What has been your favorite understated modification?

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Those of you who have had your Jeep for a while, what are your favorite quiet modifications. Suspension upgrades and angry eyes are easy and pretty obvious. I'm interested in the little things that would go unnoticed on the RTI ramp, but you might use every day to make life a little better.

Here is a quick list of my longstanding favorites...

-seat heaters
-in-dash wireless phone charging
-additional windshield sprayer nozzels
-brighter back up lights

Reactions: RussTJ and Chris
Wiring up the cigarette lighter to an unused, fused, constant 12v wire that was prewired and marked "12V" behind the glove comp. It was terminated with heat-shrink, factory labelled, and wrapped up in the wire bundle leading to the fuse block. That way cell phones can be charged even when the ignition is off.

I put fluid in the transfer case that had about none, takin away that funky sound when i bought it acouple years ago:). anybody by a jeep, check your transfer case fluid. one of them forgotten underneath things to check, that nobody wants to. i went an looked at the jeep, an rolled it down the road, about a mile, didnt get over 50 probably, he said he just had the transmission rebuilt, but didnt have receipts. the deal was good enough that if something was bad, could throw another transmission in. So after getting onto the highway a good distance away, the rumbling started about in the 60mph range, underneath in the middle. So after checkin the transfer case, an finding about no fluid, maybe thats why he gave out the good deal. didnt know the case had no fluid in it, an was thinkin it was the tranny he just got rebuilt. maybe he rebuilt the tranny, thinkin it was that an it was the no fluid in the transfer case. it might not be a bad idea to when you go buy a jeep, crawl under, have the plug wrench with ya, an check the transfer fluid, an check for leakin around the seals. mine was clean around the transfer seals. but then if theres no fluid, an you tell em, you might not get a good deal?....always a decision on what is the right thing to do:) heres a question, if the transfer case is low, at what point will rumbling start? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
I put fluid in the transfer case that had about none, takin away that funky sound when i bought it acouple years ago:). anybody by a jeep, check your transfer case fluid. on of them forgotten underneath things to check, that nobody wants to.

Routine maintenance is a good understated modification! :)

The little plastic molded dash top tray from I can't remember who. Holds Cell phone and other odds and ends in place and is easily within reach. Cheap too
15213933942041546816269.jpg

The little plastic molded dash top tray from I can't remember who. Holds Cell phone and other odds and ends in place and is easily within reach. Cheap too View attachment 35697

Yours is from Daystar. Crown also sells one without the text. Recently, I have seen versions with a built in ball mount for a phone or GPS.

Here is mine with a clock added to it. I use both nearly every day.
20160330_083817.jpg

Last edited:
My home built license plate fairlead mount.
2.jpg

My custom built spare tire accessory mount.
2.jpg
20150220_134226.jpg
20150220_145528.jpg

BBK.
54.jpg

Cleaned up and added LED backup lights to my rear bumper.
20151020_124018.jpg

Best wiper blades I've ever found. going on 5 years old and still working well.
P1040706.JPG

Little bit of extra storage via ammo can.
P1040767.JPG

CO2 tank mount.
P1060888.JPG

P1060890.JPG

Reactions: Jack_Stefan
What clock is that?
Unknown Chinese clock from eBay. I think I paid $2 and waited eight weeks for it to arrive on the barge.

My criteria is that is needed to be the old fashioned red LED and be a 12 hour rather than 24 hour. At the time, that was difficult to find. Unfortunately, what I got doesn't keep good time. I need to speed it up every few weeks. Beyond that, I like it.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: Serbonze
Those of you who have had your Jeep for a while, what are your favorite quiet modifications. Suspension upgrades and angry eyes are easy and pretty obvious. I'm interested in the little things that would go unnoticed on the RTI ramp, but you might use every day to make life a little better.

Here is a quick list of my longstanding favorites...

-seat heaters
-in-dash wireless phone charging
-additional windshield sprayer nozzels
-brighter back up lights
Did you replace the existing sprayer nozzles with a new model or install an additional one?

The little plastic molded dash top tray from I can't remember who. Holds Cell phone and other odds and ends in place and is easily within reach. Cheap too View attachment 35697
Funny when I think about it but yea, that does come in handy and I use it every time I am in the Jeep to hold my phone and glasses. I coated mine with several layers of PlastiDip to help keep things from sliding around it and quiet it down a bit.