What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

That's why I preferred 4.88 with 33s on the highway. And it's why I want at least 5.13 with 35s.
I agree. At the time the recommendation was 4.88 for my setup. Annoyingly, if I went to 5.13 I'd be over the 100 mark for crawl ratio :cry: My jeep though is slow enough that it's certainly not worth the expense of a regear unless I was to swap in a RJ HP44 to decrease the DS angle.

Reactions: DrDmoney
4.56 will be perfect. Personally, I'd go 4.88 with 33's but I prefer a higher crawl ratio to highway speed. I wish I went 5.13 or 5.38 with my 35s / NV3550.

On 4.88 with 35's I can easily cruise at 75-80MPH
Seriously? 4.56 will get me less like a dog on the freeway going between 65-70 while maintaining just above 2K RPM? I'm already sitting at 2K at 65mph. Wouldn't this move to 4.56 significantly increase my rpms at 65mph? My thought would be that I'd be closer to 3K rpm at 65 if I move to 4.56. Also the move to 4.56 would prevent me from losing speed on an incline or acting less like a dog at cruising speeds?

Seriously? 4.56 will get me less like a dog on the freeway going between 65-70 while maintaining just above 2K RPM? I'm already sitting at 2K at 65mph. Wouldn't this move to 4.56 significantly increase my rpms at 65mph? My thought would be that I'd be closer to 3K rpm at 65 if I move to 4.56. Also the move to 4.56 would prevent me from losing speed on an incline or acting less like a dog at cruising speeds?
All of that is better than what you have. 4.88 would be even better! ;)

Reactions: Alex01
According to the calculator, you should be around 1900 RPM in 5th gear currently @65mph. If you went to 4.56 it would increase to 2350 RPM, 4.88 would take it to 2500 RPM.

You can play with the numbers here. For transmission choose the NV3550 Wide Ratio

Reactions: reddvltj
According to the calculator, you should be around 1900 RPM in 5th gear currently @65mph. If you went to 4.56 it would increase to 2350 RPM, 4.88 would take it to 2500 RPM.

You can play with the numbers here. For transmission choose the NV3550 Wide Ratio
what is the ideal RPM for 70MPH?

I've got the NV3550/33's combo too. I've been just planning on doing 4.88 this whole time,

@70 I'm at 2888rpm because the centerline of my axle/wheel is still only at 15.5" (according to the calculator)

is this line of thought correct?

I wouldn't recall, but in bone stock form, at 70mph the rpms are around that 2800 mark?
Drag on the engine is not linear with tire size and lift height. The drag is exponential as you lift the vehicle making it less aerodynamic and harder for the engine to turn larger diameter tires that are also heavier. All of those factor in to the engine running best at 2800-3000. Also, Jeep under geared them from the factory. My MPG went from 12mpg at 2100 to 15mpg at 3000.

Drag on the engine is not linear with tire size and lift height. The drag is exponential as you lift the vehicle making it less aerodynamic and harder for the engine to turn larger diameter tires that are also heavier. All of those factor in to the engine running best at 2800-3000. Also, Jeep under geared them from the factory. My MPG went from 12mpg at 2100 to 15mpg at 3000.
This is a fantastic post.

I have always been happy with the responsiveness of my stock Jeep, and in part I guess that is because it is all I have ever known. So my instinctive response to this thread was to plug my stock numbers in to the calculator to see what the RPM was at 70mph. The answer is 1983. OK I thought, if I move up to 33" tires I need a gear ratio that returns me to that RPM (which would be about 3.73). What your extremely helpful post does is to explain why targeting the same RPM as a stock Jeep following a lift and adding more weight is not the right answer. Obvious I am sure to the old hands on here, but to a newbie like myself priceless. Thank you.

I have always been happy with the responsiveness of my stock Jeep, and in part I guess that is because it is all I have ever known. So my instinctive response to this thread was to plug my stock numbers in to the calculator to see what the RPM was at 70mph. The answer is 1983. OK I thought, if I move up to 33" tires I need a gear ratio that returns me to that RPM (which would be about 3.73). What your extremely helpful post does is to explain why targeting the same RPM as a stock Jeep following a lift and adding more weight is not the right answer. Obvious I am sure to the old hands on here, but to a newbie like myself priceless. Thank you.
another note would be to measure from the ground to the center of your wheel/axle and double that number which will be your effective rolling tire size (if im understanding it correctly). My 33's only net me 15.5 which is a 31 for the calculator.

