What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

Thanks, will do on verifying actual speed with GPS.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by the above? What are the bands and TV cable your referring to, transmission related?

Yes, adjusting the bands of the transmission and adjusting the kickdown cable (TV) that controls how much pedal it takes for the trans to downshift.

Those procedures can be found in the Factory Service Manuals posted on this site in the resources section.

Though with 3000 rpm at 65, it should have significantly more power than needed to maintain speed on flat ground and some grades. If you're struggling to keep up, you might have a clogged cat or other similar problem limiting performance.

Reactions: GregBelleville
Yes, adjusting the bands of the transmission and adjusting the kickdown cable (TV) that controls how much pedal it takes for the trans to downshift.

Those procedures can be found in the Factory Service Manuals posted on this site in the resources section.

Though with 3000 rpm at 65, it should have significantly more power than needed to maintain speed on flat ground and some grades. If you're struggling to keep up, you might have a clogged cat or other similar problem limiting performance.

I'm probably exaggerating how slow my Jeep is, it can get up to 65, it just takes it's sweet time getting there, and holds speed fine at 65 unless I hit a hill...

I'd be curious to hear from someone who has swapped 4.10s that has the 32rh and 33s how much of an improvement it made in terms of torque/acceleration.

I'm probably exaggerating how slow my Jeep is, it can get up to 65, it just takes it's sweet time getting there, and holds speed fine at 65 unless I hit a hill...

I'd be curious to hear from someone who has swapped 4.10s that has the 32rh and 33s how much of an improvement it made in terms of torque/acceleration.

That's why I want to see what your speedometer actually is and whether or not it's off. Based on the speed and RPM you shared, the math says you already have 4.10s. If your speed is off, all bets are off.

If you have 3.73 currently, a regear to 4.10 will help but it's not going to be a super dramatic difference.

And of course, the way it drives still much depends on how the transmission is shifting, which those maintenance procedures affect. So post back up when you figure out the speed and can go from there.

Do what macho is saying and check if the speedo is correct and verify what ratio you actually have.

I have a 32rh, 3.73s, 33s, and my speedo is correct. It runs just a hair under 2500 at 65 and isn't a dog at all.

I’m just curious how accurate the Grimmjeeper calculator is… I put all the info in and it’s saying that I have 4.11 gears in my 2003 jeep sport. Pretty sure that’s a gear swap for a nonrubi? Anyone have input?

Other than pulling the cover the most accurate way would be to count how many times the shaft turns durning one rotation of the tire.

Number of TurnsApprox. Gear Ratio
33.05 : 1
3 - 1/23.54 : 1
3 - 3/43.73 : 1
44.10 : 1
4 - 1/24.55 : 1

Reactions: Matt84
Ok. I was thinking about a regear. Will do this method and see. Assuming some chalk on the ds and lift the rear out of gear and spin?

For what it’s worth I have 265/75/16 on a 2003 5spd 4.0 and run 2500 at 75 mph in 5th. The math seems like 4.11

Reactions: Alex01
Ok. I was thinking about a regear. Will do this method and see. Assuming some chalk on the ds and lift the rear out of gear and spin?

For what it’s worth I have 265/75/16 on a 2003 5spd 4.0 and run 2500 at 75 mph in 5th. The math seems like 4.11

That would do the trick.

Math is probably right but it's best to confirm.

Reactions: Matt84
That would do the trick.

Math is probably right but it's best to confirm.

Thanks bro

IMG_0711.jpeg

Reactions: Alex01

That size tire typically measures right at 30.75”. 2500 at a true 75 mph would be 2400 with 3.73 and 2600 at 75.

Are you basing 75 off of GPS or the dash? There is a chance you’re actually going faster than 75 on the dash which would mean rpm is lower than 2500 at 70 which would line up with 3.73.

That size tire typically measures right at 30.75”. 2500 at a true 75 mph would be 2400 with 3.73 and 2600 at 75.

