What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Are they really that easy? You don't need to jack it up or take the wheels off to align it and set the toe-in?

they are in fact that easy, just lean the plates on the tires & measure away. Tip, there are little magnets just below the slots I think one one of the plates, took me a while to realize they were even there & what they were for - they're meant to hold the end of the tape measure in place so that when you fish the tape measures through the opposite end (where you're taking your measurements from) the other end doesn't move around on you... really a super low-tech but smart design.

One day I'll read directions to something I buy.

One day.

Also, maybe it's because my tie rod is new but I'm able to effortlessly spin that thing with the tires on the ground.

Reactions: MaloStapalo and ac_
they are in fact that easy, just lean the plates on the tires & measure away. Tip, there are little magnets just below the slots I think one one of the plates, took me a while to realize they were even there & what they were for - they're meant to hold the end of the tape measure in place so that when you fish the tape measures through the opposite end (where you're taking your measurements from) the other end doesn't move around on you... really a super low-tech but smart design.

One day.

Also, maybe it's because my tie rod is new but I'm able to effortlessly spin that thing with the tires on the ground.
I also lean jackstands against them, and against the wheel to hold them, so I don't pull them with the tape. I use the slots for the tape.

One day.

Haha, I hear you... I never read the directions and sometimes it ends up biting me in the ass.

Those magnets will come in handy, big time. I can't tell you how annoying it's been using the aluminum pieces I got from Jerry's thread on alignment. They work, but holding the tape measure in place can be very cumbersome, since the other side of it always wants to slide off.

For the price, these are a no-brainer for sure.

Reactions: ac_
Haha, I hear you... I never read the directions and sometimes it ends up biting me in the ass.

Those magnets will come in handy, big time. I can't tell you how annoying it's been using the aluminum pieces I got from Jerry's thread on alignment. They work, but holding the tape measure in place can be very cumbersome, since the other side of it always wants to slide off.

For the price, these are a no-brainer for sure.

If the TJ is jacked up and the wheels are off I still will do it @Jerry Bransford's way, but I usually tape the tape to the aluminum bar to hold it.

If the TJ is jacked up and the wheels are off I still will do it @Jerry Bransford's way, but I usually tape the tape to the aluminum bar to hold it.

Yep, I had to start taping one end of the tape measure as well, since it just kept sliding off. I'm pretty sure if you've owned a TJ long enough, you become an expert at setting the toe-in. Hell, I could do it in my sleep.

Reactions: ac_
I just installed the Currie system on 05 LJ and it helped big time! I haven’t gotten it aligned yet but after reading the other forum on how to do it yourself I might try to this weekend! It is pricey but well worth the money! The hardest part was getting the old tie rod and drag link off. And yes I know I have to get rid of that dual stabilizer I have a rubicon express sitting in shed I just haven’t had time to install it yet lol

C7771A0F-B0DF-4B5A-A034-B00A47310FFA.jpeg

2FBEABE4-58AE-4C74-A033-0A115EB67DAF.jpeg

I got the crown he steering kit off amazon, which now crown automotive has rebranded there off road stuff as RT off-road (same brand, just new brand name for “off road” parts I guess). I got mine for $125 after searching on amazon for crown automotive and rt off road separately. The initial one that was shipped out I ended up stripping all the bolts when tightening the tie rod ends with the clamp thingymajigs... seller accepted return and sent me out another one right away. I didn’t bother tightening to torque spec this time but just medium hand tight. Seems ok for now, been on for 2 months. Went with the crown instead of Currie cuz my jeep only has a 2” puck lift (unknown brand... bought it like this) and the Currie requires a higher lift (says 4” preferred). Plus $125-$175 bucks for crown vs. $470-560 for Currie... I’m only Just delving into the off road and jeep world... :) just my 2cents hopefully this helps some newbie like me!

