What is the best year and model of Wrangler?

I love my 03. I couldn’t afford a Rubicon, but did add a rear locker to the Sport. It has been a great Jeep. Mines a manual, I really like the experience driving it. But, I don’t rock crawl so I really don’t need that control you get with an automatic, going to zero miles an hour and not using the clutch is kind of nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm kind of biased, but I like my '04 Rubicon. I don't like the older interior colors and the extra money to get a Rubicon was well spent. I wanted both lockers and after wheelin with other TJs without both lockers I'm glad I held out for a Rubicon. Some of the obstacles that others struggled with I breezed through. They also had to carry more speed to make it through the sticky spots.

Reactions: KMG and glwood
I'm also biased, but I don't think there is a better looking Jeep than a forest green TJ with a Sahara interior. The color combo just works. I'm not sure what year they stopped doing that color combo, but I don't remember seeing any newer year Jeeps with that combo.

If I wasn't concerned about color, a 2003-2004 Rubicon is what I would want.

IMG_0173.jpg

Pre-2000 wranglers I have looked at seem to have better part and assembly quality. It seems American car manufacturing went through some shortcutting in early 2000s.

In all my research, I've come to the conclusion that the 03-04 TJ's with the 4.0l are the best years.
If you can swing an 03-04 Rubi, you have arguably one of the best Wranglers ever made.

As mentioned previously, the 03-04's had:
  • A better, stronger manual transmission (not sure about auto's)
  • A better engine (not prone to head cracks, reliable OPDA assembly, less emissions equipment than 05-06, better tech than older 4.0's)
  • Updated interior

If you bring the Rubi package into the equation, you now mostly nix all the issues found on the standard TJ:
  • Dana 44's all around with air lockers; albeit the air lockers have questionable durability (mine have worked flawlessly)
  • 4.10's standard
  • Fixed rear yoke
  • Sealed U-joints and stronger driveshafts
  • Better T-Case
  • Super cool hood decal

I'm also biased, but I don't think there is a better looking Jeep than a forest green TJ with a Sahara interior. The color combo just works. I'm not sure what year they stopped doing that color combo, but I don't remember seeing any newer year Jeeps with that combo.

If I wasn't concerned about color, a 2003-2004 Rubicon is what I would want.

View attachment 59040

From a looks perspective, green Saharas are definitely the best looking, especially when they have the stock wheel cover. However, for the most part, I still generally prefer the matte fender plastic over the fully painted fenders.

jeep-sahara-logo-tire-cover-42.jpg

That being said, I wish we had more custom paint trims like the older Wranglers had like the CJ Renegades and YJ Islanders.
1519509058565ef66e7dff9f98F91530E4-E45F-489F-A5F4-D6E560358A6D_zps3jdxe2yn-940x705.jpg

3646_1_jeep_wrangler_islander_graphics_kit_cj_yj_tj_lj_tk_decal_stripes.jpg

Still, it could be worse. Look at the JKs and JLs. Even the Saharas are incredibly bland.
sahara-cover.jpg

Reactions: KennedyLJ and H_E_H