What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

Dumb question, I've heard that the power band doesn't really become optimal until like 2,500, but when I get near that level it sounds like I'm at redline and doesn't sound like I should drive with it that high. Am I just not used to how it sounds yet or is there something wrong with my jeep? The engine just sounds like its maxing itself out but I wouldn't think that would happen until a higher rpm
Without hearing your Jeep it's hard to say if something is wrong with it or not. You should also fill out your profile or tell people what engine you have so it eliminates that question. 2500 is no where near red line on wither engine. the 4.0 is more than capable of running 3000 without issue and then some. As long as your engine is in good mechanical condition you should have no issues running it up against the rev limiter for short periods of time.

@BuildBreakRepeat and @Steel City 06 are right. When I posted that I hadn't thought about the differences with the auto trans Jeeps simply because I'd never owned one, and I was fairly ignorant of a better source to figure our what gearing is optimal. That being said "optimal" is truly a personal perspective and determined more by what you want your jeep to be able to do. If it's a strictly off road rig then lower gears may be more warranted than if you want to be able to cruise down the interstate. I believe someone posted the link to Grimmjeeper?? later on in the thread. It's a MUCH better tool to use when making a decision on gearing.

Here's the link.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Ahh gotcha okay, thanks!! Yeah the TJ I’m getting has the manual 4.0 5 speed, I believe it has the NV3550 transmission. Oh and 37’s. From all I’ve found in these threads it seems that the current setup it has is in the okay zone, maybe it’d be better off with 5.13’s or 5.38’s but it will be a dd as well as trail rig so ill have to wait and see lol

Reactions: reddvltj
Ahh gotcha okay, thanks!! Yeah the TJ I’m getting has the manual 4.0 5 speed, I believe it has the NV3550 transmission. Oh and 37’s. From all I’ve found in these threads it seems that the current setup it has is in the okay zone, maybe it’d be better off with 5.13’s or 5.38’s but it will be a dd as well as trail rig so ill have to wait and see lol

If it has 37s and you plan to keep them, go with 5.38. If you plan to downsize to 35s, go with 5.13. Those gears will be optimal for highway driving, as they will put you at around 3000 RPM at 75 mph with the 5 speed. 4.88 may also be okay on 35s, but will lose some torque.

If it has 37s and you plan to keep them, go with 5.38. If you plan to downsize to 35s, go with 5.13. Those gears will be optimal for highway driving, as they will put you at around 3000 RPM at 75 mph with the 5 speed. 4.88 may also be okay on 35s, but will lose some torque.
Honestly, I probably won’t go down to 35’s unless these prove to be unbearable, with long distance plans of 1-tons and 40’s. So as long as the Dana 44 axles live I’ll most likely run 37’s. With that said, I know a proper gear install is pricy(1-2k parts and labor) so I probably won’t do that for a while. How will the RPMs be with the 4.88’s? My previous 4.0 manual tj had 35’s and stock gears in a sport(3.73 I believe) so 4th and 5th were unusable. As long as it’s better than that I can deal with it for a while lol

Honestly, I probably won’t go down to 35’s unless these prove to be unbearable, with long distance plans of 1-tons and 40’s. So as long as the Dana 44 axles live I’ll most likely run 37’s. With that said, I know a proper gear install is pricy(1-2k parts and labor) so I probably won’t do that for a while. How will the RPMs be with the 4.88’s? My previous 4.0 manual tj had 35’s and stock gears in a sport(3.73 I believe) so 4th and 5th were unusable. As long as it’s better than that I can deal with it for a while lol
I don’t think it would be nearly as bad as 3.73, 5 speed, and 35s, but you’ll still likely be using 4th gear more than 5th on the freeway.

I am currently running 35s on 4.10s with a 6 speed (not recommended) and I use 5th gear much more than 6th on the freeway, and I imagine my 6th would be very similar to your 5th gear. It will probably hold on flat ground, but only barely. The higher gear can be useful on gentle declines, but otherwise does not have as much purpose.

Grimmjeeper.com

Knock about an inch off of your tire size.

Hello guys, dumb question about re-gearing, if i do that, will my MPH become wrong? how does the TJ measure Velocity? thanks in advance :)!
If you re-gear without changing tire size, yes definitely. If you re-gear to accommodate a specific tire size it may be close to accurate, but not necessarily exact.

