What is a reasonable price for used Dana HP30?

tykesplace

TJ Enthusiast
I found a hp30 for $150 obo. I think it's from an XJ. I'm waiting on the build tag to confirm what it's from.

I'm thinking of offering $100. It's complete rotor to rotor. Not sure that matters much since I would rebuild, re-gear, and truss it anyway.

It would be a 225 mile round trip to pick it up.

Assuming it's not bent or otherwise damaged, is $100 a reasonable price?

What kind of damage or faults should I be looking for? How can I tell if it's slightly bent?

Are the CV joints an issue, or would they get replaced with the axles anyway?

I'm just trying to make sure this is worth buying and building, or if it's a pass.

58375492_1144808179032876_6983285230345912320_n.jpg

$150 seems high.

I paid $200 for two HPd30s, a set of shafts, knuckles, and a few brake calipers. I sold one a beaten housing a couple weeks ago for $50 (though I wanted it out of my garage), saw another one on a local for sale page that sold for $75. See if he bites at $100, otherwise I would pass.

Reactions: tykesplace
$150 seems high.

I paid $200 for two HPd30s, a set of shafts, knuckles, and a few brake calipers. I sold one a beaten housing a couple weeks ago for $50 (though I wanted it out of my garage), saw another one on a local for sale page that sold for $75. See if he bites at $100, otherwise I would pass.

Thanks. If it’s a good fit maybe I’ll offer $75. I have to consider the round trip miles too.

If it’s a truly a HP Dana 30 from an XJ, it will be bolt on affair. I have one from an XJ and it’s a direct replacement. Not sure of the ZJ fitment, but $100 isn’t a bad price.

I still don't have the build tag, but the seller confirms it's HP.

I've been doing some more research. I think the cv joints mean it's from a ZJ.

And from I've read, the ZJ front axle is a bolt in. HP front axle is one of the things I've been hunting for in a donor ZJ to also get a 5.2 or 5.9.

With my luck I'll buy this axle and THEN find a screaming deal on a wrecked ZJ with really low miles and a strong engine. 😁

I still don't have the build tag, but the seller confirms it's HP.

I've been doing some more research. I think the cv joints mean it's from a ZJ.

And from I've read, the ZJ front axle is a bolt in. HP front axle is one of the things I've been hunting for in a donor ZJ to also get a 5.2 or 5.9.

I think ZJs never had HP axles, that's why nobody ever says go to a junkyard and look for a ZJ HP30, they always say get an XJ axle. Just don't buy unless you are looking at it. No point in debating facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: astjp2