What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

Ok so the rubis come with 30.5 inch diameter tires with 4.10 diffs stock ... 2.5 inch increase in tire diameter requires 5.13 gears .... this is the only time I have ever seen this .. everybody else says 4.56 or maybe 4.88 if going to 35s... I'm confused ... its a little pokey on the highway with 265/75/16 on 4.10s but that's a huge jump to 5.13 for 33s... please explain or show some rpm numbers at cruising speed compared to stock for each different gear size ...
You have to understand that there can be several correct ratios for the same size tire depending on the engine size, transmission type, and how it's going to be driven. And a guy with a big block Chevy powered vehicle is going to require different ratio than a guy with a 4.0 engine will. So just because some guy says x.xx ratio is ideal for 33's or 35's doesn't mean jack because you have no idea what vehicle/engine/transmission type he's thinking of.

Yes 4.56 would be ideal for 33's and so would 4.88 for 35's with the 4.0 engine and 5-speed manual transmission. But not for your 42RLE transmission that has an extra-steep Overdrive ratio that drops the highway cruising rpms way down, well below what the 5-speed manual transmission does. The 42RLE's Overdrive ratio is .69 which means its cruising rpms drop by 31% when the Overdrive kicks in. The AX-15 5-speed has a .79 Overdrive ratio so it doesn't drop the engine nearly as much. Not to mention it takes a bit more power to run an automatic than it does a manual transmission.

For 33's, you really do want nothing else than 4.88 but 5.13 would be better with your 42RLE automatic. Both of those ratios produce ideal engine rpms on the highway, they will NOT be too high. In fact they'll be right on where you want them and you'll notice they're entirely appropriate. I run 5.38 gears for my 35's and 42RLE automatic. I actually wish my highway rpms were a bit higher. The 5.38 is FAR better than the 4.88 I used to run but slightly more highway rpms would be nice.

So come away with the understanding that one ratio that is good for 33's with one engine and transmission type is not going to be appropriate for a different engine and transmission type. Stop listening to the kid at the 4Wheel Parts sales counter. Odds are he's driving Chevy or Ford pickup with a big V8 and his idea of a good ratio wouldn't be correct for our Jeeps.

You have to understand that there can be several correct ratios for the same size tire depending on the engine size, transmission type, and how it's going to be driven. And a guy with a big block Chevy powered vehicle is going to require different ratio than a guy with a 4.0 engine will. So just because some guy says x.xx ratio is ideal for 33's or 35's doesn't mean jack because you have no idea what vehicle/engine/transmission type he's thinking of.

Yes 4.56 would be ideal for 33's and so would 4.88 for 35's with the 4.0 engine and 5-speed manual transmission. But not for your 42RLE transmission that has an extra-steep Overdrive ratio that drops the highway cruising rpms way down, well below what the 5-speed manual transmission does. The 42RLE's Overdrive ratio is .69 which means its cruising rpms drop by 31% when the Overdrive kicks in. The AX-15 5-speed has a .79 Overdrive ratio so it doesn't drop the engine nearly as much. Not to mention it takes a bit more power to run an automatic than it does a manual transmission.

For 33's, you really do want nothing else than 4.88 but 5.13 would be better with your 42RLE automatic. Both of those ratios produce ideal engine rpms on the highway, they will NOT be too high. In fact they'll be right on where you want them and you'll notice they're entirely appropriate. I run 5.38 gears for my 35's and 42RLE automatic. I actually wish my highway rpms were a bit higher. The 5.38 is FAR better than the 4.88 I used to run but slightly more highway rpms would be nice.

So come away with the understanding that one ratio that is good for 33's with one engine and transmission type is not going to be appropriate for a different engine and transmission type. Stop listening to the kid at the 4Wheel Parts sales counter. Odds are he's driving Chevy or Ford pickup with a big V8 and his idea of a good ratio wouldn't be correct for our Jeeps.
wait, 4.56 is the ideal ratio for 33's and a 5 speed (nv3550)?

hu

huh, everything I've found points to 4.88 being a better ratio
It matters what you want to cruise on the highway at. My jeep is very happy cruising at 70-75 with my 35's w/ 4.88 without a problem. If the rubicon lockers were to explode in my jeep I'll be using that opportunity to swap to 5.38 because I don't mind if my highway speed is reduced to 65-70.

