What is the best way to off-road in a manual TJ?

@matrixman303 @SecondChanceTJ You really don't even need to and shouldn't use the clutch off road. 4L and 1st or 2nd gear will get you through most obstacles. If you get to a spot where your tires lose grip turn the wheel left and right 90 degrees until it finds traction. Here's the big part. If you can't proceed any further turn the jeep off with the key and leave it in gear. This will prevent rolling back and if in water ruining your clutch. If you stall out leave it in gear and you can use the starter to get going again with your foot on the accelerator to keep going.

Basically leave your left food on the floor. Start and stop with the starter motor. It's way easier to replace the starter then the clutch and the starter is built for this. This has been working pretty good for me off-road but takes some self restraint from smashing the clutch in.

The trick is to keep it in the proper gear and keep the motor in the peak power range. It’s all about feel so experience is needed more than someone on a forum can tell you. I love my manual but I’ve been driving them for 50 years. Most people today don’t know how to drive a stick let alone properly. Once you gain the muscle memory and gain confidence it’s a breeze and part of the challenge of off roading

Just a few years ago 99% of capable 4x4,s around the world were manual, Automatic 4x4,s were rare, USA sold 4x4,s being the exception?
People in Australia still steer clear of auto TJ,s in favour of manual. Most TJ,s in Australia and Europe are manual most TJ,s in US are auto
Its maybe all stigma and possibly always was but 4x4 technology and engineering has advanced along with some die hard 4x4 enthusiasts mindset.

In USA I believe most learn to drive in an auto? but most of the rest of the western world learn to drive in a manual, if you take your driving test in an auto you cannot drive a manual on the road unless you re learn in a manual and take another driving test in a manual they are two separate licenses. If you have a manual licence you can legally drive an auto as its a class below. Ramble Ramble lol

If you don't have a thumb throttle, dig your right heel into the floorboard and work the accelerator using your ankle. You don't want to hit a bump and mash the gas. You shouldn't be shifting while navigating obstacles so keep your hands off the shifter to prevent pulling her out of gear, again, when you hit that bump.

Just a few years ago 99% of capable 4x4,s around the world were manual, Automatic 4x4,s were rare, USA sold 4x4,s being the exception?
People in Australia still steer clear of auto TJ,s in favour of manual. Most TJ,s in Australia and Europe are manual most TJ,s in US are auto
Its maybe all stigma and possibly always was but 4x4 technology and engineering has advanced along with some die hard 4x4 enthusiasts mindset.

In USA I believe most learn to drive in an auto? but most of the rest of the western world learn to drive in a manual, if you take your driving test in an auto you cannot drive a manual on the road unless you re learn in a manual and take another driving test in a manual they are two separate licenses. If you have a manual licence you can legally drive an auto as its a class below. Ramble Ramble lol
Lol You need a endorsement to drive a manual.? Nobody wants anauto for offroad? REad up on only two pedals and torque converters. Can't own guns?

Nanny state.

Quigley is rolling over in his grave.

Dont worry now USA is right behind you folks.

Reactions: Zorba
If you don't have a thumb throttle, dig your right heel into the floorboard and work the accelerator using your ankle. You don't want to hit a bump and mash the gas. You shouldn't be shifting while navigating obstacles so keep your hands off the shifter to prevent pulling her out of gear, again, when you hit that bump.
Before converting to an automatic for the rock crawling I was enjoying the most, I ran a 5-speed with a spring-loaded hand throttle on the shifter. Actually a bicycle gear shift lever. It REALLY helped me control the throttle more smoothly on really bumpy/jarring rocky trails. Sudden throttle input at the wrong time as happens on some trails with a manual transmission can break some important parts so smooth throttle control is crucial.

This is how I mounted mine. You definitely want it mounted on the gear shift leer so you can rest your hand on the knob to hold the lever steady with precise throttle control. Placing the control on the dash would be the wrong location for bumpy trail use.

