What is the best coil spring for my usage?

CooperZooper

My Tj's rear passenger coil spring is sagging pretty badly so I figure it's time I get new coil springs and just get all of them replaced since they all are probably worn and ready to retire.

I use it on road as my daily driver and when needed I tow trailers of wood. so it's mostly used on road but of course, I love taking it off the roads when I can.
It's at stock height and I just replaced the shocks in November over to some ranchos which I'm loving.

my question is what should I do?
There are so many options I figured I should get some opinions or advice on the matter. I saw some people remedy their sagging springs with a spacer, however, I figured I should get some coil springs. But there are so many brands I don't know which ones are trustworthy or best for my usage. Would it be worth going ahead and lifting my jeep since I need new coil springs? Or just get some quality stock height coils?

Im currently Looking at some Moog coil springs (front & rear) but I saw it would be a bit more to get a 2.5" rough country lift kit.
should I worry about having heavy duty coils or does it not matter all that much?

I'd also like to level it out but I figure I can find out how to do that in another discussion or on Youtube.

any advice would be more than appreciated!

IMG_20170419_014629.jpg

Anything but rough country....they will sag.everything about that brand is garbage.

I recommend OME. Maybe zone offroad or jks?

If you lift more than an inch or so it'll be a can of worms that snowballs into a bunch of parts.12" and 8" is stock compressed spring height.

You'll need to replace your shocks again at 2.5" lift. Never go by the lift range the shock company says. It needs to be measured.

You need to do a lot of research on what it takes to lift a tj.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Howdy
•Make sure it’s the coil spring sagging, and not “natural chrome” , speak rusty frame rail sagging !!!
• I’m not trying to be smartsholic
lol

• our LJ is supported by old man emu shocks , but I have never checked if they supply coil springs
• keep us posted, I’ll be looking for heavier springs too in the front though , since my “Spark plug delete” ads another 160 kg xtra

🚧DETOUR👋🏿🚧

Interesting! I shall definitely look up the shock measuring to see how that works. seems I have a bit more research to do before I lift my jeep.
Sucks that rough country is no good though, their products are nearly everywhere from what I've seen.

As for the frame rail, last I checked it didn't look to have any rust but il take a look at it later when I have more daylight.
The only places I have/had bad rust is on the tub but I cut it out and painted it so it wouldn't spread too easily, and the common spots on the fenders where water gets caught which I haven't treated yet cause it's pretty small and not too scary.

it also seems like OME does make coil springs however their site is a headache to navigate so if they sell just the springs I can't say. it looks like they have a heavy and light load kit and it has the part# but no way to buy it from the site which is a bit annoying that they want you to visit a dealer.
I will definitely come back if I find anything new or interesting.

Ohh and thanks for the warm welcome!

@CooperZooper since you've just replaced shocks best way is to go between the 0 and 2 inches range of lift. With that range you'll be safe and pretty good in: articulation, suspension geometry, transmission elements angles and so on (brake lines, transfer case linkage..).

Springs could affect your ride quality on a normal car but it's the shock the only one who really improves or worsens your comfort on a TJ.
So measure or check twice the height before buying, in order to keep your new shocks and to keep them working properly too.
Usually OME, Ranchos, Teraflex, Currie and also ProComp are really great for springs purposes.

Of course, there's also the easy and cheap option.. going with coil springs spacers.

Be sure to have a quality shock or upgrade with a stiffer one since you trail.. from a quality brand and personal experience, you can trust the HDuty Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks, really love them ;);)

You've already got some suggestions on springs from others, so I'm just gonna say 1 thing:

I wanna pet your dog! He/she is super cute. Great profile pic, man.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo Altarocca
Definitely avoid Rough Country. If you are happy with your Jeep as it currently sits just go with the Moog springs. You can use some small spacers up front if you want to level it out.
If you decide on a 2 inch lift then Old Man Emu is excellent. They sell a light or heavy spring. You can use either or a combination depending on your Jeeps weight. A lift will require some more work and parts. At minimum you would need new shocks, appropriate bump stops, and a rear track bar bracket. The front track bar can be moved by drilling a new hole in the mount but an adjustable would be better. Even with a smaller lift you could run into vibrations from the rear driveshaft. Each Jeep seems to be a little different in regards to that. Some people have no problems and others do. A motor mount lift or transfer case drop could help with the issue should it arise.

Reactions: Lorenzo Altarocca
My Tj's rear passenger coil spring is sagging pretty badly so I figure it's time I get new coil springs and just get all of them replaced since they all are probably worn and ready to retire.

