What is recommended for transmission / differential fluids?

Grey_Machine7.3

Acts like a mechanic
Supporting Member
I realize there are going to be some opinionated responses. I'm just having trouble actually picking a brand. Manual calls for Mopar 80w90 I think for diff oil on the Dana 35&Dana 30. Not sure about the trans oil (5spd manual)
I'm running 0w-30 mobile 1 synthetic high mileage in the 4.0. I think it's had conventional oil since before I owned it, I flushed the oil system with 5quarts before filling it (happened on accident).
Do y'all have any complaints with diff oil you've used in the past, or recommendations on what you feel is the best for your tj.

This thread has fluid capacities and recommended fluids:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-fluid-capacities.195/
Of course opinions will vary, but you already know that.
Ty Chris. Although when I click the link for 75w140 it takes me to some 80w90 xD some Lucas I already had in my Amazon cart xD

I was thinking about redline for my trans, that's what I run in my Toyotas. Has anyone used amsoil for their diffs? It's usually kind of pricey, but is it worth it?

Reactions: Chris
I always recommend conventional GL-5 gear lubes for the axles, the gears are proven to stay cooler with conventional gear lubes than they do with synthetics. Really. The exact viscosity is not all that important. 80W-90, 75W-90, 80W-120, etc. are all fine. I personally use Valvoline but the brand is not important either so long as it's a major brand or a brand produced by a major producer. Castrol, Pennzoil, Torco, Mobil, Havoline, NAPA (made by Valvoline), etc. are all very high quality lubes and you'd be as good with any of those as with any other major brand.

For your NV3550 transmission it's hard to beat Redline MTL which is a full synthetic. Synthetic makes sense in many environments, just not all of them. :)

Reactions: bobthetj03
Older thread but I felt it was appropriate to put my question here instead of starting a new thread.
The automatic transmission and TC use ATF+4.
I'm questioning a product...
Lucas ATF SEMI SYNTHETIC, It say on the bottle, "Meets or exceeds Dexron lll, Mercon V and ATF+4"
Can it be used my LJ?
Thanks

Lucas ATF SEMI SYNTHETIC, It say on the bottle, "Meets or exceeds Dexron lll, Mercon V and ATF+4"
Can it be used my LJ?

Can it be used? Sure, but it seems to be a more universal product and may have undesired effects. I suggest sticking with a name brand ATF+4. I prefer Valvoline products.

It says ATF.
BUT it says it meets or exceeds ATF+4
There has been a shortage of ATF+4 in my area. I've always heard good things about Lucas products.

The TC won't care.

From what I've heard the AT should only get ATF+4, but I have no personal experience as mine are MTs.

Walmart usually has licensed ATF+4 on the shelf.