What is the correct CPS part number for 1998 TJ 2.5?

oldtimer

TJ Enthusiast
OK, I have been reading and searching for the correct part number to purchase a CPS for my 1998 SE 2.5l AX5 TJ. I keep finding conflicting information. Could someone Please help direct me to the proper part?
I am chasing the common bucking, hesitating at speed issue. What I have done so far is replace the TPS, IAC, Cleaned the Throttle Body and IAC housing. Replaced the upstream O2 sensor with the one recommended here. That actually made the jeep run better, but still has the same issue). I am getting ready to replace the plugs with the auto-lite AP985 also as recommended here.
Thank you,
Frank

Mopar 56027865 is what I came up with in the Mopar Parts List for the 2.5L engine used in 1998. I'd work very hard to find an actual Mopar replacement, aftermarket brands are a real crapshoot and many don't last long or work properly.

Last edited:
That is the correct CPS. You should probably order a new rubber seal as I doubt there is much left of the original.
Is there a rubber seal for the CPS? I've changed them several times over the past 20+ years and don't remember any rubber seal where it bolts onto the transmission housing.

Where's the rubber seal for a CPS? I've changed them several times over the past 20+ years and don't remember any rubber seal where it bolts onto the transmission housing.

The 2.5 has a rubber boot where the sensor slips in the bell housing, I guess to protect the clutch from contamination. I do not know if that translates to the 4.0 though, my seal was a sticky mess the last time I changed it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The 2.5 has a rubber boot where the sensor slips in the bell housing, I guess to protect the clutch from contamination. I do not know if that translates to the 4.0 though, my seal was a sticky mess the last time I changed it.
Interesting, I've never even seen the underside of an SE or the AX-5. Heck there may even have been one on my AX-15 or 32RH but it's been so long since saw either I don't recall one.

Interesting, I've never even seen the underside of an SE or the AX-5. Heck there may even have been one on my AX-15 or 32RH but it's been so long since saw either I don't recall one.

My seal was there but totally perished (as Ed say's on Wheeler Dealers) and I felt given the location tends to be a crap catchall it was better to have it in place.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford