What grinds your gears?

Ha, this one gets me too! Like okay buddy, you're not going to get there any faster.

I often hope they rear-end me, just so I can get some free insurance money.

X2 to this. I told my wife that I'll probably encourage our kids to go to trade school as oppose to college. Unless you're going to college to major in something very, very specific (i.e. biochemistry), then going for a degree like "business" is just nothing but a big paperweight to put on your desk.

My brother-in-law is a union plumber and makes $100 an hour on most days, easy. He ALWAYS has work, and there is a huge demand for plumbers at the union, so it's a job that will always have availability.

Trade school these days is the way to go in most cases!
You don't even need trade school for some unions, The NYC electrical union puts you in their own school to train you. I passed that offer up when I graduated college, my father in law was a lifer and my uncle was the business agent of the entire local in the city. I would now be 10 years away from retiring with multiple pensions and healthcare. I also think parents often look over the military as a viable option for there kids, especially if you can get into one of the academies.

Reactions: Markymech
I got my bachelor's, but if I was to do it all over again, I'd probably go to a trade school. There's some seriously good careers down that path and anyone who underestimates people based on going to a trade school doesn't know what they're talking about.

My wife has 2 degrees (business & history) and I'm tremendously proud of her scholarship, and respect the effort required by anyone for pursuing higher education. But - she understands that I am also highly educated, it's just that my education took a different path.

Ha, this one gets me too! Like okay buddy, you're not going to get there any faster.

I often hope they rear-end me, just so I can get some free insurance money.

X2 to this. I told my wife that I'll probably encourage our kids to go to trade school as oppose to college. Unless you're going to college to major in something very, very specific (i.e. biochemistry), then going for a degree like "business" is just nothing but a big paperweight to put on your desk.

My brother-in-law is a union plumber and makes $100 an hour on most days, easy. He ALWAYS has work, and there is a huge demand for plumbers at the union, so it's a job that will always have availability.

Trade school these days is the way to go in most cases!

I went to college for a year, working and generating debt...lol...I kept seeing these guys make decent money while they learned a trade, and realized that by the time I graduated they would be making BIG money and I would just be starting out. So I baled on college and never looked back. It's all good, higher education is great, and I agree - if a person is pursuing a specific interest then a degree is often the way to go. It's seems though, that kids are programmed to believe that college is the ONLY way to succeed in life and I disagree.

Unless you're going to college to major in something very, very specific (i.e. biochemistry), then going for a degree like "business" is just nothing but a big paperweight to put on your desk.

I wouldn't go quite that far with degrees. My degree is in Communication, which wasn't very helpful for me to get a job when I graduated, but it certainly allowed me to climb the ladder and progress higher in my career.

Honestly, most of the stuff I actually learned in college has been more beneficial from a personal standpoint, but having the degree itself has been useful in surpassing a lot of barriers.

However, I'd probably be earning more money or at least would have earned more money with a lot less debt if I had gone to tradeschool.

Student dept can be a massive burden, especially if you don't have a large family coffer to draw from. I was just fortunate enough to have a disabled vet as a parent, which covered a lot of my costs.

You don't even need trade school for some unions, The NYC electrical union puts you in their own school to train you. I passed that offer up when I graduated college, my father in law was a lifer and my uncle was the business agent of the entire local in the city. I would now be 10 years away from retiring with multiple pensions and healthcare. I also think parents often look over the military as a viable option for there kids, especially if you can get into one of the academies.

Yep, I agree. I spent 4 years in the army, tried college, then found an entry-level job and started working my up in the trades. If I had it to do over again I definitely would have gone to trade school because I did it the harder way, but there is such a shortage in trades now that more companies are willing to do apprenticeships and train people.

Reactions: Jack72
I have a degree in Rangeland Ecology & Watershed Management. While having a degree certainly helped in getting a job, I definitely do not think one is necessary for my line of work. I was fortunate enough to have a scholarship, so I have no student debt. But I do know plenty of folks who did not go to school and make just as much if not more than I do. Looking back, I would have done trade school or just stuck with the job I had throughout the summers. I worked for the county and by the end of it I was the supervisors right hand man. I could have easily taken his spot once he retired and would be making roughly 20k more a year than I do currently.

My sister has a master in psychology. She'll never be able to pay off her student loans. Never. The interest on her loans are insane. She is finding that her minimum payment is not enough, she just goes into more debt each month.

And lets not forget about the refridgeration techs. There's a deffinate shortage of qualified technicians nationwide right now.

I spent 10+ years as an industrial mechanic/machinist, then got some training/certification in refrigeration for that very reason - massive shortage. Love the work.
Encouraged my daughter to consider it too, because my employer would do backflips to hire a female refrigeration tech. She chose college which is fine, but man are there opportunities out there for any interested young ladies!