Reactions: UKTJ and L J

As @Vasq mentioned, I prefer to work backwards to determine tire size. Using the grim jeeper gear calculator, you can plug in all the values you know and then adjust the tire size so it matches up with what you see on the highway. If I see 2000rpm at 60 mph but the gear calc says I should be at a different rpm - I know my “realized” tire size is actually different.

Reactions: UKTJ and Vasq
I wanted to make a thread about recommended gear ratios to help out fellow TJ / LJ owners. My reason for this is because we see this question come up all the time, and it could be helpful for new owners to have a thread like this to reference. Those "gear ratio" charts you see floating around the internet are notoriously inaccurate, especially when you consider that they don't take two of the most important factors into consideration: which engine you have, and which transmission you have. Those factors are absolutely crucial (along with tire size) when making a decision on which gear ratio to go with.

6 Cylinder Engines
Keep in mind that the deepest gear you can put in a non-Rubicon model Jeep is a 5.13, while the deepest gear you can put in a Rubicon model Jeep is a 5.38. This chart only covers up to 35" tires, and the primary reason for this is because with 37" tires or larger, you should no longer be running stock axles at that point, and therefore your gear ratio limitations will change. The table below is laid out by tire size in the left hand column, and transmission on the top row. Match up your transmission with your tire size to determine the appropriate gear ratio.

32RH42RLEAX15NV3550NSG370

30"

4.10 / 3.73

31"

32"

4.56 / 4.10

33"

34"

5.38 (Rubicon models)

4.88 / 4.56

35"

5.38 (Rubicon models)

5.13 / 4.88

4-Cylinder Engines
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to go over 33" tires on the 4-cylinder engines. For off-roading purposes it's fine, but if you plan on doing any highway driving, anything larger than a 33" tire on a 4-cylinder is really going to make life miserable. The table below is laid out by tire size in the left hand column, and transmission on the top row. Match up your transmission with your tire size to determine the appropriate gear ratio.

30RH42RLEAX5NV1500NSG370

30"

31"

32"

33"

34"

35"

Which transmission does my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ have?
For information on which transmission you have in your Jeep Wrangler TJ or LJ, please see this post.

Which engine does my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ have?
For information on which engine you have in your Jeep Wrangler TJ or LJ, please see this post.

Which axle gear ration did my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ come with?
If you need help determining which gear ratio you currently have, see this thread here: How do I determine my axle gear ratio?

What RPM do I want my TJ to be at at highway speeds?
Ideally you want your engine to be above 2000 RPMs on the highway. The 4.0 for instance doesn't really start it's power band until past 2000 RPM, so keeping it under 2000 RPM at highway speeds is detrimental to performance, and it can also be bad on your engine (in terms of carbon build up, poor fuel economy, etc.). Do not listen to anyone who tells you that you should be crusing at highway speeds with your RPMs under 2000 RPM. This is completely inaccurate and bad information. I prefer mine to be around 2300-2500 RPM at 65 mph, which I feel is the sweet spot for both fuel economy and performance.

What's with 5.13 and 5.38 gears?
5.38 gears will not fit in any other axle other than the Dana 44 axles. In many cases, 5.13 is recommended above for 35s, when 5.38 would actually be a better choice. However, unless you have a Rubicon model (that has both a Dana 44 front and rear axle), then you will have no choice but to use 5.13 gears, unless of course you swapped in Rubicon axles. Many of you will have a Dana 44 rear on your Sport, Sahara, or special edition model TJ. The issue with that is that while you could fit 5.38 gears in the rear Dana 44, they will not fit in your front Dana 30 axle. Remember, that front Dana 44 axle ONLY comes on Rubicon models.

Do I need to have matching gear ratios in both front and rear axles?
Yes! Your front and rear gear ratios must match! If not, you will do serious damage to your vehicle (unless of course you never engage 4WD, in which case, technically you'd be fine.

How much does re-gearing typically cost?
I've found that re-gearing typically costs anywhere from $1000-$1600 for the labor. I've had it done twice, and each time paid $1200 for the labor. This of course excludes parts. You should expect to pay around $500-$800 for parts in addition the labor.

Which brand of gears should I go with?
I personally always recommend Revolution gears, as they are very highly regarded and run by many of us. The general rule of thumb though is to go with whatever gears your installer / shop will warranty. Often times shops will not offer a warranty on certain brands of gears they have never installed before. For this reason, if you really want Revolution gears, but the shop will only warranty Yukon gears, the smart thing to do is go with whatever the shop will warranty.

