What is the best solution for mounting a front plate?

Luke5181

What is the best solution for mounting a front plate? I have searched and I am not finding anything that doesn't drill the bumper (would be willing if needed) or look off. Appreciate the help

20201104_164307.jpg

Mr. Bills

Essayist and Raconteur
Supporting Member
View of front bumper with TRE fairlead and safety thimble.jpg

TRE winch line and Safety Thimble installed.jpg

This bracket:

Discussed posts 6-16 here:

Mumblewood

TJ Enthusiast
I just drilled through the plate to a couple mad light holders, now that I have synthetic line with a different fairlead I just use the same thing, but I put it on the grill.

Mr. Bills

Essayist and Raconteur
Supporting Member
Here are license plate mounts for hawse and roller fairleads offered by Rock Hard 4x4. I briefly considered the Rock Hard version but decided that the kdfabworks version worked better for me.

The idea originated with the previous owner of my jeep, who drilled two holes in the top of his roller fairlead for a scrap piece of perforated angle to which he affixed his front plate. I wanted to locate my front plate in a similar location when I purchased my TRE hawse fairlead, which eventually lead me to the kdfabworks bracket.

The original:

Smittybilt Roller Fairlead.jpg

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
I've bent and torn off multiple plates mounted to the front bumper. Now, it's secured with a couple zip ties. When I wheel I cut them off, toss the plate in the Jeep, then put it back when I'm done. Cheap I know, but it takes seconds to remove and put back, and doesn't look bad.