Are you basing 75 off of GPS or the dash? There is a chance you’re actually going faster than 75 on the dash which would mean rpm is lower than 2500 at 70 which would line up with 3.73.
It was right at 15.5 radius. The speedo gear has not been changed I have to check and see if I’m off. Obviously.

Hi all, I've got a gearing question and figure I'll start here first before posting the millionth "what gear ratio should I get" thread.

I've seen a lot of conflicting advice for my situation on what gear ratio too go with. I have a 1999 4.0 with the 3 speed 32rh trans. My Jeep is currently on 33s and it's an absolute dog at highway speeds. At 65mph right now my rpms are right around 3000rpms.

Admittedly this is a fairly old thread, but it seemed like the prevailing advice for the 32rh/33"tire combo was to go no deeper than 4.10 gearing? Is that still the case? If my rpms are already about 3000 at 65, is going deeper to 4.56 or 4.88 recommended or would that put me way too high in the rpms on the highway?

If you are turning 3,000 rpm at 65 and feel you are down on power, would think something isn't right with the engine. Running 31.6" tires, 3.73 ratio, 42RLE, 4.0 have no issues driving on CA freeways which have no shortage of hills to climb. Not mountain grades but miles long uphills chugging along at barely over 2,000rpm still with some power in reserve. Does your gas mileage really suck like less than 14mpg on the freeway?? That would be further evidence that something like bad compression is the problem.

I am running 2500RPM at 70MPH, and it is not a dog at all. Can accelerate to 80MPH w/o a problem. 3000RPM is a lot of power, you should not see it behaving like a dog. Something is wrong.

Don’t think I’ve every seen 80 mph haha

Here in Texas we have places where the speed is 80MPH. My TJ is making it. 4.56 gears, 31 inch Goodrich tires, 42RLE transmission, 4.0 engine. It has no problem maintaining 80MPH on flat highway. The engine like goes into 2850RPM, but it keeps running. I have external transmission cooler, so it keeps the transmission nicely cooled all the time.

I wanted to make a thread about recommended gear ratios to help out fellow TJ / LJ owners. My reason for this is because we see this question come up all the time, and it could be helpful for new owners to have a thread like this to reference. Those "gear ratio" charts you see floating around the internet are notoriously inaccurate, especially when you consider that they don't take two of the most important factors into consideration: which engine you have, and which transmission you have. Those factors are absolutely crucial (along with tire size) when making a decision on which gear ratio to go with.

6 Cylinder Engines
Keep in mind that the deepest gear you can put in a non-Rubicon model Jeep is a 5.13, while the deepest gear you can put in a Rubicon model Jeep is a 5.38. This chart only covers up to 35" tires, and the primary reason for this is because with 37" tires or larger, you should no longer be running stock axles at that point, and therefore your gear ratio limitations will change. The table below is laid out by tire size in the left hand column, and transmission on the top row. Match up your transmission with your tire size to determine the appropriate gear ratio.

32RH42RLEAX15NV3550NSG370

30"

4.10 / 3.73

31"

32"

4.56 or 4.10

33"

34"

5.38 (Rubicon models)

4.88 or 4.56

35"

5.38 (Rubicon models)

5.13 or 4.88

4-Cylinder Engines
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to go over 33" tires on the 4-cylinder engines. For off-roading purposes it's fine, but if you plan on doing any highway driving, anything larger than a 33" tire on a 4-cylinder is really going to make life miserable. The table below is laid out by tire size in the left hand column, and transmission on the top row. Match up your transmission with your tire size to determine the appropriate gear ratio.

30RH42RLEAX5NV1500NSG370

30"

31"

32"

33"

34"

35"

Which transmission does my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ have?
For information on which transmission you have in your Jeep Wrangler TJ or LJ, please see this post.

Which engine does my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ have?
For information on which engine you have in your Jeep Wrangler TJ or LJ, please see this post.

Which axle gear ration did my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ come with?
If you need help determining which gear ratio you currently have, see this thread here: How do I determine my axle gear ratio?

