What I'm considering with the new to me TJ

JakeQ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Its already on 31s, already got the head unit, amp upgraded bar speakers I would have done, and some sliders. So all in all, I got a bargain for 12k. I bought a sub box, and now I need a stubby winch bumper and winch. My question is this: Should I upgrade the axles and get lockers now? With a winch and lockers it will be fairly ready, and I can do a lift and tires in the coming years. Or: Leave it unlocked, leave the stock axles and go lift?

I feel like I'm better setting myself up with just the 31s it has and new axles with lockers over just lifting it now.

2004 Sport, 81k miles, 4.0L manual on 31s.
IMG_20190518_124703.jpg

Reactions: Head Lice
Imo, I would do a lift and recovery gear. Your stock axles will be fine for 31s. What's your end tire size goal?
I'm crap offroad with the manual. I would feel more comfortable not fighting obstacles as much with lockers is my reasoning. The recovery gear is the first major mod, I do have my head on straight. I've just been really fighting with whats next. More ground clearance and have to learn to finesse the trail, or locked axles and brute force through it with a lower Jeep.

I'm crap offroad with the manual. I would feel more comfortable not fighting obstacles as much with lockers is my reasoning. The recovery gear is the first major mod, I do have my head on straight. I've just been really fighting with whats next. More ground clearance and have to learn to finesse the trail, or locked axles and brute force through it with a lower Jeep.
Practice will fix that also look into a hand throttle.

If your end goal of tires is 35s then that's a different route than to stop at 31s or 32s. Fighting with obstacles is part of the fun! With a lift and winch you can get through being stuck. After winch and lift I would then increase tire size and gearing/lockers. No sense in regearing for 32s now if you're going to 35s later.

Reactions: AndyG
Practice will fix that also look into a hand throttle.

If your end goal of tires is 35s then that's a different route than to stop at 31s or 32s. Fighting with obstacles is part of the fun! With a lift and winch you can get through being stuck. After winch and lift I would then increase tire size and gearing/lockers. No sense in regearing for 32s now if you're going to 35s later.
From what I've seen TJs on 33s looking like, thats as far as I'm going

Reactions: billiebob
That looks just right to me. Don't know when I will get there but thats a good balance for trails and daily. I don't do rock climbs, just moderate trails and back country that gets me to good scenery.
Depending on your budget, that's the big thing. If you just want to enjoy and have fun for a year you can easily pop on a 2" lift, flex those 31s, new shocks, bumpers and recovery gear and you can enjoy lots of trails. Then when ready move to 3 or 4" lift, gearing for 33s, tires, lockers like you want, and then slip yoke eliminater and new driveshaft to correct your driveline angle in conjunction with your adjustable control arms.

Front is a Dana 30, rear Dana 44. Good combo that will work well for you. Wheel it as is for a while and hone your skillz. Lockers are great and all, but you'd be better off waiting till you hit your end goal with tires to re-gear and do the lockers at the same time to save some labor cost. I started out on 31's with a 2.5" lift, then worked my way to 32'a, then finally 33's and a re-gear.

Front is a Dana 30, rear Dana 44. Good combo that will work well for you. Wheel it as is for a while and hone your skillz. Lockers are great and all, but you'd be better off waiting till you hit your end goal with tires to re-gear and do the lockers at the same time to save some labor cost. I started out on 31's with a 2.5" lift, then worked my way to 32'a, then finally 33's and a re-gear.
Thanks. I am considering a lift, but I want more expensive shocks, like Ranchos, and I want sway bar disconnects.

I found this while VIN decoding my Jeep, Anti Spin, is that a limited slip? It really felt sure footed out on the trail the other day.
All Manual; DDD: Transmission - 5-Speed HD Manual; DHN: Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System; DJJ: Axle - Front, Dana 30/186MM; DME: Axle Ratio - 3.73; DRK: Axle - Rear, Dana 44/226MM; DSA: Axle - Anti-Spin Differential; ERH: Engine - 4.0L Power Tech I-6

If it's the Trac-lok, at 81k miles the clutch packs are probably worn out, so it's essentially open at this point. Might help a little for slippery on-road conditions but basically useless on the trail.

If I were to build a Colorado sleeper Jeep, it would start with raising the center skid and gas tank skid as high as they will go. For 31s, a 1" spring lift and a small body lift. Maximize the shock travels. Front Antirock. Lockers and a winch. After that I would look at raising the side body mounts and the rear frame/bumper to eliminate the body lift spacers. Possibly the GenRight mini boatside sliders.

People would be very surprised and few would understand.

Last edited:
If I were to build a Colorado sleeper Jeep, it would start with raising the center skid and gas tank skid as high as they will go. For 31s, a 1" spring lift and a small body lift. Maximize the shock travels. Front Antirock. Lockers and a winch. After that I would look at raising the side body mounts and the rear frame/bumper to eliminate the body lift spacers. Possibly the GenRight mini boatside sliders.

I found an OME 2" for 900. I'm buying a stubby front and winch soon.

If we only knew back then what we know now. X2 on this, cept I might opt for a 2" spring only because it looks more pleasing to me.