What is the best way to off-road in a manual TJ?

x2, for those reading, in order to do this you have to place a 20 amp fuse in the fuse box behind the glove compartment. Putting that fuse in the socket label 'AUTO TRANS' bypasses the clutch lockout and allows you to start in gear. And if your worried about whether or not this technique is actually safe for the vehicle, go read your owners manual, it tells you how to put that fuse in and use it for offroad driving.
My Rubicon does this stock in 4L. I wonder which models need the fuse?

Any vehicle on the roads where I was at were kind of "Overlanding" vehicles. During the monsoons, you may or may not have a road to drive on due to roads washing out, but their traffic is void of law, but everyone just makes do and rubbing is ok. The population was very dense, but people were just more laid back. In cities I've been in the US, people are angry and there's SO many laws and regulations that any cop can get you for something. Maybe it helps that a brand new car that from an Engineering perspective of utility would absolutely blow away a US car and it would cost $8k, but our cost would be $50k once you get all the fancy stuff on there that will break down in a decade or so and don't forget the $20k of regulations, not to include the extra tooling, research and design costs for new models and a bunch of other crap that we throw in. Makes me angry just thinking of all the BS waste when I just want a dependable utility vehicle, but government knows best.
WORD.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Here’s the clutch switch override location on my 05. It’s #28 in the under-hood fuse box.

43A2C83C-F2A9-4B65-8570-512AA68A3380.jpeg

Another point to the OP, when learning a manual trans. When you are not using the clutch pedal to leave from a dead stop or shifting, take your foot completely off the clutch pedal.
When my Dad taught me how to drive his truck, I was 12 years old. He strongly suggested that I learn that right off the bat.

Reactions: John Cooper
I had a manual trans for around 3 years before having it swapped to an auto. I do have the Rubi 241 tcase which helps out a lot. I did also have the thumb throttle and the mod mentioned above where I could start the Jeep in gear.

I did almost 100% of the obstacles in first gear. Second gear was ok sometimes, but I would be much more likely to stall. You will get used to it, but you will probably stall a lot while you're learning. Just remember to put your foot on the brake when you stall out to prevent rolling backwards.

I had a manual trans for around 3 years before having it swapped to an auto. I do have the Rubi 241 tcase which helps out a lot. I did also have the thumb throttle and the mod mentioned above where I could start the Jeep in gear.

I did almost 100% of the obstacles in first gear. Second gear was ok sometimes, but I would be much more likely to stall. You will get used to it, but you will probably stall a lot while you're learning. Just remember to put your foot on the brake when you stall out to prevent rolling backwards.
If you are in gear and don't hit the clutch when you stall you wont roll back.

Reactions: John Cooper
Do you all really stall that much? I'm always in such low gears that my wheels are gonna spin one way or the other.

My brakes suck, I don't know if they'd prevent me from rolling back without the engine running.

Do you all really stall that much? I'm always in such low gears that my wheels are gonna spin one way or the other.

My brakes suck, I don't know if they'd prevent me from rolling back without the engine running.

if I went out for the day, I'd usually stall once or twice if there are a bunch of waterfalls. It wasn't really that bad, just prefer an auto for wheeling. I'll never get a manual again.

There’s a lot more traction in Southern California than kentucky.

Just wondering. I stall going to Walmart, when I'm trying to take off in 5th instead of first. When I've pulled equipment and it got stuck, I just get 2 tires spinning on concrete. That might not be the case with a locker though.

Just wondering. I stall going to Walmart, when I'm trying to take off in 5th instead of first. When I've pulled equipment and it got stuck, I just get 2 tires spinning on concrete. That might not be the case with a locker though.
It’s a lot harder to stall your Cummins due to the low speed governor.

It’s a lot harder to stall your Cummins due to the low speed governor.
I thought my 4L was still pretty hard to stall, but most of my experience is in low traction stuff. We have 2 or 3 months a year where our tires stick.

I thought my 4L was still pretty hard to stall, but most of my experience is in low traction stuff. We have 2 or 3 months a year where our tires stick.
I used to do alot of off-roading in Southern Illinois and turkey bay and i dont remember much traction.

I'm pretty sure if you have a Rubicon and it is in 4LO you can start the engine without pushing the clutch in. I'm only pretty sure because I just learned my clutch lockout safety switch does not work.....
When my clutch failed 150 miles from home, I drove the entire way floating gears. And also shutting down and coasting to a stop for red lights and taking off at greenlights with the starter in 2H. This included a gas stop.

When my clutch failed 150 miles from home, I drove the entire way floating gears. And also shutting down and coasting to a stop for red lights and taking off at greenlights with the starter in 2H. This included a gas stop.
Sorry, stupid question but exactly how do you "float" gears?