What is the best winch for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

I've been winch shopping a bit, then I managed to get a M8000 (steel) for free. A company we do business with brought in a new Zeon(syn) and said to replace the M8000 that was on their truck, with it. I asked what they were doing with the old one, they said "throw it", so I did, in the back of my truck. Works great, after some TLC, and a wire repair. A synthetic cable is in my future.

It depends. If you have an aftermarket front bumper, it most likely has a winch mounting plate built in. If you are using the stock bumper you'll need a winch mounting plate. When I was using my stock front bumper with the winch, I was using the Smittybilt winch mounting plate.

Sure, it's Smittybilt, but all of these winch mounting plates look the same, and they're just to mount the winch on, so you don't need to break the bank for something this simple.

In addition to that, the other thing I have is the Warn Medium Duty Winching Kit. It's a bit pricey (because it's the Warn name), but I bought it because it included everything I needed to go along with the winch, in a handy bag to carry it in. You could piece the stuff together separately and probably come out a bit cheaper, but I liked that this had all the accessories I needed, and it was ready to go.
@Chris ,getting ready to order a m8000s, through the forum of course. Was wondering if the smittybilt 2803 plate would work with a Dirtworx front bumper..should have got the winch ready one,but when I bought it didn't have plans for a winch..

@Chris ,getting ready to order a m8000s, through the forum of course. Was wondering if the smittybilt 2803 plate would work with a Dirtworx front bumper..should have got the winch ready one,but when I bought it didn't have plans for a winch..

It should work just fine. In the worst case you’d have to drill holes in the bumper to mount the winch plate, but that’s no big deal.

Reactions: Strngmn81
It should work just fine. In the worst case you’d have to drill holes in the bumper to mount the winch plate, but that’s no big deal.
Thanks for the reply. After working as a diesel mechanic for 27 years, I know how to drill a hole..lol!!

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Since this was written has there been or is there any other which manufacturer besides Warn, that makes winches in the US?

Wow, this is interesting. I've been agonizing for weeks on what winch to buy, and what do
i run across today? This thread. Especially since the winch I decided on was the M8000-S and the Smittybilt raised plate to fit with my rock crawler front bumper!

Thanks Chris for making me feel better about dropping that kind of dough.

BTW, how can I buy that unit through the forum?

Well went to install the plate yesterday, I had thought I might have to drill the area behind the main part of the bumper. But after lining up the holes would of had to drill into the main section..don't want a way for moisture to get inside..maybe a raised plate..to keep the winch mounting bolts off the bumper??
20200920_135643.jpg
20200920_135643.jpg

Well went to install the plate yesterday, I had thought I might have to drill the area behind the main part of the bumper. But after lining up the holes would of had to drill into the main section..don't want a way for moisture to get inside..maybe a raised plate..to keep the winch mounting bolts off the bumper??View attachment 191130

View attachment 191130

Just drill the holes. There’s nothing to worry about there whatsoever 👍

Just drill the holes. There’s nothing to worry about there whatsoever 👍
So just ream out the holes big enough for the winch mounting bolt heads to live inside the bumper?? The Dirtworx bumper is enclosed on the back side..

So just ream out the holes big enough for the winch mounting bolt heads to live inside the bumper?? The Dirtworx bumper is enclosed on the back side..

That’s what I would do. You could also tap the holes so that you wouldn’t need to use nuts. Would that work?

That’s what I would do. You could also tap the holes so that you wouldn’t need to use nuts. Would that work?
The way the winch, m8000s, is made on the foot..takes a square nut that becomes captured in the housing.. Also the plate I got, through Amazon was missing the mounting hardware...so thinking of returning it and going with a raised one..

The way the winch, m8000s, is made on the foot..takes a square nut that becomes captured in the housing.. Also the plate I got, through Amazon was missing the mounting hardware...so thinking of returning it and going with a raised one..

That’s right, I have a Warn M8000, I should know better.

In that case, I would go with a raised one or a new bumper with a built in winch plate. I didn’t realize the Dirtworx bumper wasn’t open on the backside like so many bumpers are. That makes it a PITA.

Reactions: Strngmn81
That’s right, I have a Warn M8000, I should know better.

In that case, I would go with a raised one or a new bumper with a built in winch plate. I didn’t realize the Dirtworx bumper wasn’t open on the backside like so many bumpers are. That makes it a PITA.
Yeah, like I said a few posts back, when I got my Dirtworx front wasn't planning on a winch...but you know how things change..😆

I've ran 3 Engo 12k winch's on 3 different jeeps and have not had a problem with any of them. Helped me get out of some bad places, I found my current Engo on sale for $302.00 bucs!

It depends. If you have an aftermarket front bumper, it most likely has a winch mounting plate built in. If you are using the stock bumper you'll need a winch mounting plate. When I was using my stock front bumper with the winch, I was using the Smittybilt winch mounting plate.

Sure, it's Smittybilt, but all of these winch mounting plates look the same, and they're just to mount the winch on, so you don't need to break the bank for something this simple.

In addition to that, the other thing I have is the Warn Medium Duty Winching Kit. It's a bit pricey (because it's the Warn name), but I bought it because it included everything I needed to go along with the winch, in a handy bag to carry it in. You could piece the stuff together separately and probably come out a bit cheaper, but I liked that this had all the accessories I needed, and it was ready to go.
Are there any other good winch kits out there that are cheaper but still good? Or is it worth it to pay for one of the name brands? This one looks decent but might be worth it to spend a little more for better quality stuff