Personally, I'd run 4.88 with 33's unless I was concerned about going more than 75 on the highway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq and Wildman
hu

huh, everything I've found points to 4.88 being a better ratio
Maybe it is for some, like if they live in Denver CO or other high altitudes. But 4.56 has been the age-old standard for 33's with the 4.0 and 5-speed. At least if you drive your Jeep on the highway much. 4.88 would produce 2800 rpms at 70 mph with 33's and 5-speed, more than is really needed. 4.56 would give you around 2600.

Reactions: Vasq
Maybe it is for some, like if they live in Denver CO or other high altitudes. But 4.56 has been the age-old standard for 33's with the 4.0 and 5-speed. At least if you drive your Jeep on the highway much. 4.88 would produce 2800 rpms at 70 mph with 33's and 5-speed, more than is really needed. 4.56 would give you around 2600.
Okay, so maybe I'm way off But i swear i read this a lot someplace. I think @jjvw was explaining it to someone. I definitely have a lot of hills and 75 is a pipe dream in the traffic where I live.

My "33" inch tires are really only 32, and from the ground to center is only 15.6"
So I use 31.5 in the calculator with 4.88s and that leaves me @2660 rpm at 70 mph.

Is this method correct, or have I been wrong all along?

Last edited:
Okay, so maybe I'm way off But i swear i read this a lot someplace. I think @jjvw was explaining it to someone. I definitely have a lot of hills and 75 is a pipe dream in the traffic where I live.

My "33" inch tires are really only 32, and from the ground to center is only 15.6"
So I use 31.5 in the calculator and that leaves me @2660 rpm at 70 mph.
Run whatever you want.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw and Vasq

So I use 31.5 in the calculator with 4.88s and that leaves me @2660 rpm at 70 mph.

Is this method correct, or have I been wrong all along?
The 32rh from the factory undermines a lot of the age old "standards" that would make us undergeared.

Last edited:
I have the NV3550
Compare the nv3550 to what the 32rh does from the factory. Final drive gear to final drive gear. Then regear both of those to your desired tire size. See what you get.

I just drove the 5speed with 4.88 on 35s and it still felt a little under gunned to me, I’d go 5.13s if it were my Jeep. Our altitude may come into play on that one though.
And I just drove a 6 speed with 5.13 on 35s and it felt great. I'm less convinced that our altitude is as big a deal as some want it to be.

Reactions: rasband
Compare the nv3550 to what the 32rh does from the factory. Final drive gear to final drive gear. Then regear both of those to your desired tire size. See what you get.
Completely different final drive rpms.
A little extra cryptic today. Different transmissions will need different ratios.
I was thinking I wanted 4.88s for 33" tires and the NV3550, now wondering if I'm wrong and 4.56s are the way to go.

What does that have to do with the 32RH?

NSG 370's final drive is .84:1 and the NV3550 is .78:1 32RH is 1:1

All things equal shouldn't the argument be that the 5 speed requires more gearing??

@Vasq get the 4.88 in the 5 speed, you'll be very happy.

Reactions: jjvw and Vasq
NSG 370's final drive is .84:1 and the NV3550 is .78:1 32RH is 1:1

All things equal shouldn't the argument be that the 5 speed requires more gearing??

@Vasq get the 4.88 in the 5 speed, you'll be very happy.
I might be me (more than likely) but when you put it like that it makes much more sense.

A little extra cryptic today. Different transmissions will need different ratios.
I was thinking I wanted 4.88s for 33" tires and the NV3550, now wondering if I'm wrong and 4.56s are the way to go.

What does that have to do with the 32RH?
32rh from the factory
32rh/29.5"/3.73=3186rpm @ 75mph

32rh with 33s
32rh/32"/3.73=2937rpm @ 75mph
32rh/32"/4.10=3229rpm @ 75mph

NV3550 with 33s
NV3550/32"/4.56=2801rpm @ 75mph
NV3550/32"/4.88=2998rpm @ 75mph
NV3550/32"/5.13=3151rpm @ 75mph

And here is the 42rle pushing 35s with the deep gears Jerry likes so much.
42rle/33.875"/5.13=2633rpm @ 75mph
42rle/33.875"/5.38=2762rpm @ 75mph

And with 5.89, were that possible on factory axles.
42rle/33.875"/5.89=3023rpm @ 75mph

Jeep rolled the 32rh off the assembly line with deeper gearing than the old age "standards" that have been floating around for years. Even my long standing 3krpm@75mph is higher gearing than what Jeep did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq