What I need for a CB radio?

etjeepgang

I am trying to get a CB radio. But I don't really know what I need to get it. I was wondering what if some one can help me by telling what parts I need to get to instal it. Thanks for reading my thread!

Radio of your choice, though I recommend the Uniden 520xl. Wired directly to your battery. Antenna cable. Antenna--I recommend a 2' firestik. Antenna mount. A popular one is the tail light mount from Teraflex. And finally, an SWR meter.

It is important the antenna is grounded properly. The mount should have your adapter, a metal lock washer underneath that, a flat metal washer under that, an shoulder washer, and finally your mounting bracket. Your antenna mount (if you choose Teraflex), needs to be stripped away of paint where it contacts the body, as well as the antenna items mentioned above.
ant-mount grind away location.JPG

Reactions: psrivats
Radio of your choice, though I recommend the Uniden 520xl. Wired directly to your battery. Antenna cable. Antenna--I recommend a 2' firestik. Antenna mount. A popular one is the tail light mount from Teraflex. And finally, an SWR meter.

It is important the antenna is grounded properly. The mount should have your adapter, a metal lock washer underneath that, a flat metal washer under that, an shoulder washer, and finally your mounting bracket. Your antenna mount (if you choose Teraflex), needs to be stripped away of paint where it contacts the body, as well as the antenna items mentioned above.View attachment 133355
X2 to all the above. A Uniden Pro-520xl radio is a great choice, they were only $44 or so at Amazon the last time I checked. My personal choice for an antenna is a FIrestick FS-2 or FS-3, with the number indicating its height in feet. The top of my FS-2 antenna is rooftop height with it mounted at tail light height. Even my 2' antenna works well and covers for miles in the right conditions. I use it to communicate with large groups while out in the desert or mountains without a problem which is to say you don't need a real tall antenna to communicate effectively.

Key to the antenna and CB radio working properly is getting the antenna properly mounted and tuned, with tuning meaning you adjust its length to produce the most power output. The above illustration shows where to remove the powder coating if your mount has it, the lower part of the antenna mount labeled SO-239 Coax Connector must have a good bare metal connection to the mounting bracket. It's especially important the mount shown above be assembled EXACTLY as shown, particularly that the Insulated Shoulder Washer must be placed where shown and it must be seated and centered in the hole. If not the antenna will be shorted to ground and it won't work.

Tuning the antenna is easily done with a $20 SWR meter like you can find on Amazon. Basically you're using the meter to adjust the antenna length to maximize how much power it will transmit with. Like this one... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KRME3C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: qslim
X2 to all the above. A Uniden Pro-520xl radio is a great choice, they were only $44 or so at Amazon the last time I checked. My personal choice for an antenna is a FIrestick FS-2 or FS-3, with the number indicating its height in feet. The top of my FS-2 antenna is rooftop height with it mounted at tail light height. Even my 2' antenna works well and covers for miles in the right conditions. I use it to communicate with large groups while out in the desert or mountains without a problem which is to say you don't need a real tall antenna to communicate effectively.

Key to the antenna and CB radio working properly is getting the antenna properly mounted and tuned, with tuning meaning you adjust its length to produce the most power output. The above illustration shows where to remove the powder coating if your mount has it, the lower part of the antenna mount labeled SO-239 Coax Connector must have a good bare metal connection to the mounting bracket. It's especially important the mount shown above be assembled EXACTLY as shown, particularly that the Insulated Shoulder Washer must be placed where shown and it must be seated and centered in the hole. If not the antenna will be shorted to ground and it won't work.

Tuning the antenna is easily done with a $20 SWR meter like you can find on Amazon. Basically you're using the meter to adjust the antenna length to maximize how much power it will transmit with. Like this one... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KRME3C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hey Jerry I recently saw a photo of that mount you have... Was that a local fab or did you purchase it somewhere? I screwed up and mounted my CB on the far left of the dash which was incredibly stupid (being that I run all summer with no doors), I'd like to relocate it up above the rearview like yours

Hey Jerry I recently saw a photo of that mount you have... Was that a local fab or did you purchase it somewhere? I screwed up and mounted my CB on the far left of the dash which was incredibly stupid (being that I run all summer with no doors), I'd like to relocate it up above the rearview like yours
I'm using the Arizona Rocky Road mount which requires no drilling... it's a really nice mount that even hides the wiring inside. Here you go... http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/radiomounts.html

Solid, so it looks like it screws into the existing roll bar threads? Does it fit between the roll bar and the soft top door surrounds?
Its mounting bolts thread into the front bolt hole in the horizontal rollbars over the front window opening. It doesn't matter if you have the door surrounds for a soft top installed or not, it's happy either way.