What else will I need for a 2.5" lift?

FOX shocks are WAY overrated UNLESS you have them specifically tuned for your Jeep by someone qualified. I raced Motocross for years at a high level and had Fox shocks. Don't believe the hype. Off the assembly line, they're no better than other shocks like Rancho, except the price tag for the name.
p.s. Advil brand is $6 a bottle. The same Ibuprofen is $1 at your local $ store. Same shit, different label. If I buy a Savvy bumper and put a RC decal on it, resale value will drop to $50.
According to Quadratec, the fox shocks "perfectly tuned and valved" to the suspension kit. Would you say this qualifies as tuned to my jeep? Unfortunately, I have already purchased the kit and there may be a return fee for shipping. However, if the Ranchos are better than the fox I think it might be worth the return fee.

Reactions: Vasq
According to Quadratec, the fox shocks "perfectly tuned and valved" to the suspension kit. Would you say this qualifies as tuned to my jeep? Unfortunately, I have already purchased the kit and there may be a return fee for shipping. However, if the Ranchos are better than the fox I think it might be worth the return fee.
No. The shocks in that kit are tuned to those springs so performance can vary depending on the actual weight of your Jeep, what you intend to use it for, and what your preferences are. I am guessing that "maximum duty" springs and Fox "tuning" is going to provide a rougher ride than what you have now. It will definitely ride stiffer than stock.

Last edited:
I just installed my 2" lift this weekend and came in at $884.77.

This included:
4 Rancho 5000x shocks
4 BDS 2" lift springs
RC Front adjustable track bar
Rear track bar bracket
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Rusty's 1" MML, rubber (removed the little vibes I had)
3/4" front spacers (removed the rake)

FOX shocks are WAY overrated UNLESS you have them specifically tuned for your Jeep by someone qualified. I raced Motocross for years at a high level and had Fox shocks. Don't believe the hype. Off the assembly line, they're no better than other shocks like Rancho, except the price tag for the name.
p.s. Advil brand is $6 a bottle. The same Ibuprofen is $1 at your local $ store. Same shit, different label. If I buy a Savvy bumper and put a RC decal on it, resale value will drop to $50.
We usually agree on things but not this.

Fox shocks might be shit to you but as with any shock it's in the eye of the beholder...or as I've said before the ass of the beholder.

Some like a cushy ride. Some might think it's a mushy ride and prefer a much firmer ride.

Nobody is wrong.

Facts are..
Fox...
Bilstein 5100...
Rancho 7000...

(And some others of inferior build quality)

All above are stiffer than

Rancho 5000x
(light nitro charge)
Skyjacker Blackmax

As two examples that we install the most...

The above can't be disputed.

Which one feels better to said driver is all that matters.

Fox has a healthy price tag alright but to most saying that "paying for a name" stuff aren't looking at the build quality.
Tuning aside you do actually get something for your money from Fox.
It might not be worth it to you but to someone else it might mean everything.

The increased stiffness might feel bone jarring to some but absolutely perfect to others.

Nobody is wrong in that regard as it's their ass that is living with that ride...loving it or not.

Can some shocks do exactly what an untuned Fox shock can do? Perception is everything and if the buyer thinks xyz shock can do what a more expensive one can...it's their money and that's all that matters.

A side note...
Funny thing about suspension, shocks, times...

Many people now will literally fall on the sword for "their" brand of tire, shock/suspension.
They get no commission for it but by God they want a self pat on the back feel good moment about their purchase and will literally drive their opinion down someone's throat.

It's just funny to me some try so hard to sell somebody on something they get no commission for.

Reactions: primetime4
I just installed my 2" lift this weekend and came in at $884.77.

This included:
4 Rancho 5000x shocks
4 BDS 2" lift springs
RC Front adjustable track bar
Rear track bar bracket
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Rusty's 1" MML, rubber (removed the little vibes I had)
3/4" front spacers (removed the rake)
Do you think you could attach links for exactly what you bought? This helps so much!

Do you think you could attach links for exactly what you bought? This helps so much!
4 Rancho 5000x shocks LINK (set of 4 $203.96) (I got the 0-2" RS55128/RS55240 but am considering trading them out for the 2.5" RS55239/RS55241).
4 BDS 2" lift springs rear 034206 front 034204 LINK
RC Front adjustable track bar LINK
Rear track bar bracket LINK
JKS Quicker Disconnects LINK
Rusty's 1" MML, rubber (removed the little vibes I had) LINK
3/4" front spacers (removed the rake) LINK

Hopefully these links work.

I see you have the 2.5l. Due to the less weight up front you may not need the 3/4 spacer to level it. Also, the MML I linked is for the 4.0l so I'm not sure if its the same mount for the 2.5l.

4 Rancho 5000x shocks LINK (set of 4 $203.96) (I got the 0-2" RS55128/RS55240 but am considering trading them out for the 2.5" RS55239/RS55241).

I see you have the 2.5l. Due to the less weight up front you may not need the 3/4 spacer to level it. Also, the MML I linked is for the 4.0l so I'm not sure if its the same mount for the 2.5l.
You're awesome man thank you! And yeah I'm gonna get a slightly different MML that works better for the 2.5L, and I'm also gonna do a bit more research on the spacers to see if I need them. But thanks again so much!

If you swap those shocks for the longer ones my guess is your up travel will be reduced to about 2". Ask me how I know 😏

If you swap those shocks for the longer ones my guess is your up travel will be reduced to about 2". Ask me how I know 😏
I was meaning to ask you what your "exposed rod" measurement was on your shocks while resting. right now my front has about 6" of chrome, which leaves about 2" of down travel. The rear has about 2" of down travel left also. I'm worried about over extending them.

I was meaning to ask you what your "exposed rod" measurement was on your shocks while resting. right now my front has about 6" of chrome, which leaves about 2" of down travel. The rear has about 2" of down travel left also. I'm worried about over extending them.
The 0-2” shocks work great with 2” springs

I'm at 4.5" or something. Seems like your shocks are too short. Optimal would be 50/50.

Everyone needs to remember that Rancho has a 90 days no questions asked return policy, so if your shocks are too long or too short just call them and get a refund then buy the other set.

Thanks for the quick response. I have about 30 days left on my "free trial" so I should be good for the exchange. After you installed your springs, did they settle in after a while and sit a bit lower?

Thanks for the quick response. I have about 30 days left on my "free trial" so I should be good for the exchange. After you installed your springs, did they settle in after a while and sit a bit lower?
They didn't settle much. How much lift do you have and what part number shocks did you install?