What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

I feel weird about this because nobody on this thread nor the alignment thread even asked about the caster cam adjustment. It seems like you are all secure with it, and I am the over protective parent.

Ya but I monkeyed with them with an angle gauge on the diff and at no point did it even change the pinion angle even 1 degree, so there is not much caster adjustment to be had. I mean even if it was out I would be surprised if turning that would get it back into specs. I ended up just putting it back where it was on both sides and giving up. There really isn't much difference on the front pinion angle on this small lift anyway. It really looks like if I want to do some damage I would replace the lowers with double adjustable control arms. Then I bet I could make this thing bark!!

I took mine out all together, but I have adjustable lowers

Reactions: ac_
So in reading the reviews and researching this I am finding that the Currie is the best, but when looking into it. Currie says there are no mods necessary for the installation, but in the description it says minimum 2" bumpstops added to the front. Now that seems like a modification. And I don't have any, and I just put front springs on my TJ, so do I really have to take it all back apart to put 2 inch bumpstops in to run this steering? And if so why would this steering make any difference on my bumpstops compared to the stock steering?

Lastly can I put them underneath the cup on the top or do I need to tap a hole and put them on the bottom and with that said how to I test what I actually need? Meaning what if I need 3 inches and don't know it? Or if 2 inches is too much and don't know it?

Thanks still learning abouit these 4 links.
You don’t have to remove the springs to add teh bump stops. You can pull teh bump jouncer and get the cup out with a ratchet between the springs. Then add your bump there. The rest is cycling your suspension as per others suggestions.

Also, for your setup, I’d recommend the ZJ Tie Rod Conversion, if you happen to need it. You’ll find out soon enough if your front end is in need of an upgrade. I had to do it about three months after my OME.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_ and StG58
You don't want to put a bunch of bumpstop on the front upper perch. The jounce bumper might make contact with the spring coils when the suspension unloads. Any additional bumpstop should be added to the lower perch pad. Not sure how you'd be able to drill and tap a hole in the lower perch without removing the spring @JMT .

Reactions: ac_ and CodaMan
You don't want to put a bunch of bumpstop on the front upper perch. The jounce bumper might make contact with the spring coils when the suspension unloads. Any additional bumpstop should be added to the lower perch pad. Not sure how you'd be able to drill and tap a hole in the lower perch without removing the spring @JMT .
Yep, if you went that route, you’d have to...I do it in the cup!!! It seems much easier that way. Edit above...

Yep, if you went that route, you’d have to...I do it in the cup!!! It seems much easier that way. Edit above...

When you get those disco's from Jimbo, I'd like you to check out something. Flex your front axle disco'd and check the orientation of the coil spring on the drooped side. Note the arch of the coil spring and how it relates to the jounce bumper.

When you get those disco's from Jimbo, I'd like you to check out something. Flex your front axle disco'd and check the orientation of the coil spring on the drooped side. Note the arch of the coil spring and how it relates to the jounce bumper.
I’m guessing there would be rub. I’ve noticed the closeness. So adding it on the perch is superior I guess.

Also, on the 2.5”OME and 1.25”BL and 33x12.5’s what’s my bumpstop going to be? Same but with 33x10.5’s?

Chances are high, yes.
How’s this look?
957D9DCB-E8D3-42D0-856A-F62AF6F9E570.png

There is nothing useful he can use from this photo past the assumed thought that nearly at full bump your bumpstops will make contact with the spring (May not, strong possibility they will). To check and measure bumpstops you really want to pull the springs and check it outlined by UnlimitedLJ04's guide.

There is nothing useful he can use from this photo past the assumed thought that nearly at full bump your bumpstops will make contact with the spring (May not, strong possibility they will). To check and measure bumpstops you really want to pull the springs and check it outlined by UnlimitedLJ04's guide.
Ah hell, that’s a lot more work than tapping “Upload File!”

I’ll put this question here, even though it’s power steering.
My power steering is leaking substantially, seems to be the steering box. Also there’s a bit of play in the steering itself. So I’ve decided to replace the lot. Steering pump,- and box as well as the hoses.
Question is which brand to go for? I see some fancy stuff available like AGR.