What happened inside my drum brakes?

eastbloc

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Did refresh on drum components roughly 2 month ago. Today took drums off and this fork fell out...
Any ideas how did this happen?

20200802_162008.jpg

20200802_162003.jpg

20200802_161944.jpg

20200802_161951.jpg

Not being able to see everything you observed when you disassembled the drum brakes; I think one of the brake shoe return springs may have come loose or broken or the adjuster cable came loose or is broken.

I have a really hard time believing that just fell out of everything was assembled correctly.

32A63A2E-F6AB-490E-A893-E13141F4D7C6.jpeg

this is how it should look.. your piece your holding goes toward the top above the hub.. I imagine it was not set in place correctly when put back together and it fell out

Reactions: mrjp
View attachment 181068
this is how it should look.. your piece your holding goes toward the top above the hub.. I imagine it was not set in place correctly when put back together and it fell out

Just FYI, I believe the yellow spring over the bar that fell out is backwards. Installed like the picture it will not provide any tension, and probably will allow the bar to fall out.

You can see below that the small end of the spring is on the inside edge and it compresses to hold that bar in place.

1596423432207.png

Last edited:
Also as an FYI, having that spring in backwards makes the breaks WAAAAYYYY easer to install. You will know it is installed correctly by the huge increase in swear words you will say trying to get everything assembled.

I followed the layout in the first picture when I did my breaks and thought to myself "that was not so bad. What is everyone complaining about?". I realized my error on the other side and just about took it to a shop after fighting with it for an hour. Then I realized I had to correct it on the other side and almost lost it. I did get it done, but it was enough to make me understand why people do the disk break conversion.

No other issues, both sides installed just like in picture. Park brake was working as always.
Driver side is fine, right side side is this, litteraly just fell out.

Did not fight with it when putting back together, so yellow spring is definitely wasn't as compressed as in 2nd pic. Simply took white springs off, spread the pads, fit the fork back in there, applied tension with pads and snapped white springs back in place.

Last edited:
No other issues, both sides installed just like in picture. Park brake was working as always.
Driver side is fine, right side side is this, litteraly just fell out.

Did not fight with it when putting back together, so yellow spring is definitely wasn't as compressed as in 2nd pic. Simply took white springs off, spread the pads, fit the fork back in there, applied tension with pads and snapped white springs back in place.

If the yellow spring was not compressed like the second pic shows you didn't install it right.

*edit* Reading this today it sounds confusing. To clarify, the first pic in this thread is wrong, do it like the other pics show.

Last edited:
Just FYI, I believe the yellow spring over the bar that fell out is backwards. Installed like the picture it will not provide any tension, and probably will allow the bar to fall out.

You can see below that the small end of the spring is on the inside edge and it compresses to hold that bar in place.

View attachment 181074
It was a pic I pulled off the forum, but you are correct

It was a pic I pulled off the forum, but you are correct

I know, I recognized it as the one I used it to put mine back together. I think a lot of people have used it as it is one of the 1st ones to pop up in a Google search as well. The issue is, it is incorrect. I found out the hard way as described above.

Reactions: Hog
well, that explains it
funny thing is, this is my 4th time inside the drums, and previous 3 times i reassembled the way they were. 4th time i did not pay attention and had to use that 1st pic to reassemble it.

Aren't both pics correct? Yellow spring on opposite side of green spring/cable thingey?

No, ignore the right/left side. That is just opposite sides of the car. The yellow spring has one end that is wrapped smaller and will catch on a lip on the metal bracket. In the 1st picture the yellow spring is on backwards causing the spring to extend into and over the arm. In the 2nd picture the small end of the spring is against the lip and compresses.

1596486646837.png

1596487080655.png

1596486653830.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and Jamison C
But if you look carefully, the yellow spring is over the correct end. Now, maybe it's not the correct spring.

But if you look carefully, the yellow spring is over the correct end. Now, maybe it's not the correct spring.

It is over the correct end of the metal bracket, but the yellow spring is backwards. One side of the yellow spring is coiled smaller than the other. If both sides are the same it is either the wrong spring, or damaged.

If it does not compress against the brake pad it is not doing anything.