What I'm considering with the new to me TJ

If we only knew back then what we know now. X2 on this, cept I might opt for a 2" spring only because it looks more pleasing to me.
I'm strongly considering a 2" spring lift and sway disconnect right now. Trying to go into this frugally, bang for buck soft of approach.

Reactions: bobthetj03
What is included in the OME 2"?
@JakeQ , this information is very important. As an owner of an OME lift, who paid about that for it, I would caution you that you can do a lot more for the money by piecing the lift together with springs and shocks, which is basically what my OME lift was. The springs are fine, but a lot of TJ owners have found that the Rancho RS5000X shocks are superior to the OME Sport shocks, and are about half the cost. So if you could let us know what is included in that $900, it would be helpful.

I found an OME 2" for 900. I'm buying a stubby front and winch soon.

Just be a little careful taking some of the advice that's given. Some of these guys will have you breaking out the grinder and welder when you don't have to.

From what your usage is, 31's an OME lift, disconnects and some body protection would be more than enough. Go out enjoy the Jeep and learn how to drive it. Then decide if you want to go further.

The biggest gain you'll get is you and your ability to read terrrain and pick lines based on how well you know your TJ. Practise throttle control and as you have a manual stuff like stall and recovery techniques.

Reactions: pagrey and JakeQ
Just be a little careful taking some of the advice that's given. Some of these guys will have you breaking out the grinder and welder when you don't have to.

Perhaps. But long before Jake is allowed to build my Colorado sleeper Jeep, I will encourage him to learn about bump stops and cycling the axles to get the most out of his suspension. ;)

Reactions: JakeQ
Looks like the OME kit is springs, perches, shocks, a steering stabilizer and some mounting hardware. If any of you know where I can buy just pieces for less I would appreciate that.

The specific coils are important to know. OME has several 2" coils that can range from 1-3" of lift. And the amount of lift is ultimately determined by the Jeep's weight.

My very first lift was used OME. It had the light duty coils which didn't do very much on that early build.

I feel like I'm better setting myself up with just the 31s it has and new axles with lockers over just lifting it now.
Nothing wrong with31s. I'm not sure of the need for new axles if you never go bigger than 33s but I'd do lockers before a winch. You will not believe what lockers can do. And nothing wrong with 3.73s. I do mostly highway, forestry roads, logging trails and cross country to the beach. My TJR has 4.10s but with 33s, I wish it had 3.73s.

Reactions: JakeQ and jjvw
To add to that, pick up a stack of washers and some longer TC skid plate bolts just in case you get drive line vibes after the lift and need to lower the skid a bit. It's a temporary fix until you find out or not. Every jeep is different. Some can lift 2" and get no vibes while others get them.

Your front axle will be off center just a little bit, but won't hurt anything unless your OCD kicks in, so a adjustable front track bar could be on your short list.

Reactions: JakeQ
Even with the front adjustable track bar added you're still less than $900 all in and have way more than just springs and shocks. Now go wear out those 31's!

Reactions: JakeQ and jjvw
Your Jeep as-is out-drives you. You don't need to buy any of this stuff. Learn to air down and go wheeling. I drove 50,000 miles before I did anything to mine. It's all money down the drain, save it for gas. After a few years of wheeling and having fun you'll know what direction you want to go and wont build the Jeep five times over.

Recovery gear - yes.
Fire extinguisher - yes.
Air compressor or a way to air up your tires - yes.
Lift - no.
Winch - no.
Disconnects (or any expensive sway bar thing) - no.

Your Jeep as-is out-drives you. You don't need to buy any of this stuff. Learn to air down and go wheeling. I drove 50,000 miles before I did anything to mine. It's all money down the drain, save it for gas. After a few years of wheeling and having fun you'll know what direction you want to go and wont build the Jeep five times over.

Recovery gear - yes.
Fire extinguisher - yes.
Air compressor or a way to air up your tires - yes.
Lift - no.
Winch - no.
Disconnects (or any expensive sway bar thing) - no.
The bumper and winch are non negotiable. If I get stuck out on the trail by my myself I will be thankful I have it.

Reactions: jjvw
I would suggest getting the 2” lift and lunchbox locker ($300) for the front and it will take you a lot of places for not a lot of coin.

Reactions: jjvw
On a side note, is the rear OME 2942 springs usually $83? Or is that a price I should be jumping on?