I wouldn't go quite that far with degrees. My degree is in Communication, which wasn't very helpful for me to get a job when I graduated, but it certainly allowed me to climb the ladder and progress higher in my career.

I think the problem you face nowadays is that the market is flooded with degrees. In order to really stand out, you either have to have a very specialized degree, a lot of experience, or a masters / PHD, which elevates you over the others. I've read a number of articles about this in recent years, and it makes sense.

More and more kids are going to college, so the playing field is becoming leveled to the point where a regular 4-year degree doesn't mean as much as it used to, that's all I'm saying. I have a B.S. degree in computer science myself.

It's similar here with plumbing. My brother-in-law joined the union and they put him in their own school. He worked as an apprentice while going to their school, and eventually he became a full on plumber.

He gets great benefits from his union for him and his entire family, he also makes a great living as well. It's certainly one of those things that most people don't think about when they graduate high school!

I agree with what you're saying about the military too! You can make a good career out of the military if you follow the right path!

I spent 10+ years as an industrial mechanic/machinist, then got some training/certification in refrigeration for that very reason - massive shortage. Love the work.
Encouraged my daughter to consider it too, because my employer would do backflips to hire a female refrigeration tech. She chose college which is fine, but man are there opportunities out there for any interested young ladies!
Ive only met one woman in the trade, and she was doing an internship while she studied to get into cryogenics.
Before i moved to TN, i trained alot of kids from trade schools, mostly high schoolers. They were not very good at working . Once they discovered life is more than video games, they didnt stick with it. Too bad, because it is a good trade.

People who tailgate you when there is a long line of traffic in front of you. You can't go any faster... If I pull over and let them go by, where are they going to go?
That's almost word for word what I say when I see them on my tail....I did get out once when a guy was sooooo close for like 15 mins in traffic...I walked to the back of my Jeep looked at my car then looked at his, then back at mine and his again...he opened his window and yelled 'whats wrong"...I yelled back "you are so damn close I thought I was towing you ! " he yelled something back at me while I got back in my Jeep...he did keep his distance after that haha.... ( thinking about it afterwards that encounter could have gone either way though )

That's almost word for word what I say when I see them on my tail....I did get out once when a guy was sooooo close for like 15 mins in traffic...I walked to the back of my Jeep looked at my car then looked at his, then back at mine and his again...he opened his window and yelled 'whats wrong"...I yelled back "you are so damn close I thought I was towing you ! " he yelled something back at me while I got back in my Jeep...he did keep his distance after that haha.... ( thinking about it afterwards that encounter could have gone either way though )

That was awesomely clever thing to tell that guy. Good job my friend.

Reactions: hvacker and Kiwi TJ
You handled that WAAAAAY better than I would have. I have all kinds of false bravado for a 53yo somewhat overweight guy with a lot of orthopedic challenges. I admire you!!!

Reactions: Chris and Kiwi TJ
You handled that WAAAAAY better than I would have. I have all kinds of false bravado for a 53yo somewhat overweight guy with a lot of orthopedic challenges. I admire you!!!
Thanks but I may have miss-calculated the size of the guy following me.:eek:..when he leaned out of the window he looked a lot bigger than I expected...but it was too late I was already committed plus I'm only 5'4" haha

Reactions: mde8965 and Chris
people that go through drive thru's order a dozen coffee,

people who say "same difference",

people who say "that may or may not be the case"

"prolly" instead of probably,

and twist off beer caps that will not twist off!

I lose my sh** when people stand on escalators. Crazy I know. But when I get in from a week long work trip I am ready to get home. Everyone stands two-abreast up the escalator and you cant get around. Ive gotten good at exiting Denver International Airport, where to stand on the train so I can be the first one out and walk up the escalator and to the bus, to my jeep and finally haul ass home.

On a different level--I used to have a co-worker who, on every Monday, would clip his fingernails at his desk. :mad:
It’s pretty much a rule here and clearly sign posted to stand in the right and walk on the left but foreigners and people from out of town don’t seem to understand this or recognise the 60 person tailgate they have created with their lack of self awareness.

My father (deceased) was ex military. He looked like hanks father from King of the Hill. In his golden years if somebody was standing in the middle of the isle at the store. He would say “excuse me” loud enough to hear clearly. And if the person did not move he would turn his head to the side pretending he too was oblivious and run his cart into their cart or the person. He lived with me at the time and if I was in the store with him I would shamelessly walk the other way about 10ft when I thought it was about to happen. It was funny but embarrassing at the same time.
YES!!! God bless him!