What RPM do I want my TJ to be at at highway speeds?
Ideally you want your engine to be above 2000 RPMs on the highway. The 4.0 for instance doesn't really start it's power band until past 2000 RPM, so keeping it under 2000 RPM at highway speeds is detrimental to performance, and it can also be bad on your engine (in terms of carbon build up, poor fuel economy, etc.). Do not listen to anyone who tells you that you should be crusing at highway speeds with your RPMs under 2000 RPM. This is completely inaccurate and bad information. I prefer mine to be around 2300-2500 RPM at 65 mph, which I feel is the sweet spot for both fuel economy and performance.

What's with 5.13 and 5.38 gears?
5.38 gears will not fit in any other axle other than the Dana 44 axles. In many cases, 5.13 is recommended above for 35s, when 5.38 would actually be a better choice. However, unless you have a Rubicon model (that has both a Dana 44 front and rear axle), then you will have no choice but to use 5.13 gears, unless of course you swapped in Rubicon axles. Many of you will have a Dana 44 rear on your Sport, Sahara, or special edition model TJ. The issue with that is that while you could fit 5.38 gears in the rear Dana 44, they will not fit in your front Dana 30 axle. Remember, that front Dana 44 axle ONLY comes on Rubicon models.

Do I need to have matching gear ratios in both front and rear axles?
Yes! Your front and rear gear ratios must match! If not, you will do serious damage to your vehicle (unless of course you never engage 4WD, in which case, technically you'd be fine.

How much does re-gearing typically cost?
I've found that re-gearing typically costs anywhere from $1000-$1600 for the labor. I've had it done twice, and each time paid $1200 for the labor. This of course excludes parts. You should expect to pay around $500-$800 for parts in addition the labor.

Which brand of gears should I go with?
I personally always recommend Revolution gears, as they are very highly regarded and run by many of us. The general rule of thumb though is to go with whatever gears your installer / shop will warranty. Often times shops will not offer a warranty on certain brands of gears they have never installed before. For this reason, if you really want Revolution gears, but the shop will only warranty Yukon gears, the smart thing to do is go with whatever the shop will warranty.

Is there a break-in procedure for new gears?
Yes, there is indeed! Though Revolution has recently started making REM finished gears that do not require any break-in period whatsoever. In this case, you want to ask the shop installing the gears what they recommend for break-in procedure, and follow their recommendations to the T. Be very aware that if you do not follow the break-in procedure, there's a very good chance you will damage your gears and have to have them replaced. Those break-in procedures are there for a reason.

Should I attempt to install new gears myself?
Absolutely not. If you are reading this, it means you've likely never done it before, and you shouldn't start with learning to wrench by installing gears. Ask someone like @AndyG what happened when he attempted to install his own gears. This isn't to say you couldn't teach yourself to do it, but if you plan on getting it right the first time having never done a gear install before, you'd better think again! This is one of those tasks that takes a lot of skill and experience, as there are a number of variables that all need to be very accurate.

Is there a gear ratio calculator I can play around with?
Yes, there is indeed! Check out the Grim Jeeper Gear Ratio Calculator. It's a very helpful tool that will allow you to see how a given gear ratio will affect your Jeep.

I purchased my rig from an owner that knew nothing about Jeep much like myself, but I'm sucking it up like a sponge. With that said, it had a 2.5 rough country lift added and is running 31s on it now. The prior owner said the rear and front had work done on it. Is there a way to know what the gearing is and what Dana axle is under her?

I purchased my rig from an owner that knew nothing about Jeep much like myself, but I'm sucking it up like a sponge. With that said, it had a 2.5 rough country lift added and is running 31s on it now. The prior owner said the rear and front had work done on it. Is there a way to know what the gearing is and what Dana axle is under her?

See here:

How do I determine my axle gear ratio?

How to identify axles on a Jeep Wrangler TJ (and what the difference is with each axle)

My factory build sheet says I have 3.07 rear axle ratio. I thought that is the gear ratio but when see the charts I never see 3.07 listed as a gear ratio on a TJ am thinking wrong if not why is’nt the 3.07 ratio listed when I look at the charts ?