What is the best 16 inch tire size for my 97 TJ 4-cylinder?

Bowen77

I just got a 1997 automatic 4 banger. It has 16 rims on it. Currently 245/70/16
I’m a realist and realize I’ll never get a speeding ticket but what is the best size 16 for a recreational Jeep.

B2FC3AD3-924D-4965-8B9C-01080A508563.jpeg

B83F237A-0EF5-44ED-B06B-7E4B7E38C15B.jpeg

I had a 2001 4 banger, now I have a 2004 4 banger, I know they get a bad rap but I've liked them. I got new rims, and 30x9.50R15 tires. I'm waiting until I put on a bunch of stuff on my Jeep this winter, like new front fenders that I had powder coated. The garage is almost ready to start the projects.

You'll have a ball with your Jeep, and you can get a lot of advice here.

Search for username billibob, he runs a very skinny tire with excellent results.

In all honesty, I would trade those Rubicon rims for something a bit lighter and 15” diameter since most 16” tires are heavier than 15”.

Very true, especially since it’s a 4 cylinder.
The 4 cylinder is definitely no speed demon, but I drove one with a 5 speed on the stock size (225's or 235's maybe?) and it wasn't that bad. I mean it wasn't quick but it was adequate and I didn't feel like it was dangerously underpowered like some vehicles.

Reactions: Blondie70
Are you willing to put in money on a regear and maybe a lift? If not, stick close to what you have.

If you're willing to regear to 4.56, you could go with 285/75R16, which is roughly ~32.8x11.2. I wouldn't go any larger than that personally. You would need at least 3", ideally 4" of lift for that tire size.

Reactions: jeepguy03
The 4 cylinder is definitely no speed demon, but I drove one with a 5 speed on the stock size (225's or 235's maybe?) and it wasn't that bad. I mean it wasn't quick but it was adequate and I didn't feel like it was dangerously underpowered like some vehicles.

I used to own a 4 banger. With stock tires it was great in the city. On the highway was another story. It could barely maintain highway speeds and certainly couldn’t pass anyone on the highway. It was a miserable experience on the highway 😆

Reactions: jeepguy03
I've got a 98 TJ with the 2.5/five-speed. 3.5" RE lift, swapped-in Dana 44 rear. 285/75/16" (33") tires.

I think 285/75/16" tires are a perfect size for a four-cylinder TJ. Not too tall and not too wide.

You want to regear it to at least 4.88 gears. That's what I did (back in 2008), and it gets you back to the factory powerband so not only can you use 5th gear again, it helps you out starting out in first gear. 4.56 ain't going to do it for 33" tires. Don't be afraid to go low if going with 33" tires.

If I had to do it over again (I don't remember if it was an option at the time), I'd strongly consider 5.13 gears. I pull a little trailer sometimes, and that extra low gearing would come in handy when taking off from a stop with the trailer.

If you're running the factory Dana 35 rear, I'm not sure how low you can go with it.

Jeep TJ in the rain (2).jpg

TAT.2.png