Shiftknob.jpg

Before converting to an automatic for the rock crawling I was enjoying the most, I ran a 5-speed with a spring-loaded hand throttle on the shifter. Actually a bicycle gear shift lever. It REALLY helped me control the throttle more smoothly on really bumpy/jarring rocky trails. Sudden throttle input at the wrong time as happens on some trails with a manual transmission can break some important parts so smooth throttle control is crucial.

This is how I mounted mine. You definitely want it mounted on the gear shift leer so you can rest your hand on the knob to hold the lever steady with precise throttle control. Placing the control on the dash would be the wrong location for bumpy trail use.

View attachment 228201
x2. I've found the thumb throttle most useful for me in rock gardens and the like, where bumps can cause unsteady gas pedal pressure and make you start jerking back and forth.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Another trick is start it , drive it out to the road , put a for sale sign on it, and get an auto.

On a more serious note, I have both transmissions , wheel both,and both have advantages, but the auto gets the edge in complete rocks. The most important thing is it lets you focus on the obstacle and not worry about keeping the engine alive.

The manual let’s you do things the auto can’t ...like clean the tires quickly, roll back in gear,etc.

The manual is more work at times, and any manual I own will have a thumb throttle. It’s an essential off road mod in my opinion.

The auto makes it all easy and has more torque at the rear tires...I can’t say anything negative about it.

They are both fun in their own way...they really are. The worst day I’ve ever had in a Jeep still beat my best day at work .

Lol You need a endorsement to drive a manual.? Nobody wants anauto for offroad? REad up on only two pedals and torque converters. Can't own guns?

Nanny state.

It's not that hard to believe! Here in the states, if you take your CDL test in a truck with an auto transmission, that's all you can drive.

Not that many years ago if a Jeep had an auto transmission, it also had the quadratrack transfer case, which made it all wheel drive.

@matrixman303 @SecondChanceTJ You really don't even need to and shouldn't use the clutch off road. 4L and 1st or 2nd gear will get you through most obstacles. If you get to a spot where your tires lose grip turn the wheel left and right 90 degrees until it finds traction. Here's the big part. If you can't proceed any further turn the jeep off with the key and leave it in gear. This will prevent rolling back and if in water ruining your clutch. If you stall out leave it in gear and you can use the starter to get going again with your foot on the accelerator to keep going.

Basically leave your left food on the floor. Start and stop with the starter motor. It's way easier to replace the starter then the clutch and the starter is built for this. This has been working pretty good for me off-road but takes some self restraint from smashing the clutch in.
x2, for those reading, in order to do this you have to place a 20 amp fuse in the fuse box behind the glove compartment. Putting that fuse in the socket label 'AUTO TRANS' bypasses the clutch lockout and allows you to start in gear. And if your worried about whether or not this technique is actually safe for the vehicle, go read your owners manual, it tells you how to put that fuse in and use it for offroad driving.

Nanny state.

I could tell you some Stories of US Tourists ruining brand new manual hire cars within miles of hire!
Its quite simple auto only drivers cannot drive a manual without experience, they may be able to drive like a new learner but if you cant do a steep hill start or know how to ride the clutch you cant drive one simples :)

Up until around 10 years ago no aussie would buy an auto 4x4 and still today most prefer manual, I know its been proven that auto is sometimes superior but autos are still for Grandmas and little girls! lol

It's not that hard to believe! Here in the states, if you take your CDL test in a truck with an auto transmission, that's all you can drive.

Not that many years ago if a Jeep had an auto transmission, it also had the quadratrack transfer case, which made it all wheel drive.
In Australia if you take an auto truck test thats all you can drive if you take a synchromesh box truck test you can only drive synchromesh and auto if you take a Road Ranger type test you can drive all, Road ranger or 16 speed is called Unrestricted Heavy Goods Vehicle licence.
Similar with a car licence.

New drivers who have past their car test must display front and rear "P plates" (provisional plates) Red for 6 month then Green for 18 months, this shows cops and other road users that the "p plater" is an inexperienced driver
Red "P platers" cannot drive over 55mph and Green "P platers" cannot drive over 60mph, they must always show an alcohol blood reading of 0.00.

