What is the best way to relocate the alternator?

To get it out of the water and on top of the engine.
Here in Florida, it's inevitable that you're going to be in water and mud.
And it's tough on alternators.

Last edited:
You'd probably have to fabricate some custom bracketry. Theoretically, you could mount it on top of the engine like certain supercharger kits:
Wrangler-Top-Mount.jpg

(Pictured is the Boosted Technologies supercharger.)

I don't ever recall seeing someone relocate the alternator up. Several kits actually relocate it down. A couple that come to mind are the Magnum Powers supercharger kit and the OffRoadOnly York air compressor kit.

However, you're going to expend a lot of time and effort for something of minimal benefit. Certain members claim you can go about to the bottom of the headlights before you see issues (I won't claim this myself.)

You'd probably be better spending your time and money on lifts and tires. Don't forget, there are a lot of other components that can also be easily damaged by water intrusion.

For around $300 you could get a (very) budget minded 2" lift using spacers and shocks, and for another $200 get another 1" body lift and motor mount lift. That will increase the height of many more components than just the alternator and provide extra clearance. Slap on some 32" tires and you can go a full 4".

Wider and taller tires will prevent you from sinking as far into the mud. 12.5 wide tires are very popular for muddy areas.

The ubiquitous 4" SL, 1" BL, 35" tires, and skid tucks on this forum would net you an additional 7-8" of height that would protect just about every component from water intrusion. (Not budget friendly at all.)

First time I've ever heard of someone needing to relocate their alternator, and there's some folks on here that wheel in some pretty crazy stuff!

Reactions: Willys LJ
I've already replaced two alternators from putting them under water and in the mud.
I have a friend with a 98 grand wagoneer 4.0 with the alternator on top side of the engine.
I've heard of other people killing alternators from water and mud.
Maybe there's an opportunity here.
I figured someone had an after market solution already.
Thank you for the input anyway.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Maybe it's the newer electronics that would make a difference, but I had an old VW Rabbit Diesel when I last lived in New Orleans. The Bosch alternator (internal regulator) was mounted way down even with the oil pan. When the streets flooded there, I'd just drive on through water splashing up over the front of the hood. My alternator light would come on, but once out of it, it'd go back off in a few minutes. I don't know how many times I did that in the 4 years I lived there that time. At least it washed the grunge out of the alternator. I never did have to replace that alternator.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Why not just thoroughly clean the alternator after off road use use? I don't think they are that delicate. Just think how low your starter sits. The same conditions apply to that and the two components are not dissimilar.

I believe the starter isn't under constant load and not open vented , with delicate diodes like an alternator.
I don't have problems with the starter when I hit water and mud like I do with alternators.
And those alternators are getting expensive ,lol.