What else do I NEED to go to 35's?

But the V8 sound has to overcome any of that! I am leaning toward the R2.8 just for fun, but when the time comes I may just follow your thread since you are/have figured out most of the drive train!
For now I'm relegated to making vroom vroom noises in the garage (which do sound more manly with the V8 under the hood). I just picked back up on the project yesterday after having to set it down for the last few months.

For now I'm relegated to making vroom vroom noises in the garage (which do sound more manly with the V8 under the hood). I just picked back up on the project yesterday after having to set it down for the last few months.
It seemed quiet! Whenever it picks up, it'll be great to read as always.

Reactions: toximus
You will need to be open to addressing the 35’s rubbing the back (towards the firewall) of the front fender under full bump and hard steering input.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I reflected a lot after Moab and other recent trips - I am pretty happy where I am at (a deeper reflection will be on my thread once I feel like everything is digested). I can pretty much do whatever I want - bigger only makes it easier, not necessarily more fun. A friend recently said this, which I appreciate: "I give up on try before the rig gives up on do".
I agree, and this is one reason I’ve stayed on 33’s so long. When I lived in TX I could justify 37’s, but I had a lot of fun on 33’s. Where I live in WA, there are only 4 local trails and one ORV. Most of the rigs are built on 37’s and a very few on 35’s. I pretty much go everywhere those on 37’s go. There is only one obstacle I couldn’t complete in Mullan, ID, a part of the waterfall at a run called Compressor. I almost completed it, but called for line so I didn’t risk wrecking my rig. I did crush the passenger stock fender on that obstacle. I’m still not sure I want to go to 35’s, but the Jeep is telling me that if I just went to 35’s and did a few more alterations I wouldn’t hit my CA brackets and the rear bumper so much.

Plus, it’s really hard to get the right length shocks for a 2.5-3” SL. It’s one reason I’m at 3.5”. I actually think 3.5” is a very good lift size. Maybe MC got 1 thing sorta right, but their stupid coils negate most of that 1 thing.

You will need to be open to addressing the 35’s running the back (towards the firewall) of the front fender under full bump and hard steering input.
I remember some threads on this, what will I need to do? Move my axle forward. What else? What do most people do Because I know at full lock the tire is going to be right on the fender. I’ll also be rubbing the upper perches more, and the stupid AntiRock that doesn’t work now because only the ORO Swayloc is valid. 🤣

I remember some threads on this, what will I need to do? Move my axle forward. What else? What do most people do Because I know at full lock the tire is going to be right on the fender. I’ll also be rubbing the upper perches more, and the stupid AntiRock that doesn’t work now because only the ORO Swayloc is valid. 🤣
I believe @jjvw has some info in his build thread IIRC.

The re-gear, yeah, I hate having to do that, but was thinking 4.88. I should have done that to begin with. I wouldn't mind 5.13's at all, and more justifiable than moving from 4.56 to 4.88.
I'd go 5.13 if I was you. With my front 44 I'd do 5.38 if I was to do it again.

That said if you like driving 75-80 4.88 are nice.

Reactions: JMT and L J
I'd go 5.13 if I was you. With my front 44 I'd do 5.38 if I was to do it again.

That said if you like driving 75-80 4.88 are nice.
I only like driving 80+ when I’m in Montana returning from Moab. 🤣 In fact, I hit 91. I’ll punch the numbers into Grimm Jeeper and see where I end up with 4.88 and 5.13, but I have some time for that.

Reactions: Alex01
I believe @jjvw has some info in his build thread IIRC.
From what I gather, what I did to make my tires fit with 5-6" of up on a 12" is quite unusual. My front stretch should not be something someone does for the fun of it because nothing about it was fun.
Yes, I recall this thread, and yes, I wouldn’t want to do that. I’m only going to run a 10-11“ shock.

When I move from 33s to 35’s on 3.5” lift I just swap the tires. Then i end up adding a bit of bump stop and changing the front fenders to open space on the firewall. Keep in mind that I end up doing hi line fender because I was planning going to 40’s. I have been wheeling like that for 3 years.
You have a pretty nice build with lots of think ahead on it so I highly doubt you will encounter major stoppages.
Don’t overthink it...

Chromoly shaft are peace on mind and may be avoid you carry a spare one.
4” coils are nice but still 1/2” over the ones you currently has.
If need Proper shocks, you may want to add the Swaylock to the equation to be on the trending zone too 😳😂.

Reactions: JMT