Hi, just got my 2000 jeep sport a couple of weeks ago and wanted to ask what is the best way to offroad in a manual? Such as what gears to run and so on?

Thanks
Can you with confidence every single time do a steep incline stick shift hill start without rolling backwards? Can you ride a clutch without it burning? Can you gain biting point with zero effort or thought? if so you have no problems wheeling a manual 4x4, if you cant then you need practice with basic Manual shift driving methods before you even start wheeling a manual 4x4!
Its called "clutch control" simples :)

x2, for those reading, in order to do this you have to place a 20 amp fuse in the fuse box behind the glove compartment. Putting that fuse in the socket label 'AUTO TRANS' bypasses the clutch lockout and allows you to start in gear. And if your worried about whether or not this technique is actually safe for the vehicle, go read your owners manual, it tells you how to put that fuse in and use it for offroad driving.
I never knew that. Never fathomed it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If you've got a manual, I suggest getting a winch, good battery or batteries and from there gearing is so specific with manuals. If this is for on the road and off road then pick gearing that will put you solidly in the peak torque curve for your engine for your desired tire size, speed ie at 70 mph for most of us and in your highest gear. Adjust that ratio numerically higher for how often you're off road vs on the road.

Next I would want a crawl ratio (first gear in your transmission x transfer case ratio x rear end ratio) of at least about 60:1 (with 33s) or more for general purpose off-road. IMO the bigger crawl ratio, the better, but it kinda just depends on your driving situations/conditions. I personally like general off-roading more with a manual, because I just pick a gear and don't ever touch my throttle again. As far as obstacles, I think a manual requires so many gear options and shifts that I'd rather have an auto.

I guess it depends on your terrain but I don't like spinning my tires. Spinning just sets the stage for so much stuff to break unless you're really good or have broken enough stuff to know the limits.

Gearing, tires, winch, lockers, steering, suspension, engines, there's just so many factors and different driving conditions out there. Sand I'm the least knowledgeable with, but I figure even with a really low crawl ratio, just stay in 4hi and you're fine. The faster you go the more dynamic forces you're going to see, but it's fun, so pick your poison. I've wheeled for years with the wrong gearing and that works too. My favorite wheeling is on a tractor, 40s are just too tiny sometimes :).

I could tell you some Stories of US Tourists ruining brand new manual hire cars within miles of hire!
Its quite simple auto only drivers cannot drive a manual without experience, they may be able to drive like a new learner but if you cant do a steep hill start or know how to ride the clutch you cant drive one simples :)

Up until around 10 years ago no aussie would buy an auto 4x4 and still today most prefer manual, I know its been proven that auto is sometimes superior but autos are still for Grandmas and little girls! lol
Only just found this thread and read it, somewhat amusing. I thought another non-US voice would be helpful :ROFLMAO: Exactly the same in the UK, I am not even sure you could buy a TJ in automatic here, given at the time the TJ was for sale new owning an automatic was seen as a bit effeminate and that did not really fit with the TJ image in the UK.

I think the general perception here was that in the US everyone drove automatic because they didn't know how to drive a manual, but then the prejudice here was also that the US didn't have any cars that could actually go around corners, some were great in straight lines but not on the twisty stuff. Please take this in the good humoured way it was written!

It is interesting that the one thing that is really changing things over here is the increase in the number of electric cars. I actually heard on the news in the last week that the number of people taking a test only for an automatic was at record levels, I am convinced that is the electric effect.

Florida is different wheeling than most other areas but seldom will there be a need for 4Hi, you'll normally want to be in 4Lo. 1st and 2nd gear for most parts. Only if you get into deep mud would the be a need to try something like 4Hi where you need some wheel speed to keep going.
Did you make the move yet?

Can you with confidence every single time do a steep incline stick shift hill start without rolling backwards? Can you ride a clutch without it burning? Can you gain biting point with zero effort or thought? if so you have no problems wheeling a manual 4x4, if you cant then you need practice with basic Manual shift driving methods before you even start wheeling a manual 4x4!
Its called "clutch control" simples :)
Some people (not me) can do it all with grace.

Jerry b2.jpg

Last edited: