What else will I need for a 2.5" lift?

Natedog444

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2.5" Quadratec lift with the fox shocks and am planning to install it soon. I am aware that I will probably need an SYE and a CV rear driveshaft, but I am unsure of anything else I may need such as extended brake lines or new control arms. I currently have a 2" spacer lift and 1/2" body lift installed by the previous owner, however, the suspension is very worn (coils being stock I think and the shocks being about 10 years old) and I am probably only getting about 1 1/2" of lift right now. I have not experienced any driveline vibrations from the current lift, but I think after I install the new kit very possible I may.

So I guess my question is: With a 2.5" suspension lift coupled with a 1/2" body lift, will I need anything beyond an SYE and rear CV driveshaft?

You can’t have a SYE and CV driveshaft without adjustable control arms.

You may not need the driveshaft, I didn't. Drive it and find out.

What don't know what else you might need unless we know what came in the kit, Sooooo?

You don't NEED a SYE. We install 2.5's a lot and never had a DS pull out yet.

You need...
Shocks of new height.
Extremely important if you actually use your Jeep is swaybar links of new height that disconnect!!!!
New Springs.

Done

The above said...
Your track bar needs to be in good shape. If you haven't changed your u-joints recently now is a good time.

Install...
Drive to trail...disconnect sway bar...
Wheel....
Reconnect sway bar...
Drive home.

Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Jacket4256
You may not need the driveshaft, I didn't. Drive it and find out.

What don't know what else you might need unless we know what came in the kit, Sooooo?
The kit comes with 4 coils (2 front 2 rear) as well as front and rear FOX IPF Mono-Tube Shocks. Its also got bump stop extensions, front and rear brake line brackets, and a Rear Track Bar Re-alignment Bracket.

Heres a link to the kit: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...kit-fox-ifp-mono-tube-shocks-jeep-wrangler-tj

Reactions: John Cooper
The kit comes with 4 coils (2 front 2 rear) as well as front and rear FOX IPF Mono-Tube Shocks. Its also got bump stop extensions, front and rear brake line brackets, and a Rear Track Bar Re-alignment Bracket.

Heres a link to the kit: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...kit-fox-ifp-mono-tube-shocks-jeep-wrangler-tj
You might want to get an adjustable front track back to recenter the axle to match the rear. Without that, the instructions will probably tell you to drill a new hole to move the existing one which is sort of a hack.
You will probably also need to drop your transfer case to deal with vibes or raise your motor mounts which is not always effective by itself. I would start with the transfer case unless you are doing a matching body lift anyway.

from another newbie, once I did my lift I needed front track bar and front lower adjustable control arms.
Why did you need arms? At 2.5 inches of lift, caster is not going to change that much. That is definitely not a necessity in my opinion. I would prioritize an SYE and upper rear adjustables before the fronts.

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2.5" Quadratec lift with the fox shocks and am planning to install it soon. I am aware that I will probably need an SYE and a CV rear driveshaft, but I am unsure of anything else I may need such as extended brake lines or new control arms. I currently have a 2" spacer lift and 1/2" body lift installed by the previous owner, however, the suspension is very worn (coils being stock I think and the shocks being about 10 years old) and I am probably only getting about 1 1/2" of lift right now. I have not experienced any driveline vibrations from the current lift, but I think after I install the new kit very possible I may.

So I guess my question is: With a 2.5" suspension lift coupled with a 1/2" body lift, will I need anything beyond an SYE and rear CV driveshaft?
1) Install the front bumpstops on the lower perch. The rear can go above the cup.
2) you may want an adjustable front trackbar to re-center your front axle
3) your driveline may be fine, so don’t jump to an SYE and DC so fast. You’d also need rear adjustable CA’s if you do
4) if you do get vibes a 1” mml should fix it.
5) front sway bar disconnects
6) longer rear sway bar links

HOLY CRAP! That's expensive for what you get. I'd just get Pro Comp or BDS springs with Rancho rs5000x shocks for half the price.
I think your right, after looking around a bit more BDS Springs and the ranchos are probably the way to go. Way cheaper bc no fox shocks. Here's what I've found so far, look like what you're talking about?

Front coils: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/034204-bds-suspension-2in-front-coil-kit
Rear Coils: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/coil-springs/034206-bds-suspension-2in-rear-coil-kit
Rancho rs5000x: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01963N4ZY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Also will the rancho rs5000x perform as well as the FOX? The FOX shocks were the main reason why I spent the extra money on that lift

1) Install the front bumpstops on the lower perch. The rear can go above the cup.
2) you may want an adjustable front trackbar to re-center your front axle
3) your driveline may be fine, so don’t jump to an SYE and DC so fast. You’d also need rear adjustable CA’s if you do
4) if you do get vibes a 1” mml should fix it.
5) front sway bar disconnects
6) longer rear sway bar links
^^ this. My only comment would be, on my 2.5" lift I didn't need to drill holes for the front track bar which I would replace before drilling holes anyway, nor did I need to replace it. The axle offset was so minor that you can't notice it unless you break out a tape measure.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Also will the rancho rs5000x perform as well as the FOX? The FOX shocks were the main reason why I spent the extra money on that lift
Most people on here the last 2-3 years love the Rancho 5000X. It’s valved well for a TJ, so you get a good ride without spending a lot of money.

Fox makes great stuff, I use them on my MTB, but if they’re not tuned for a TJ, they won’t ride well and you’re paying money for the name.

I think your right, after looking around a bit more BDS Springs and the ranchos are probably the way to go. Way cheaper bc no fox shocks. Here's what I've found so far, look like what you're talking about?

Front coils: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/034204-bds-suspension-2in-front-coil-kit
Rear Coils: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/coil-springs/034206-bds-suspension-2in-rear-coil-kit
Rancho rs5000x: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01963N4ZY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Most here recommend Rancho shocks and I am sure they perform great. Let's just say they provide the best ride.

I am running Fox shocks all around and think they perform comparable to stock with maybe a little added stiffness if I was forced to say but really not noticeable. So I have no complaints about the performance in general. What I really like about them however are the aluminum bodies. Some owners paint their Ranchos out of the box to improve the durability and many I've seen look like crap after a few years. I also prefer what I consider "right" side up mounting of the Fox. Purely aesthetic reasons here but they fit within my budget so that is what I went with.

When you add up the cost of separate coils, shocks, add in the rear bracket and bump stop extensions... you are getting pretty close to the price of that package.

When you add up the cost of separate coils, shocks, add in the rear bracket and bump stop extensions... you are getting pretty close to the price of that package.

I don't know. My ProComp springs, Rancho shocks, bump stops and rear bracket cost around $500.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoogieman
FOX shocks are WAY overrated UNLESS you have them specifically tuned for your Jeep by someone qualified. I raced Motocross for years at a high level and had Fox shocks. Don't believe the hype. Off the assembly line, they're no better than other shocks like Rancho, except the price tag for the name.
p.s. Advil brand is $6 a bottle. The same Ibuprofen is $1 at your local $ store. Same shit, different label. If I buy a Savvy bumper and put a RC decal on it, resale value will drop to $50.

Reactions: CodaMan