What have you 3D printed for your TJ?

I didn’t 3-D print it, but someone local did: a tray for the middle console. Fits nice and is about 3.5” deep.

I tried to print a host of designs years back for the Jeep. I mostly printed in ABS which wouldn't hold up long in the Southern California sun.

PLA wasn't a good medium for the designs I had as the striations were exaggerated, and I couldn't get my chamfers to print at the right angle with the printer I was using. Just an overall rougher look. Made for a decent epoxy mold, though. I lost interest in those projects and went on to pew pews.

All in all I didn't have much luck.

Reactions: chimmike
Wheel center caps

Jeep_Center_Cap_w_logo v5.jpg

I'd give a kidney for a good metal 3D printer.
I'd have to give another kidney for the engineering knowledge and programming skill to use it properly.
My casting engineer is up on that stuff by a fair bit more than others I chat with. He related a few years ago that they have them up good enough to print some of the complex valve bodies for rockets that you just can't machine normally without making the part much larger and less efficient.

My casting engineer is up on that stuff by a fair bit more than others I chat with. He related a few years ago that they have them up good enough to print some of the complex valve bodies for rockets that you just can't machine normally without making the part much larger and less efficient.
friend of mine has a masters in engineering and specialized in additive manufacturing. Some of the stuff he's explained to me is really exciting for the future of manufacturing and technical capability. Koenigsegg has been using 3d printing for stuff for a while.

After finding out that my 97 didn’t come with (what I call) a water guard over the cabin air intake hole under the cowl, I’ve wanted to find someone to help me design and print one… with the possibility of adding a spot where a filter could be added.

I would love to stop getting blasted with sand the first time the heater is used, and I’m sure my GF would appreciate me eliminating the foot wash feature that happens when going 55mph+ in heavy rain…