Is there a break-in procedure for new gears?
Yes, there is indeed! Though Revolution has recently started making REM finished gears that do not require any break-in period whatsoever. In this case, you want to ask the shop installing the gears what they recommend for break-in procedure, and follow their recommendations to the T. Be very aware that if you do not follow the break-in procedure, there's a very good chance you will damage your gears and have to have them replaced. Those break-in procedures are there for a reason.

Should I attempt to install new gears myself?
Absolutely not. If you are reading this, it means you've likely never done it before, and you shouldn't start with learning to wrench by installing gears. Ask someone like @AndyG what happened when he attempted to install his own gears. This isn't to say you couldn't teach yourself to do it, but if you plan on getting it right the first time having never done a gear install before, you'd better think again! This is one of those tasks that takes a lot of skill and experience, as there are a number of variables that all need to be very accurate.

Is there a gear ratio calculator I can play around with?
Yes, there is indeed! Check out the Grim Jeeper Gear Ratio Calculator. It's a very helpful tool that will allow you to see how a given gear ratio will affect your Jeep.
My rubi has 42rle and came stock with 4.1:1 diff gearing stock so this chart says I need 5.13:1 for 33s .... thats not correct ..says I should have 4.56:1 for smaller than stock tires ... what

My rubi has 42rle and came stock with 4.1:1 diff gearing stock so this chart says I need 5.13:1 for 33s .... thats not correct ..says I should have 4.56:1 for smaller than stock tires ... what
I’m not sure I understand your English.

For a Rubicon with the 42RLE and 33” tires, 5.13 is the ideal gear ratio. Anything below that will not be deep enough. Trust me, I had the same setup with 4.88 years and always wished I went deeper.

For a Rubicon with the 42RLE and 33” tires, 5.13 is the ideal gear ratio. Anything below that will not be deep enough. Trust me, I had the same setup with 4.88 years and always wished I went deeper.
Ok so the rubis come with 30.5 inch diameter tires with 4.10 diffs stock ... 2.5 inch increase in tire diameter requires 5.13 gears .... this is the only time I have ever seen this .. everybody else says 4.56 or maybe 4.88 if going to 35s... I'm confused ... its a little pokey on the highway with 265/75/16 on 4.10s but that's a huge jump to 5.13 for 33s... please explain or show some rpm numbers at cruising speed compared to stock for each different gear size ...

Ok so the rubis come with 30.5 inch diameter tires with 4.10 diffs stock ... 2.5 inch increase in tire diameter requires 5.13 gears .... this is the only time I have ever seen this .. everybody else says 4.56 or maybe 4.88 if going to 35s... I'm confused ... its a little pokey on the highway with 265/75/16 on 4.10s but that's a huge jump to 5.13 for 33s... please explain or show some rpm numbers at cruising speed compared to stock for each different gear size ...
Yes, 4.56 years would be appropriate if you had a NSG370 manual. the .69 OD ratio in the 42RLE ends up resulting in very, very deep gears if you want to do it right.

Believe me when I say that if you have a 33" tire on a 42RLE equipped Rubicon, going with 4.56 would be a huge mistake. Going with 4.88 would be slightly better, but 5.13 would be spot on.

If you're going to go to 35s, you'll want 5.38 gears. Ideally you'd want deeper, but that's as deep as you can go with the Dana 44 axles.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

Would you really go 5.13 if you had a 33 set up with a 42RLE? It seems like most with that transmission and 35's say they wish they went deeper, using 3.58. So it seems like 33' with 5.38 would be even better.

Would you really go 5.13 if you had a 33 set up with a 42RLE? It seems like most with that transmission and 35's say they wish they went deeper, using 3.58. So it seems like 33' with 5.38 would be even better.

Absolutely, yes.

My black TJ Rubicon had 285s on it and a 4" Currie lift if you recall. I had it re-geared to 4.88 and while it was much better than 4.10, I always felt like I made a mistake by not going with 5.13 instead. I took that thing on a lot of really long highway trips (200 plus miles both ways) and the 5.13 would have been about perfect I think.

My last khaki TJ with the 42RLE and 5.38s, it was good, but I still remember thinking to myself that if there was a way to run an even deeper gear, I probably would.

It's that damn transmission and the overdrive, that's what it is.

In all fairness, you may be right. Going with 5.38 gears with 33s and a 42RLE might actually be a better idea. I've often said (and many of us do) that you can never go too deep with gearing for the 42RLE.

To newbies it doesn't make much sense on paper until they actually experience it in real life, then it totally makes sense.

So yeah, if I was in his position, I'd probably just put in 5.38 gears. Hell, of anything at least it sets him up for 35s, which you and I know is where all roads lead :LOL:

Reactions: Alex01
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg