What is the best trim restorer out there?

97’ 4banger

The fenders on my Jeep have gotten gray and faded over the years. I have the original fenders and I don’t want to pay for new ones just yet. What is the best trim restorer that you have used? I have also seen people use heat guns to darken the plastic too. I don’t want it to be too much money but I also want it to work well, so I’ll dish out a little more money for a good one. I also have a heat gun at home but I’m not sure how well that method works. Thanks for the feedback!

The heat gun method works - for a while. The better dressings work - for a while. Paint also works - until its time for another coat of paint.

Pick your poison. Some methods are quick, some take hours. Some are cheap, others aren't. None reverse the oxidation process.

I generally try to avoid painting fender flairs until nothing else works because once you paint 'em black you can't go back. But that's just personal preference. I have also avoided the heat gun method because of the many reports that over time it dries out the vinyl which can in turn actually accelerate oxidation.

I've used Meguire's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer with acceptable results, but for fender flares and vinyl trim still in reasonably good shape I've found that all that is really required is a quick wipe down with a sponge or cloth dampened with my preferred tire dressing: original satin finish No Touch Tire Care. Cheap, easy, and takes only a few seconds.

G15812_UltBlk_10x10.png

NT_pro_TC.png

Reactions: Tioga river Rat
I've used the 303, McGuires, back to black and others. Some are ok, but none last very long in my opinion. Some have had good luck using a heat gun but I never tried that. Finally I saw a homemade formula online by simply using a mixture of 50% paint thinner and 50% boiled linseed oil. I apply it with a cheap foam brush and then let it dry a few minutes and wipe with a clean rag. It gives me the best results and last longer than anything else I've tried and is cheap. I've used it on my last 2 Jeeps and it's what I'll stick with now. It seems to soak into the plastic, restore it to black and also provide some protection.

Reactions: hamrickac
Any of you guys that are into vehicle appearance really need to check out the new 303 touchless sealant.

It's for paint glass and plastic and I am impressed

Wash the Jeep...Barely missed it and spray it off within 5 or 10 seconds and it's amazing.

Tried numerous products and heat guns on my Son's 20 year old XJ. In the end cleaning them and spraying with Krylon Fusion for Plastic was the best option. Been done for a few months, still looks like the day I sprayed them, and it lives outside.

Reactions: mots
It seems to be like it will be lot of trial and error until I find something I like. I’ll try the paint thinner and linseed oil and see how that works. Thanks!

It seems to be like it will be lot of trial and error until I find something I like. I’ll try the paint thinner and linseed oil and see how that works. Thanks!
The best way to keep em black is to buy new ones from Summit. I believe they have the best price for factory flares..

Once the factory flares have been hit with the sun and damaged (faded), a chemical change/reaction has already happened. There is no way to bring them back.

New flares with consistant cleaning and protecting will last a really long time.

Last edited:
There are some who use Penetrol, an oil-based paint additive and fiberglass conditioner which is primarily naphtha with a trace of benzene.

I used Penatrol by FLOOD on my hard top. Without a shadow of a doubt, it has restored the top in better than new condition. I was amazed at the outcome and still amazed of the length of time it has lasted in the heat, cold, rain and sunshine of Mississippi.

I used the meguiars(sp?) with satisfactory results. It’s cheap, easy and quick. If I have to do it every year I’m cool with that.

Use Eastwood plastic resurfacer on all plastic. I did everything with it and it all looks new. It essentially bonds into the plastic and provides protection - it’s a paint.

For those who have painted their flares how long does it last? Does it crack and start to chip if the flare flexes and bends a bit when on the trail? Or is it flexible enough to take some abuse? Thanx.

The heat gun method works - for a while. The better dressings work - for a while. Paint also works - until its time for another coat of paint.

Pick your poison. Some methods are quick, some take hours. Some are cheap, others aren't. None reverse the oxidation process.

I generally try to avoid painting fender flairs until nothing else works because once you paint 'em black you can't go back. But that's just personal preference. I have also avoided the heat gun method because of the many reports that over time it dries out the vinyl which can in turn actually accelerate oxidation.

I've used Meguire's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer with acceptable results, but for fender flares and vinyl trim still in reasonably good shape I've found that all that is really required is a quick wipe down with a sponge or cloth dampened with my preferred tire dressing: original satin finish No Touch Tire Care. Cheap, easy, and takes only a few seconds.

View attachment 95494

View attachment 95495
Not sure if you are familiar with the sun in this area, but it tends to be fairly brutal to paint and uncoated plastic. It will turn a new set of flares gray in less than 2 years. The flares I've done with SEM Color Coat and top coated with clear low luster Color Coat with UV protection have not ever had to be redone. Nor have I had to do anything else to them. I'll get a pick today of a set of flares I did for the Unlimited 3+ years ago.

Here is the SEM I mentioned above. 3 years, always in the sun.
DSC_4869.JPG

The step and bumper end caps are typical of what happens. Another of a new set of OEM flares that I put on about a year before I painted the ones on the red Jeep.
DSC_4868.JPG

License plate holder that looked like the flares on the orange rig that I painted at the same time as the flares.
DSC_4867.JPG

Here is the SEM I mentioned above. 3 years, always in the sun.
View attachment 95816
The step and bumper end caps are typical of what happens. Another of a new set of OEM flares that I put on about a year before I painted the ones on the red Jeep.
View attachment 95822
License plate holder that looked like the flares on the orange rig that I painted at the same time as the flares.
View attachment 95823

X2 to this. We did this on my buddies TJ and it turned out amazing!