The speedometer is driven from the output shaft in the transfer case, whether by mechanical speedometer drive gear or electronic pickup.

Reactions: Cheetokps
If you re-gear without changing tire size, yes definitely. If you re-gear to accommodate a specific tire size it may be close to accurate, but not necessarily exact.

The speedometer is driven from the output shaft in the transfer case, whether by mechanical speedometer drive gear or electronic pickup.
Interesting, i just bought a TJ 98 4.0L 5 Speed manual with already 32'' tires but it has a problem in the dana 35, the speedometer was veryclose to the GPS MPH so I guess it was correctly re geared It seems to me the ring gear is broken if so ill have to change it, and was thinking about returning to the stock gear and change the tires

Interesting, i just bought a TJ 98 4.0L 5 Speed manual with already 32'' tires but it has a problem in the dana 35, the speedometer was veryclose to the GPS MPH so I guess it was correctly re geared It seems to me the ring gear is broken if so ill have to change it, and was thinking about returning to the stock gear and change the to tires
It's entirely possible that someone just changed out the speedometer gear to correct the speedometer.
You'll need to find out what your differential gear ratio is to be sure. Usually when going with bigger tires and gear ratio changes it ends up being a combination of differential gear and speedo gear change to get the speedometer back as close as possible to accurate in the early models.

There is also other options such as the speedohealer.

https://www.polyperformance.com/hea...wrangler-04-06-tj-98-01-cherokee-xj-shv4a-j01

My Brother has a 2006 LJ Rubicon with a 4 speed auto. He is running 33's and is at 5800 feet elevation. You have to have your foot in it all the time and its still a bit of a dog. The question is 5.13 or 5.38's for the swap. His tires are brand new so not in a hurry to put something taller on. Will he be able to go 70+ with 5.38's? Thanks in advance.

My Brother has a 2006 LJ Rubicon with a 4 speed auto. He is running 33's and is at 5800 feet elevation (Colorado). Super clean jeep that is in perfect running condition but, he has to have his foot in it all the time and it's still a bit of a dog. The question is 5.13 or 5.38's for the gear swap. His tires are brand new so not in a hurry to put something taller on. Will he be able to go 70+ racing to a fishing spot with 5.38's? Thanks in advance.

My Brother has a 2006 LJ Rubicon with a 4 speed auto. He is running 33's and is at 5800 feet elevation. You have to have your foot in it all the time and its still a bit of a dog. The question is 5.13 or 5.38's for the swap. His tires are brand new so not in a hurry to put something taller on. Will he be able to go 70+ with 5.38's? Thanks in advance.

He wants 5.38.

33s
42rle/32”/3.73=2027rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/4.10=2228rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/4.56=2478rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/4.88=2652rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/5.13=2788rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/5.38=2923rpm @ 75mph

Reactions: Steel City 06
He wants 5.38.

33s
42rle/32”/3.73=2027rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/4.10=2228rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/4.56=2478rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/4.88=2652rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/5.13=2788rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/5.38=2923rpm @ 75mph
Ya man thats what I am thinking also. By your pro-pic, it looks like you know your way around some mountains and snow. I also called Mr. Blaine (black magic brakes) and he said the same thing. I have been buying brakes and taking that guys advice for a lot of years. Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

Reactions: jjvw
Really useful thread in terms of gear ratio selection, but I have a slightly more basic question.

I have a 2002 5 speed 4.0l, so it comes with stock 3.07 according to the vehicle build sheet (which ties up with the thread on stock specifications), dana 30 front dana 44 rear. If I look at alternative gears, be they 4.56 or 4.88 on the Quadratec site I see this in the description detail...

"Please Note: Jeeps currently with 3.07 & 3.54 gear ratio will require new carriers front and rear. Current 3.73 gear ratios will require a new rear carrier only."

Now I have searched on the site and a bit on google for "differential carrier" and similar terms, without finding much definitive. Is the part I would need front and rear...

yukon-ydc706025-rear-open-carrier-case-empty-dana44-jeep-wrangler-tj-cj-main.jpg

If I decide to put in a locker at the same time, I presume I don't need the new carrier.

Does the question make sense?

Reactions: reddvltj and Vasq
That's great, thanks. So do the spider gears from the existing differential get refitted into the new carrier or do they need replacing as well?
I wanna say they will get moved to the new carrier but to be honest i'm not sure on that one. I've never heard of people having to change or swap their spider gears because of carrier fitment.