What gear oil should I use in my diff?

Tahdig_siah

TJ Enthusiast
Going to do a differential axel change. Manual says Gear Oil 80W90 for front but the rear diff has different types. I have a 2000 wrangler TJ manual 2.5L no AC. It’s an SE believe. What should I put in it. Also the capacity is 5 quarts , correct?

1685404173207.png

One more question, when should I open the diff cover, clean and RTV seal it back up VS. just do a fluid change?
the Jeep is 23 years old and has 112K.

One more question, when should I open the diff cover, clean and RTV seal it back up VS. just do a fluid change?
the Jeep is 23 years old and has 112K.

I always pull the cover when doing a fluid change. It gives you an opportunity to inspect the differential. Fluid changes (barring suspected water intrusion) aren't done frequently enough to make it time or cost prohibitive.

Thanks. Is there a vent valve on top of the differentials? I had a tacoma with vent valve that had to be checked to make sure its loose so its venting.

Is there a vent valve on top of the differentials? I had a tacoma with vent valve that had to be checked to make sure its loose so its venting.

There are vent hoses connected to the axles with vent caps at the other end. The front cap is usually located along the driver side of the radiator and the rear cap is usually tied to the fuel filler neck. The caps should look similar to this:
20230530_001241.jpg

Thank you guys. Thinking about getting Lucas Gear and Axle 80w90 for both front and rear.
Waste of $$$ for Lucas, it's nothing special. Personally I'd run nothing but a conventional gear lube in my axles, it's proven to help the gears run cooler than they would with a synthetic gear lube. Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Torco, NAPA, etc. are all fine choices.

And the exact viscosity is absolutely not critical. A 75W-90 or 80W-90 is fine for most uses. I'd only go to a higher viscosity like 85W-120 etc. if I was doing a lot of trailer towing or wheeling on extreme trails.

Waste of $$$ for Lucas, it's nothing special. Personally I'd run nothing but a conventional gear lube in my axles, it's proven to help the gears run cooler than they would with a synthetic gear lube. Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Torco, NAPA, etc. are all fine choices.

And the exact viscosity is absolutely not critical. A 75W-90 or 80W-90 is fine for most uses. I'd only go to a higher viscosity like 85W-120 etc. if I was doing a lot of trailer towing or wheeling on extreme trails.

Great advice. Thank you

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks. Is there a vent valve on top of the differentials? I had a tacoma with vent valve that had to be checked to make sure its loose so its venting.

Yes, all TJ diffs have this.
On rear 44/35 it is on top of the Brake 3 way split on the tube (on the driver side, the breather goes to the gas fill neck area)
On front it is on top of the diff itself.

Reactions: Tahdig_siah
Probably the dumbest question ever, and I ought to know the answer…I went and picked up a couple quarts of Royal Purple 75W-140 for my Dana44 w/LSD.
Or so I thought. One of the quarts was 75W-90. Makes no difference? I don’t do any serious towing.
Thanks in advance.
Rich

Probably the dumbest question ever, and I ought to know the answer…I went and picked up a couple quarts of Royal Purple 75W-140 for my Dana44 w/LSD.
Or so I thought. One of the quarts was 75W-90. Makes no difference? I don’t do any serious towing.
Thanks in advance.
Rich
Your axle won't care in the least. Keep in mind your gears will run hotter when lubed with a synthetic. Really.

I'm still not buying that one. They are claiming that synthetic, which in most cases is now just hydrocracked conventional, is somehow less conductive to heat than straight conventional. And the synthetic creates marginally less heat to start with.

I'm still not buying that one. They are claiming that synthetic, which in most cases is now just hydrocracked conventional, is somehow less conductive to heat than straight conventional. And the synthetic creates marginally less heat to start with.
If you don't believe ask respected manufacturers like Dynatrac, Currie, Yukon, Revolution Gear, etc. why they either require or recommend conventional gear lubes.