What is the best affordable muffler to put on my TJ?

I have the magnaflow 10415 sounds great it doesn't sound like a cherry-bomb or the cheaper mufflers its got a deeper tone

are you replacing it for kicks/sound? or is the old one rusted out? A thrush muffler can be about 40-60 bucks.
That's exactly the one I was going to recommend. I had one on my previous TJ and it had a good sound. The first Thrush my shop installed was a bit too loud so they replaced it with another Thrush that was a bit larger and it was quiet enough to make me happy.

Reactions: Moon Eyes and Vasq
My stock/original muffler has been loosing it's skin for at lest a year and I don't know how much longer it will keep doing it's job.

Which Thrush Muffler is considered the bestest Thrush Muffler for the 4.0?

I just went to the thrushexhaust.com website and here's their options:

Hush Thrush -Fiberglass matting for better sound control

Thrush Turbo -Tri-flow design provides that Thrush® classic sound

Thrush Welded -No sound related description.

Each of them have a "play" button to hear them on a 2010 Camaro but I guess my speakers aren't good enough to show much difference. Is the main difference the sound quality, the volume or both? Maybe the main difference how they actually work?

I doubt we're looking for these two, at least I'm not:

Thrush Rattler -Single chamber design for very aggressive tone

Thrush Glasspack -Straight-through design for maximum flow and power

I started with the thrush welded and for me, it was too loud. It rumbles and sounds good, but it's just too noisy to me. Moved to the thrush hush after that and I love it, fun but quiet idle-1k rpm, then gets quiet and all you hear is the tractor engine whirring between 1.5-3k rpm, then it gets a little rowdy when you come up past 3k rpm, which is right around when i shift.

so the hush thrush would be my recommendation.

although i did have a dynoflow* turbo muffler before the thrush era and i loved the way it sounded. would've kept it if i could. so the thrush turbo might be nice too?

You can't go wrong with the turbo or the hush. Keep in mind they are both less than 17" overall so you might have to add a little to your tailpipe.

Last edited:
After years of a 40 series Flowmaster, I put on a Walker quite flow stainless, nice stock sound for about 60.00. I guess im getting old, loud exhaust is just annoying to me now lol

Reactions: Irun