What is the best year and model of Wrangler?

With all the often insurmountable problems 05-06 Wranglers have I dunno why either of those two years would be your ideal Wrangler.

Sounds like the fact it is a rare Rubi LJ makes it ideal to him.

Also, slow down on the doom and gloom there Jerry.

With all the often insurmountable problems 05-06 Wranglers have I dunno why either of those two years would be your ideal Wrangler.
Aside from the minor gas overflow issue, I haven't had any issues with my '06 related to its year of release and all issues I've had have been minor at best. Not sure how it would be described as "insurmountable". Now, I'll admit that my '06 still has low mileage, but I've been the sole owner since 2007.

Knock on wood, but my check engine light has yet to show its face.

You see less weird emissions and electrical issues posted with 04 and prior in my opinion.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
2000 to 02
  • The highest breakover angle as a result of the transfer case crossmember/bash plate not being lowered like all the TJ's that came later to try and curb the factory drive shaft vibration issues.
  • The NV3550 box will run upside down full of water in a creek and still limp back to the trailhead. Literally bulletproof!

Hot tip: if you're lucky enough to have a NV3550 in you Wrangler? Try running the OEM oil. Shifts get sticky over time with any other oil and you don't notice it until you use the right oil.

Hot tip: if you're lucky enough to have a NV3550 in you Wrangler? Try running the OEM oil. Shifts get sticky over time with any other oil and you don't notice it until you use the right oil.
A gear lube that receives 100% good reviews and recommendations for the NV3550 and NSG370 is Redline MTL.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
A gear lube that receives 100% good reviews and recommendations for the NV3550 and NSG370 is Redline MTL.
Thank's Jerry, I'll try "Redline MTL" next time and post my up results, any particular grade that's right for the NV3550?

I've always used MOPAR 3500 until a mechanic asked me "How long since you replaced the gear oil?", I couldn't remember so I let him change it without giving it another thought. In addition, I'd not long fitted a hurst short throw shifter and was pretty happy with the results but a few weeks later I began getting frustrated with the box sticking in 1st while coasting to a stop, you had to use more then the usual force to get into neutral.
I ended up pulling the Hurst shifter and replacing it with the OEM one but still I didn't twig until the penny dropped and I remembered "How long since you replaced the gear oil?".

I dropped whatever oil was in my NV and gave it a drink of MOPAR 3500, happy days immediately returned but I still cant get my head around how much difference it made, makes me think how many old TJ's are out there with sticky shifts that can be fixed with a simple oil change.
Definitely!
We didn't get the RUBICON in AU (shakes head) until the JK so it's not in my picture... unfortunately.

The six speed in late models was not for me, just a personal thing; I bought a new 97 and latter a new 01. Was keen to update to the six speed again when I test drove the 05 but was less than impressed with the audible clicking when shifting and I felt like I was always in the wrong gear, I stuck with the 01. Trouble with the five speed is the huge gap between 2nd and 3rd, the six speed is way better at getting the power down.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