)

I've been kicking this stone down the road for awhile. Several of you know my build pretty well. It's all under my profile if you want to look. I think I know what I need and what I want to make the jump, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

NEED
Proper Shocks

WANT
By proper do you mean nice shocks, or just longer one's?

Reactions: WHBNM
By proper do you mean nice shocks, or just longer one's?
correct length, but nice are nice.

I almost got Chris’s Savvy Tuned shock, but I must have missed them by seconds bc I replied in 2 minutes

Last edited:
You'll need to trim your spring perches (or use extension brackets, but that gives up a little travel - so I would favor the trimming). Possible bumpstop changes, and you may also need to have your driveshaft lengthened, depending on where you place your tires when you adjust the pinion. Otherwise, I think you are close to set - though you will definitely want to regear again (I have 5.13 on the same transmission and love em).

Reactions: JMT and L J

NEED
Proper Shocks

WANT
I haven't looked, don't remember, and too lazy to look now... But don't forget brakes. Pretty sure you're running BMB pads, right?

The rear, especially locked, will be a weak spot on 35s and any moderate+ trails. 33s you'd likely be fine.
Guess I'm just lucky then with my stock 44 on 35's and no breaking... I've never heard you 'needed' to upgrade the rear 44 for 35's.

Guess I'm just lucky then with my stock 44 on 35's and no breaking... I've never heard you 'needed' to upgrade the rear 44 for 35's.
Only if you're locked. I'd carry back up shafts just in case. I have a set already and I'm on 33's. Just carry the shorter one, it will work for a trail fix on either side.

Reactions: Alex01
I haven't looked, don't remember, and too lazy to look now... But don't forget brakes. Pretty sure you're running BMB pads, right?
I"m running BMB pads Mike.

Reactions: Alex01
You'll need to trim your spring perches (or use extension brackets, but that gives up a little travel - so I would favor the trimming). Possible bumpstop changes, and you may also need to have your driveshaft lengthened, depending on where you place your tires when you adjust the pinion. Otherwise, I think you are close to set - though you will definitely want to regear again (I have 5.13 on the same transmission and love em).
I have already trimmed my perches. Bumpstops, yes, I'll have to re-visit. I keep wondering about the driveshaft. I'm at 3 or 3.25" of lift in the rear now (can't remember exactly), and I'll be running Currie 4", so I may have to replace the shaft. I hope not, but possible. My shaft is 19" now with a JB SS SYE. It will be interesting to see. Thanks, good thoughts. The re-gear, yeah, I hate having to do that, but was thinking 4.88. I should have done that to begin with. I wouldn't mind 5.13's at all, and more justifiable than moving from 4.56 to 4.88. I'll probably run it for awhile till I can get out to @Wildman and get them set up.

EDIT: I'll actually be on 33's for awhile with the 4"+1.25", like jjvw was for some time. I just bought new tires in January. 🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
I have already trimmed my perches. Bumpstops, yes, I'll have to re-visit. I keep wondering about the driveshaft. I'm at 3 or 3.25" of lift in the rear now (can't remember exactly), and I'll be running Currie 4", so I may have to replace the shaft. I hope not, but possible. My shaft is 19" now with a JB SS SYE. It will be interesting to see. Thanks, good thoughts. The re-gear, yeah, I hate having to do that, but was thinking 4.88. I should have done that to begin with. I wouldn't mind 5.13's at all, and more justifiable than moving from 4.56 to 4.88. I'll probably run it for awhile till I can get out to @Wildman and get them set up.

EDIT: I'll actually be on 33's for awhile with the 4"+1.25", like jjvw was for some time. I just bought new tires in January. 🙄
but you have two other jeeps that could use all your hand-me-downs :ROFLMAO:

oh geez. I did think about building the Rubi for 37's, but that would send me into the rabbit-hole of @NashvilleTJ and @toximus. 114-115" stretch...yikes, that's one deep rabbit hole

I reflected a lot after Moab and other recent trips - I am pretty happy where I am at (a deeper reflection will be on my thread once I feel like everything is digested). I can pretty much do whatever I want - bigger only makes it easier, not necessarily more fun. A friend recently said this, which I appreciate: "I give up on try before the rig gives up on do".

Reactions: JMT
I reflected a lot after Moab and other recent trips - I am pretty happy where I am at (a deeper reflection will be on my thread once I feel like everything is digested). I can pretty much do whatever I want - bigger only makes it easier, not necessarily more fun. A friend recently said this, which I appreciate: "I give up on try before the rig gives up on do".
Then you aren't going to hard enough places. ;)

Then you aren't going to hard enough places. ;)
Unfortunately we did miss Pritchett Canyon to test what I really wanted to test! However I think I am able to do all the trails in CO and UT I want to - 37s won't really change that beyond maybe carnage canyon.

I wouldn't mind checking out JV some day, but I doubt @mrblaine would put up with my shenanigans.

Unfortunately we did miss Pritchett Canyon to test what I really wanted to test! However I think I am able to do all the trails in CO and UT I want to - 37s won't really change that beyond maybe carnage canyon.

I wouldn't mind checking out JV some day, but I doubt @mrblaine would put up with my shenanigans.
I have multiple trails like that too. Honestly some where more fun on even 33s.

Reactions: rasband
I have multiple trails like that too. Honestly some where more fun on even 33s.
But the V8 sound has to overcome any of that! I am leaning toward the R2.8 just for fun, but when the time comes I may just follow your thread since you are/have figured out most of the drive train!

no point to build beyond what you like to drive really, and if your able to run all you wanna run then your golden.

my last time out was on 31's with open diffs and i had to back out of several things i wanted to attempt. i can't wait to get back there on 35's w/ lockers and try again.

if i had a rig that could handle Carnage i'd call it done.