What is the best headlight for the money?

I refuse to run plastic headlites - the H4 Hellas are "da bomb" and are GLASS. Like others here, I'm running the BeamTech LEDs in them, and I think they're fantastic - although one can certainly run conventional halogens in them as that's what they (Hella) were designed for.

Now its quite possible that some of the higher end plastic headlites are actually better than this setup - but compared to anything else I personally have experienced, its no contest whatsoever. I've been running Hella H4 conversions with halogens in the old Mercedes for 20+ years now, and need to figure out how to make the BeamTechs work on that car (back clearance issues).

Is anyone running the Q tech LEDs? Seem like those would be in your price range and look stock if you buy the stealth ones.

Just remembered...

I used to have hella ecodes and I couldn’t tell much of a difference over the $8 Sylvanias except that the Hellas didn’t fit securely had a tendency to jiggle around. Maybe I did something wrong during the install? Also, the lens was too flat and I thought it looked funny.

Hella is a really great company (oem supplier) and makes high quality parts but I would not recommend their ecodes for a TJ.
Must've done something wrong on install. They fit securely and very well. Not sure why a flatter lens is a downside, I think it looks much better.

Reactions: Zorba
Must've done something wrong on install. They fit securely and very well. Not sure why a flatter lens is a downside, I think it looks much better.
Its flatter, but still slightly domed:

Hella:
13.jpg

Sealed Beam:
14.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Tob and fuse
Is anyone running the Q tech LEDs? Seem like those would be in your price range and look stock if you buy the stealth ones.
Even the stealth I googled didn't look near stock up close ..so here's what I'm up to..

Got Hellas coming and some online glass version of the rampage and Beamtech LEDs and the adapter they said was needed...I like both looks so it will be fun to see how they both look on the Jeep...I do lean toward stock generally.

It seems the housing and led world gets down to this ...not all housings are compatible with LEDs as far as directing the light, good cut off and not overpowering oncoming cars.

The hella /led combo is a known, and the only place I'm out in left field is not.getting the exact Rampage housing because I couldn't cancel fast enough...but I know what to get if I these are junk, so I should be fine and can return reorder. Too many boxes showing up that don't say Etsy causes my wife concern.

Part of me doesn't want to go extremely high end for several reasons-

500+ plus for bulbs is territory I've never been to...hard to get my mind around it....of course having 30k in one of these and another one to sitting under a car cover for a hobby when I'm not working on my hobby probably isn't a sign of genius either.

I have 5 aux lights ...plus 2 driving lights if I need more than the lesser cost upgrade gives

Lastly, I really like the stock light...the TJ is too far out of production for some aftermarket lights to look right. It's like aftermarket wheels on a Corvette...it seldom works aesthetically.

My stock lights do the job, but like the 4.0, I don't want any less, and it isn't a good light tone. I've likely grown used to halogen and LEDs since my other vehicles are newer.

Halogen doesn't bother me as a category...I'm jus trying to limit my search, and going with popular opinion.

Thanks đź‘Ť

I'm so glad my cheapo $40 LED driving lights are sooooo bright. Headlights are a non issue for me now. People high beam me with my headlights off.:cool:

p.s. My $50 Amazon cheapo headlights put out twice the light of the "dim candle power" stock ones.

I feel almost apologetic to post this... I know we have the sticky...but the headlight market seems to be evolving so fast and when I look online my brain just melts.

Would it be possible to categorize aftermarket headlights this way for me...

What is a truly significant upgrade from stock with a stock appearance for under $150.... The combination of bulbs and housings is endless... And many housings are not made for the power of an LED and you end up with cut off issues or simply too much light or other things I think

What is the best value around 150-$300

What is the best light....period

I like the idea of a housing that looks stock and being able to run into the parts store and get a bulb...

And I don't mind going clear..

I'm also confused about the advantages of polycarbonate versus glass.

Thanks I know I've started a similar thread before but I'm trying to break it down a little bit... I don't want to overthink it.

I know I don't want anything garish or it looks like it's all black or a flies eyes... and I would like to see significantly better output than stock.

First, I went with the

HELLA 002395801 Vision Plus 165mm 12V High/Low Beam Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit (H4 ECE)​

with

Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs (Pack of 2) (H4 60/55W)​

and the Jeep Wrangler Relay’s that boost output.

They were phenomenal.

Then I had to cut my fenders due to folding one over, and put on the MCE fenders. That eliminated my side marker and turn signal. Rather than drill the grill, I decided to get a headlight that had an optional turn signal built into the headlamp. This one by Octane Lighting with the Philips X-Treme Vision +130% headlight bulbis just as good. I really like that they are a normal, very clear headlight, but the turn signal uses the outer halo. It’s the only time you see it. Pretty cool!

https://www.octanelighting.com/kit7...signal-he-pair-7705-and-4455-60w-clear-5.html

Last edited:
I have had the Trucklites and Amazon knock offs. They are both infinitely better than stock. In the end I didnt like the color or the appearance so I am now running Hella E codes.

I have JW knock offs I bought off Amazon. They were great for 3 months, then one shit the bed.

I am now in the market for another set, but with so many out there it is a little confusing as to what is a good mid expense LED head lamp.

I believe just about every manufacturer uses Cree, so How can you screw up a bulb right? And.... they are probably all made in the same Chinese factory.

First, I went with the

HELLA 002395801 Vision Plus 165mm 12V High/Low Beam Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit (H4 ECE)​

with

Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs (Pack of 2) (H4 60/55W)​

and the Jeep Wrangler Relay’s that boost output.

They were phenomenal.

Then I had to cut my fenders due to folding one over, and put on the MCE fenders. That eliminated my side marker and turn signal. Rather than drill the grill, I decided to get a headlight that had an optional turn signal built into the headlamp. This one by Octane Lighting with the Philips X-Treme Vision +130% headlight bumps is just as good. I really like that they are a normal, very clear headlight, but the turn signal uses the outer halo. It’s the only time you see it. Pretty cool!

https://www.octanelighting.com/kit7...signal-he-pair-7705-and-4455-60w-clear-5.html
I agree 100% and that is a great way to get it done... That just proves that a guy can be resourceful and make it happen.

As much as I love a TJ I could live without those turn signals in the front fenders.

Reactions: lowranger and Tob