Awe crap. I should have added the following to my last post above: this all started when I had a sway bar link break 2 weeks after buying my first jeep. Replaced it with 2”+ extended TeraFlex sway bar links then after that I developed ”death wobble” a couple weeks later (don’t think the links created this). Tried to fix this wobble by getting my tires/wheels balanced as I noticed some of those sticky weights 4wp installed (from previous owner) came off the inner of my rim (got the clamp on weights done this time by a local shop $15/wheelx5 wheels not cheap but it is what it is)... no luck. Next step, check things out under the jeep. Well the whole steering linkage was shot so I replaced it with the RT Off Road (crown automotive) steering setup... which caused me to learn, research, and replace my dual rancho steering stabilizer setup with the cheap $24 Monroe steering stabilizer everyone recommended on here. And then while I was down there I tried to rebuild the track bar bushings only to find out the other end of the track bar (the non bushing side was shot) so I replaced that too with a Moog one $90 or so (upgraded version from pep boys which turned out to be made in good old USA. Taught myself how to do the alignment from Jerry’s post on this forum and now my wobbles gone! Hope this helps the next sucker like me that buys a jeep with the intent to slowly learn how to off-road and work on it himself but gets thrown in the fire and has to learn how to fix all these things sooner than expected! I’m lovin’ the Jeep Life!

Random pics cuz everyone’s loves pics!
4F19774D-BDDE-4324-B08B-0F1984792BD7.jpeg
D2392290-6BE6-4C16-A07B-62852045F487.jpeg
2775A141-D07F-4091-9D5D-1D4488AE2702.jpeg
BF12FDD4-321A-4BB9-BB24-78C91283D87F.jpeg
1B05F581-BE1F-45AE-82EC-6028C9F67118.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
I got the crown he steering kit off amazon, which now crown automotive has rebranded there off road stuff as RT off-road (same brand, just new brand name for “off road” parts I guess). I got mine for $125 after searching on amazon for crown automotive and rt off road separately. The initial one that was shipped out I ended up stripping all the bolts when tightening the tie rod ends with the clamp thingymajigs... seller accepted return and sent me out another one right away. I didn’t bother tightening to torque spec this time but just medium hand tight. Seems ok for now, been on for 2 months. Went with the crown instead of Currie cuz my jeep only has a 2” puck lift (unknown brand... bought it like this) and the Currie requires a higher lift (says 4” preferred). Plus $125-$175 bucks for crown vs. $470-560 for Currie... I’m only Just delving into the off road and jeep world... :) just my 2cents hopefully this helps some newbie like me!

Currie does work at lower heights but sometimes requires modification. I had H&R springs at 1.5" and I ran Currie Steering for a couple years. It bolted in and I got 1/8" toe-in with almost no adjusment left.

They are a mine of knowledge, I've got a little note taking book for it, pretty much wrtting down anything you , Blaine and Jerry say, as well as some good stuff from other members.

Reactions: Chris
I have a quick question: You listed the Synergy steering system as one to stay away from because it is a crossover steering option. I have that option and it looks to be set up exactly the same as the Currie. Maybe I am missing another kind of Synergy that is a crossover.

That is not to say that I would ever recommend this Synergy set up. It has been nothing but problematic, as that knuckle where the draglink and tie rod interface flops so bad. I would go to the Currie without a thought but I have already drilled out knuckles for 1 ton tie rod ends.

Thanks

I have a quick question: You listed the Synergy steering system as one to stay away from because it is a crossover steering option. I have that option and it looks to be set up exactly the same as the Currie. Maybe I am missing another kind of Synergy that is a crossover.

That is not to say that I would ever recommend this Synergy set up. It has been nothing but problematic, as that knuckle where the draglink and tie rod interface flops so bad. I would go to the Currie without a thought but I have already drilled out knuckles for 1 ton tie rod ends.

Thanks

Synergy used to make a crossover steering setup I believe, but I see the one you're talking about, and it is a Haltenberger style setup. Of course I'm sure someone like Blaine could still point out a number of design issues with it, but that's a moot point.