I use it on road as my daily driver and when needed I tow trailers of wood. so it's mostly used on road but of course, I love taking it off the roads when I can.
It's at stock height and I just replaced the shocks in November over to some ranchos which I'm loving.

my question is what should I do?
There are so many options I figured I should get some opinions or advice on the matter. I saw some people remedy their sagging springs with a spacer, however, I figured I should get some coil springs. But there are so many brands I don't know which ones are trustworthy or best for my usage. Would it be worth going ahead and lifting my jeep since I need new coil springs? Or just get some quality stock height coils?

Im currently Looking at some Moog coil springs (front & rear) but I saw it would be a bit more to get a 2.5" rough country lift kit.
should I worry about having heavy duty coils or does it not matter all that much?

I'd also like to level it out but I figure I can find out how to do that in another discussion or on Youtube.

any advice would be more than appreciated!

All the spring does is hold the Jeep up. Get the springs that give you the amount of lift you want.

Use spacers to level the Jeep

Well after some inspecting it does seem that I have some ugly looking rust. thankfully it's not the frame but just the bracket. this looks mild compared to what I've seen in pictures or videos but it still doesn't look good either.

It doesn't look like the cause of the sagging but think It's worth taking it to someone who will be able to tell me how bad it is exactly and if I need to weld a new one on. If it's not as bad as it looks then I will probably end up getting some springs but not before I know how bad it really is.

Thank you guys so much for all the recommendations and advice I really appreciate it all. you've given me a lot to look at and think over.

Il be back once I get it checked out and share the results!

Screenshot_20230320-215955_Video_Editor.jpg

You've already got some suggestions on springs from others, so I'm just gonna say 1 thing:

I wanna pet your dog! He/she is super cute. Great profile pic, man.

Thank you, her name is Bella, and I'm not sure what mix she is but it's a Pit mixed with an oversized lap dog.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Well after some inspecting it does seem that I have some ugly looking rust. thankfully it's not the frame but just the bracket. this looks mild compared to what I've seen in pictures or videos but it still doesn't look good either.

It doesn't look like the cause of the sagging but think It's worth taking it to someone who will be able to tell me how bad it is exactly and if I need to weld a new one on. If it's not as bad as it looks then I will probably end up getting some springs but not before I know how bad it really is.

Thank you guys so much for all the recommendations and advice I really appreciate it all. you've given me a lot to look at and think over.

Il be back once I get it checked out and share the results!

View attachment 409043

This photo would make me very nervous about the rest of the frame.

the only other place I know where rust is on the frame currently is where the skid plate mounts. I wire brushed it to get what I could off but I admit I was in a rush and need to go back and prevent it from getting worse. It's not as bad as what's on the coil plate thankfully but It's still rust.

I'm going to see if I can find any new rust spots so I can remedy them.

if you go with ome springs look up dirk at dpg offroad. he’s very knowledgeable on the ome stuff.

If you decide on a 2 inch lift then Old Man Emu is excellent. They sell a light or heavy spring. You can use either or a combination depending on your Jeeps weight.

Just some information - my Jeep had OME springs and a soft top when I got it. After installing a hard top, the rear sagged a bit so I got a new set of rear springs (same part number, which was the standard duty spring). The rear sagged with those, too. So I bought a set of HD rear springs and it has been fine for 15 years now.

the only other place I know where rust is on the frame currently is where the skid plate mounts. I wire brushed it to get what I could off but I admit I was in a rush and need to go back and prevent it from getting worse. It's not as bad as what's on the coil plate thankfully but It's still rust.

I'm going to see if I can find any new rust spots so I can remedy them.

Unfortunately it grows from the inside of the frame out. An inspection camera will give you a better idea. The bottom of the frame in the center likes to rot out. Probably time to start doing some kind of rust treatments

alrighty I got it checked out by my old friend who runs his own shop and he said it isn't anything to worry about. He does a lot of body and frame work on older cars so I trust its alright.

I'm going to go ahead and do some more searching for some springs with the amount of lift I want. I'm going to keep a close eye on the rust spot to see if it gets worse and see if I can find someone to look inside the frame.

Reactions: Rickyd
Sounds like the stock height is good for you? Go with moog, anything else will just lead you down the path of poverty 😉- the slippery slope of modified.

but if you do,
  1. maybe just a moog spring and 1” spacer- gives you a little something-something
  2. 2” spring lift might be able to run the shocks you got
  3. 2..5” JKS ( what I have) but you might need shocks and your heading down the slippery slope
  4. run the stock springs and some airbags to help with your towing…
just throwing out some thoughts

yea I'm thinking of going with Moog for now and maybe getting some spacers till I decide to lift it further.

I haven't considered airbags yet but they sound like they might work for me after looking up some videos.

I run Air Lift 1000 kit #60811 red balloons in mine to give it a boost when pulling a trailer. The other 99% of the time I don't notice them at all. I still get full articulation of the rear axle with the minimum 5 PSI in the system. If you need air bags, these work well for me.