What is the best replacement soft top for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Crap man ! I bought my 04 used with the hard top. Mine doesn’t have those holder tabs. Damnit to hell that rear glass has given me fits cause it always pops out of the grove and rattles around. I’ve pulled the glass lower and tightened it up as much as I dare. Time to search the inter webs View attachment 38487View attachment 38488
The brackets in question are for the soft top rear window retainer bar. They don't have any effect on the hard top rear glass as far as helping retain that when the tailgate is closed. Many TJ owners who have both tops take those brackets off when they re-install their hard top. I leave mine on, because the rubber seal at the bottom of the hardtop glass is molded to go around that bracket, so it makes no sense to take them off.

Did the Sport model have the dual top option? If so, I feel robbed!
I cannot be 100% sure, but it seems that the dual top option would have been available for the 2003 model year, since that was the first year of the Rubicon. But I could be wrong. Someone may know for sure. It probably is listed in that thread that talks about the model changes by year...

I cannot be 100% sure, but it seems that the dual top option would have been available for the 2003 model year, since that was the first year of the Rubicon. But I could be wrong. Someone may know for sure. It probably is listed in that thread that talks about the model changes by year...

Well, mine's an 03, and had the Dana 44 rear option with disc brakes, so I guess it could have been a dealer upgrade option, or special order build.

I have trek top NX which has smaller brackets than stock. I have to remove them when I put hard top on in winter else the glasss will not close. (There is a lip on inside bottom of glass) I thought i needed the larger ones for hard top which is why i made my other post but realized afterwards i could have just removed them completely when the hard top is on.

I have since replaced the self tapping screws the brackets came with small bolts and wingnuts to make it easy next winter. ( the hole got larger and I did not want to get bigger self tappers)

My HT has popped open from time to time because the weather stripping on bottom of glass is supposed to be held closed by the tailgate. but i think it just gets old and maybe shrinks a bit. I have read threads on that other jeep forum about loosening screws on top of glass to move it down a 1/8 inch give or take to make the tail gate hold glass closed better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunderhead
I came across a picture online of a Tj Willys that came with a factory green soft top. Any idea where I can get that top? Would I have to go to a dealership, or can you even get them anymore?

Roll bar brackets, the snap pin thingies for the top bars, rear tailgate bar and the brackets it fits into. I also have a support above the front seats.

Or you could go frame less. I run a Pavement Ends top (budget top by Bestop) and it is awesome. Fits nice, doesn't flap around, been in pouring rain and snow without leaks. Around 350 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB0UYZU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Do you still like your Pavement Ends top? Has it held up well? Also, you mentioned it doesn’t flap around but I’ve read several reviews that said it flaps worse then stock when the windows are down. What is your experience with the flapping white windows down (almost always have the windows down) and durability over the long haul?

Reactions: mots
Do you still like your Pavement Ends top? Has it held up well? Also, you mentioned it doesn’t flap around but I’ve read several reviews that said it flaps worse then stock when the windows are down. What is your experience with the flapping white windows down (almost always have the windows down) and durability over the long haul?

Would like to know this as well...I can't decide if I should go with the more expensive Bestop Trektop NX frameless or the cheaper Pavement Ends version. I'll be running the soft top about 4-5 months out of the year and the hard top the rest of the time. Likely a once per year on and off. The PE version would save me $ towards a hard top hoist that I also want.

@Rob5589 (or anyone else) - where you ever able to compare tops with someone else that had the Trektop? I'm sure it is built a bit better, but I am wonder what the big difference is?

I was at Toledo Jeep Fest and talked to Bestop at their booth. They gave me a code TOLEDOJEEPFEST to save 15% on their website. But even after I entered the code on their website for the $105 off the $699 price, Amazon still had the Trektop NX cheaper by $20 plus free shipping ($579). Pretty lame Bestop!

P.S. Nevermind. I see that I need the windshield header, door surrounds & tailgate bar. I'm better off spending $200 more on the Trektop NX since I've never had a soft top. Still wondering if the PE top is the same quality as the Trektop NX, just without the extras I need?

Last edited:
I have the TrektopNX and based on images I can't see any difference except the TrektopNX has the cross bar that goes between the two door surrounds. Also it comes with all the hardware, door surrounds, header and such, which I needed. I don't think the Pavement Ends one comes with any of that.

I'm not sure if when I put mine together I did it wrong but with windows rolled up or down there has always been this creaking at the header bar (lift while driving which pulls at the header that causes this). If i am going safari mode with no doors or side/back windows then I can't hear this.

As long as I remember to tuck the top into the top of door surrounds flapping is minimal. I can't imagine the Pavement ends one is any different but have no experience with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xposure and mots
So I took the cross bar out when I went out for lunch so it is like the Pavement Ends to see what it was like. I got up to 55mph and it was a bit louder with more flapping but nothing the radio could not drown out. (Might be worse at highway speeds 70+) This is with both door windows open. It probably does help with the cross bar to help prevent it from stretching while it bouncing up and down.

AFAIK the cross bar is mostly to stop water from pooling from the rain, but it does appear to help some with flapping

Reactions: mots
Can anyone clarify if a factory soft top from a '06 will fit my '00?
Also is there anything weird I should be looking for when buying a used CL soft top?

Newbie to the forum, hope I do this right. Glad the soft top discussion is already posted. My 97 TJ has been with me since 2007 and the aftermarket hard top just can't be fixed any more, so the soft top with removable windows does appeal to me. Leaning toward the frameless and it appears that Best Top wins the prize. I know I need aftermarket parts for the windshield and tail gate along with a couple of door bezels. My only question is in regard to the factory sound bar. Is it going to be a challenge to get a good fit? How have others handled it? Thanks,

Newbie to the forum, hope I do this right. Glad the soft top discussion is already posted. My 97 TJ has been with me since 2007 and the aftermarket hard top just can't be fixed any more, so the soft top with removable windows does appeal to me. Leaning toward the frameless and it appears that Best Top wins the prize. I know I need aftermarket parts for the windshield and tail gate along with a couple of door bezels. My only question is in regard to the factory sound bar. Is it going to be a challenge to get a good fit? How have others handled it? Thanks,

It will fit just fine with the factory soundbar.

I know someone with a Bestop 79141-35 for sale (replace a top listed as being for the 03-06) real cheap. It's only the top with no windows. I have a 99 with the factory top and need to replace my top but all my windows are still good.

I cant find any definitive information if I can use this top on my 99 and it be nice and snug. Also if my 99 windows will work with it (or be made to work with it).

Anyone know for certain?

Thanks!
Stephen