What is involved in changing rear drum brakes to disc brakes?

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m pondering the idea of upgrading my brakes on the tj. I’ve got discs in the front and drums in that back and am curious to what is involved with upgrading especially if I were to change to all four disc. I read about the black magic brakes in threads and seems to me like they will be the way to go once I get the money if I decide to upgrade. (Stock jeep with bfg 30s)

I’m pondering the idea of upgrading my brakes on the tj. I’ve got discs in the front and drums in that back and am curious to what is involved with upgrading especially if I were to change to all four disc. I read about the black magic brakes in threads and seems to me like they will be the way to go once I get the money if I decide to upgrade. (Stock jeep with bfg 30s)
Echoing @xxdabroxx BMB pads and rotors would be a good combo for a stock TJ/LJ. Look into the break in, the break in of the pads is the key to making them work best.

“Upgrading” the rear drums to disc will come out to a long argument, bottom line, it wont do much as in the performance of your rear brakes. It does make inspection and replacement a bit easier which is the only real plus.

Reactions: JMT and KCsTJ
Echoing @xxdabroxx BMB pads and rotors would be a good combo for a stock TJ/LJ. Look into the break in, the break in of the pads is the key to making them work best.

“Upgrading” the rear drums to disc will come out to a long argument, bottom line, it wont do much as in the performance of your rear brakes. It does make inspection and replacement a bit easier which is the only real plus.
Good to know. I do not see a reason to get discs over drums if that is the case then.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Mirroring your sentiments almost exactly, I only swap to rear discs because the maintenance is far easier and they are actually self adjusting. Never to get better braking.

After regearing to 4.88, I'm experiencing more pedal pressure to keep 'ol red from jumpin the stable...(Tryin a little ranch humor here, since the damn cows are takin over my place)..Anywho...Notice on reverse, mainly..I'm putting this Jeep together for my excuse not to spend $20000 for a side-x-side and, she doesn't see any highway use, so high rpms aren't really an issue...

Is anyone aware of a DIY for the ZJ disc conversion? I have Dana 44 and I need to do my drums, and i think i'd do the conversion just for future simplicity of maintenance. Plus there is a junk yard close by so i should be able to find a few Grand Cherokees no problem. A link would be fantastic.

Mirroring your sentiments almost exactly, I only swap to rear discs because the maintenance is far easier and they are actually self adjusting. Never to get better braking.
Looking for brake upgrades for a stock TJ with Front Disc and Drum brakes...What is your recommendation? Thanks